October 2015 Moms

What "Off Limits" thing do you miss most right now?

Re: What "Off Limits" thing do you miss most right now?

• Btw

I feel a little bad reading these because I haven't changed my diet at all. All my steak is rare, I eat sushi at least once a week, and if my eggs aren't runny, they're burned. Oh and I lick cake and brownie batter. Apparently I live life on the edge!

I want a medium rare steak so badddd !!! I'm so tempted
  • A cold beer or Izzy with vodka on opening day! =((

• Loading the player...
  • I do miss a nice cold beer and sleeping on my back. I haven't changed much in the diet department so reading all of this makes me feel bad. I just feel i don't need to become a vegan or vegetarian just because I'm pregnant. Doing everything in moderation.
  • Lovely Cheese Stilton/Brie and camenbare, not long girls and we can have what we miss xxxx
  • Exedrine Migraine, have had a nasty headache for two days that is almost halting any function.

• I  mostly just miss being excited by food. The past few weeks, eating has been more of a chore than anything. I do miss a glass of red wine every now and then and I'm sure I'll be wishing I could have a beer this summer.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lofinlofin member
    Sunny side up eggs!!
  • Diet coke.
  • DELI MEATS, and having more than my one cup of caffeine.... and craft beer!  
  • Jimmy Johns!
  • cdow14 said:

Jimmy Johns!

I still eat Jimmy Johns every once in awhile. I read another thread somewhere that is all about NOT depriving yourself of "Off-Limit" things. Basically she said if it didn't give you problems before you were pregnant, it should be ok now...the reason to avoid certain things is because there is only a minimal risk...so having things once in awhile and in moderation is okay.

Obviously I didn't go out and buy a bunch of Blue Bell ice cream, but I'm allowing myself things I miss in moderation and sparingly.

I quit coffee once I found out but the other day I was sooooo tired and falling asleep at my desk so I had a tiny 6 oz. cup and man did I realize how much of a tolerance I previously had because I was awake after that!
  • Not a huge drinker but I would enjoy a beer or two depending on my day or occasion...but when this heat hits later this summer I know I'm def going to miss that ice cold beer in mid day while having a nice lunch! I guess iced water will suffice for now!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I just had a sudden urge for a very ice cold dos XX beer.  :((
  • I eat subway, and runny egg yolks ! And deli meats ! Up until I read the stuff on here I didn't know there was even questions about it ?! When I was pregnant with my first, 4 years ago my Dr only said limit tuna intake because of mercury ! Never mentioned anything else, maybe a bit too cautious ! With my son I ate so much deli meats and he was 9 lbs 7 oz ! And strong and healthy !!
  • I eat subway, and runny egg yolks ! And deli meats ! Up until I read the stuff on here I didn't know there was even questions about it ?! When I was pregnant with my first, 4 years ago my Dr only said limit tuna intake because of mercury ! Never mentioned anything else, maybe a bit too cautious ! With my son I ate so much deli meats and he was 9 lbs 7 oz ! And strong and healthy !!

Doctors vary widely in what they recommend! And women vary in what they decide to do with that information. :) I generally avoid unheated deli meat, but there were two occasions during my pregnancy with DD when I had a choice of a sandwich with deli meat or nothing for hours. I chose to eat the sandwich. Honestly, I'd probably eat deli meat without giving it a second thought as long as I was comfortable with where it came from, but DH is a bit more concerned than I am and since it's his baby too, I'm fine with giving it up for 9 months. Also, I ate small amounts of tuna during pregnancy and it's only now, during my third pregnancy, that my midwife has suddenly told me they are no longer recommending it in any amount because of the mercury. Things are always changing!
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Going out to a pub with my husband and he gets to drink and I just stare at him
  • Wine....oh wine how I miss you! Tuna sashimi and rare steak!
  • edited April 2015
    @MrsN102714
    I get Caesars when I'm out all the time. I just order them virgin...and really...they don't taste that different.
  • My obgyn, naturopath and midwife have all stated (as does the research I've done) that pasteurized soft cheeses, fish and sushi are just fine.

Almost all cheeses are pasteurized, just read the label. But only eat it when you've just opened the package (direct from manufacturer, not sold re wrapped in cellophane), not leftovers. So Brie, Camembert, feta and fresh mozzarella (bocconcini) are just fine.

On average, Fish is fine (but stay away from shark, king mackerel, tilefish & swordfish as they have sky high levels of mercury), just limit it to only a few times a week and try to stay away from fish with higher mercury levels like tuna, marlin, etc. Other Seafood, like prawns, scallops, tilapia, salmon & cod, are completely fine.

As for sushi...I prefer to go with things like asparagus rolls, avocado rolls, ebi nigiri, ebi sunomono salad, and edamame. Although, raw fish is fine too (just follow the fish guidelines above). Basically it boils down to how the establishment preps and stores their fish. If you've eaten there before, never had any food related issues, and trust their handling practices ....there is nothing to stop you from eating it.

It's great to limit these things and protect yourself & your baby. Unfortunately of all the things we get warned against for food borne illnesses are due to recalls/epidemics that have happened in the past. It doesn't mean if you eat it, it's going to happen to you, although there are still chances...I may have just ingested copious amounts of listeria and ecoli in my daily morning shake made with frozen berries and my afternoon snack of hummus. (Talking about recent recalls for potential bacteria)
  • I love the chicken salad at dunkin donuts but won't eat it while im preggo. One of the first things ill be eating afterwards! And of course lunch meat!

I miss my Dunkin Donuts iced coffee. :(
  • Spray tanning!!!
  • Salads. My doctor does not allow raw vegetables unless i have washed them thoroughly myself. I so miss those elaborate salad dishes in fancy restaurants!
  • Runny eggs for sure! Breakfast is my favorite! My husband and I go out to breakfast every Sunday and its been so hard to not order eggs the way I normally like them cooked. My favorite are over easy or poached for eggs benedict or over toast. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
  • I want Jimmy Johns so bad! It will be the first thing I eat on my way home from delivering!
  • CBNSCBNS member
    I'm guilty of the sushi, but I stay clear of the tuna which is what I miss most! My tuna tartare with avo, mango, sweet chili, sesame, ginger and soy!!
  • edited April 2015
    FLONASE. Every time I sneeze (read: a billion times a day) my round ligament pain punishes me. Claritin does nothing for me.
  • Surfing and going to the beach! Used to surf a lot :(
  • I miss sooo much :(( I was a smoker and sometimes I would kill for a Cigarette but they make me so sick, I get nauseous if I smell smoke... So I guess it makes it easier not to smoke. Sushi, I live on Maui so we have amazing raw fish... And hot tubs, again Maui, hot tubbing was one of my favorite past times. Oh and eggs Benedict... And of course coffee, I get jealous when SO drinks it every morning.
  • @mrsdhouse89 I switched to iced decaf at dunkis. Still not the same tho.
  • Beer. I can't imagine going all summer missing out on the new craft brews.... And roller coasters :(
  • Mmmm really great unpasteurized cheeses with a glass of wine
  • I miss my beer, wine and sushi so much. There are a few summer beers I look forward to drinking every year, so I will be buying a few of each so I can have them after the baby comes!
  • Nothing!
    I switched my tea to decaf. I do not drink alcohol. I still eat deli meats. And I still go to the gym four days a week and lift weights. I'm living life exactly how I did before. Just a little heavier on the weight side LOL
  • There is a great margarita slush recipe that my family uses for parties on the summer. You prepare ahead and freeze then add your alcohol as needed. It calls for frozen lemonade and limeade concentrate. I couldn't find the actual recipe on short notice but I bet Pinterest has something. You freeze the mix and add club soda and alcohol when you prepare the final.
  • I miss Caesar salads, chicken Caesar wraps from restaurants. I always ordered them but most places use raw egg for the dressing. So disappointing. Also I will miss cider beer this summer
  • Dayquil!!!
  • I agree with ibuprofen lol! I have been craving a sangria from olive garden lol
  • Wine, a nice sweet red! Oh I miss wine....