Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Pregnant after D&C, before AF - Terrified! (loss mentioned)

Hi, this is my first time posting, even though I read some boards during my last pregnancy.

I found out at the end of November 2014 that I was pregnant (first time ever) and everything seemed to go along just fine - lots of symptoms, good US at 10 weeks with strong HB of 169. At my 15w checkup, my midwife couldn't find a HB on the doppler, so she sent me for an US the next day which confirmed that my baby had died (at 13w4d). It was a total MMC - I continued having morning sickness until my D&C. 
Here's where my fear and current situation comes in - I was on pelvic rest (no insertion of anything) for 2 weeks - followed that exactly. Told by my GP that I should wait one cycle before trying again for dating purposes and that it was unlikely I would ovulate before AF arrived in 6-8 weeks. I never had a chance to speak with the OB/GYN who did my surgery directly because a surgical resident was at my bedside post-op. She said I should wait at least 2-3 cycles before trying again, but in my post-anaesthesia haze I didn't ask why.

Now, I promise I'm not dumb- I know that doctors have reasons for the advice they give and I want to make it very clear that my husband and I were not trying against doctor's orders - we were doing our best to prevent and I was temping and taking OPKs to see when my body would return to 'normal'. Despite all of this, I seem to have gotten pregnant 3 weeks following the D&C. (I did test following the surgery to see when my levels returned to 0 and they had within a week). Judging by my temp chart, I think I ovulated around March 9 and subsequently got pregnant. Now I am very concerned about the future of this baby, not only because of the fear that comes after experiencing a loss, but also because it was against doctor's orders. From what I've been able to discern (without too much Google-ing to make me even more scared) doctors often say this to give time for emotional healing and for the uterine lining to build up again. I've made an appointment with my GP to ask questions, but based on last time I'm worried he might not be too helpful. I've tried to follow up with the OB/GYN who did the surgery as well, and he is on holiday.

Is there information I'm missing? Does anyone have a story similar to mine? I'd really appreciate knowing the outcome- no matter what. I'd like to be able to prepare myself mentally and emotionally if it's more likely that I'll lose this child too. 

Sorry for the long post! I don't have anyone in my family/friends who's experienced anything like this and I didn't know what else to do.

Re: Pregnant after D&C, before AF - Terrified! (loss mentioned)

• Options
    So crazy! I had a d&c and landed pregnant 3 weeks later also conceived on March 9! I'm a nervous wreck cause if I lose this one it'll be #3 in a row
  • Options

mamacloud - well, first things first, at least you know it's not a hangover of hcg levels from your loss.  That seems to come up quite frequently.  As for being pregnant now - are you on your prenatals?  Get thee to an ob/gyn - even another one at the same practice.  get in for blood tests to check all is well so they can reassure you.

Every doctor seems to have a different take on how long to wait. Mine told me one cycle.  Lo and behold we were expecting first try out and are now 18w 2d :) 

It's going to be scary.  It has been for me and I had 2 successful pregnancies before our loss. 

Try and get in with another doctor at your ob/gyn practice and if that fails - ask a friend for a reference so you can at least get peace of mind. 

Best of luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    After my miscarriage, my obgyn was very positive. She said there was no reason we couldnt get pregnant again right away if that was right for us.
  • Options
    My doc told me after my d&c to wait 3 months before i try but if i do get pregnant on accident right away that it's just fine. ..
  • Options
    Thank you all for your responses!
    I've been in to see the same OB/GYN who did my surgery and he seems fairly optimistic - except my embryology reports showed that our last baby (a little girl) was just perfect chromosomally, genetically, etc. So my MC is currently labeled as an unexplained fetal death. Without an identifiable reason, it could repeat, but we're hoping it doesn't. He's sent me for further blood testing too, to rule out some common blood clotting disorders.
    We had our first ultrasound on Monday and our little one has a good heartbeat and is measuring around 8 weeks. It bodes well that everything is going as it should right now!

Honestly, I feel like I might just have that fear in the back of my mind until we've at least passed 14 weeks with this one, if not until I hold him/her in my arms!
  • Options
    @mamacloud - congrats on your 8w bambino! As for fears/peace of mind... Only you know when the peace will overtake the fear. I wish you and bebe much health and good results over the coming months culminating in a safe delivery! Hugs xxxx
  • Options
    My husband's mother went to her follow-up appointment post miscarriage and found out, to her surprise, that she was pregnant. She was pregnant with him, so obviously that pregnancy went fine. Congratulations and good luck!
  • Options
    I understand that you would be worried but I think you and baby are going to be fine :). We started trying right away after the D&C because of exactly what you said- we read that there was really no need to wait. My doctor said we could start having sex after about 2 weeks, he recommended not trying to conceive until 2 cycles but the only reason he could really give was for dating. I read that you're your most fertile after a MC too which is another reason why we started trying again. It still took us 2 cycles to get pregnant again though! Good luck to you :)
  • Options
    I just wanted to stop in and thank you all again!
    I had my 14 week appointment this morning and I was terrified out of my mind because this was the point where we lost our baby last time - everything today was fine! Baby still has a strong heartbeat and we got to watch him/her suck its thumb! There are still no guarantees, but there never really are. Today I will celebrate that I made it past the scariest point and this is the most pregnant I've ever been!
    Once again, thank you all for your kind words and wishes. I'm thankful that there's a community that understands this kind of love and fear! I'm wishing all of you happy and healthy pregnancies too :)
  • Options
    @mamacloud I just found out this week that I am pregnant before AF after a d&c. I am terrified of having another mmc and not even knowing until I go to the doctor. Glad your pregnancy is going well, gives me more confidence that everything will go well with our rainbow baby.
  • Options
    I'm glad that my story can help someone somehow! I'm still nervous, for sure. I think after an MMC that fear is always in the back of your mind... But I hope that things go well for you this time too! You'll be in my prayers!