August 2014 Moms
Options

Stay at home moms?

how do you do it?! My husband is joining the Air Force and he would like me to stay at home to raise our family. At first I was so excited but now I'm scared! I've always looked at work like "me time".

Re: Stay at home moms?

• Options
    I am a SAHM and I love it. It is hard at times but I am so happy I get to watch my DD grow!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I work part time (2 days per week) and that's the perfect balance for me. Maybe you could discuss with your H and meet in the middle? I get a little "me" time after work and before I pick LO up from daycare and it's really nice. But I'm home with her the other 5 days of the week so I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
    TTC Since July 2013
    BFP #1 8/8/13, EDD 4/16/14
    MMC discovered on 9/18/13 @ 10w, baby measuring 9w. D&C on 9/26/13

BFP #2 12/7/13
    , EDD 8/12/13. It's a girl!
    Caroline Marie born 8/20/14. 8lbs 11oz, 21 inches and perfect!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I work part time from home, just 10-15 hours a week so I can squeeze it in during his naps, which does mean little me time but I think it's totally worth it. I love being able to spend time with him, see his development, bond with him, etc. Weekends I usually get some me time which is good for both baby and me!
  • Options
    I'm a SAHM and I homeschool my daughter. And I just take it a day at a time. Savor every moment with them. Chores can wait. My "me time"? Long warm showers or reading books or our group nap times! (Very blessed my kids love nap time) It's definitely not easy, but I can't picture it any other way.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input! I feel a little calmer about the situation. I'm thinking slowly cutting my days at work back will help with the transition.
  • Options
    I can not wait to home school my DD!! I was and I loved it untill my parents put me in public school and then i was so mad and hated it. 

Anniversary

• Options
    As pp mentioned, it's the most challenging yet rewarding thing I've ever done. I've been a SAHM for years now and there's been ups and downs. I love being home with my kids but I must admit sometimes I do feel like I've lost a bit of my identity. But I do think in the end it's worth the sacrifices. I do love being there with my kids because before you know it they're off to school anyway. Good luck!! You'll have to let us know how it goes. :)
  • Options

If you are used to working, having co-workers, etc. it will be  a shock to lose so much of your identity. There is very little downtime to dress yourself and keep up your social life.  It is really thankless work and I frequently hear how lucky I am not to work. Haha!  Meanwhile, I never get a break.

I think it would also be shocking to most women who haven't been around stay-at-home moms, how busy they really are. This is much tiring than my usual work, which is an incredibly intense high-pressure job. At the same time, it is less stimulating and there is a lot of useless time, time in which there isn't enough opportunity to accomplish anything or begin anything.

The most difficult part may be convincing your husband that you do not have the time or energy to keep the house and make all the meals and wake up throughout the night in addition to caring for the child during the day. Some men may think that a stay at home mom transforms into a 1950ties middle-class domestic goddess without remembering that those womens all had live-in maids. I would have a talk with him regardless of staying home or working, and discuss the division of labor. It is importnat to know beforehand whether who will be getting up during the night, housework, etc.

I know I don't sound like I'm in favor of staying home but I do think it is important. Whether you work or stay home, your child will be fine. Foe me, staying home seems to be the best thing for my girl and I think contributes to her overall disposition of happiness and calm.
  • Options

If you are used to working, having co-workers, etc. it will be  a shock to lose so much of your identity. There is very little downtime to dress yourself and keep up your social life.  It is really thankless work and I frequently hear how lucky I am not to work. Haha!  Meanwhile, I never get a break.

I think it would also be shocking to most women who haven't been around stay-at-home moms, how busy they really are. This is much tiring than my usual work, which is an incredibly intense high-pressure job. At the same time, it is less stimulating and there is a lot of useless time, time in which there isn't enough opportunity to accomplish anything or begin anything.

The most difficult part may be convincing your husband that you do not have the time or energy to keep the house and make all the meals and wake up throughout the night in addition to caring for the child during the day. Some men may think that a stay at home mom transforms into a 1950ties middle-class domestic goddess without remembering that those womens all had live-in maids. I would have a talk with him regardless of staying home or working, and discuss the division of labor. It is importnat to know beforehand whether who will be getting up during the night, housework, etc.

I know I don't sound like I'm in favor of staying home but I do think it is important. Whether you work or stay home, your child will be fine. Foe me, staying home seems to be the best thing for my girl and I think contributes to her overall disposition of happiness and calm.

This is so well put. This sums into words what I feel but haven't been able to express. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Options
    I agree with above. I do way more busy now and on me feet more. Not only do I clean and cook (We live with my dad and Nana even tho my mom has passed away now. Dad does not want me to leave) for a house of 5 we also have a dog and out side work. I do shopping and the trash and take car of my DD. I do it all with no help most of the time but I am happy that i get to see my DD all day.

Anniversary

• Options

This... exactly this... very well said.
  • Options
    I have gained so much confidence and a much better understanding with all of your help. In truly thankful!