July 2015 Moms

maternity leave

I work as a waitress and make 11.00 and hour I do not claim my tips I make about 600 every two weeks I am due July first and my goal is to make it to June first for my last day of work I'll be 36 weeks I'm curious to know how much I'll receive I know it won't be much this will be my first time collecting and would like to hear what you guys received

Re: maternity leave

• What are you planning on collecting? Short term disability insurance???
  • I plan on collecting maternity
    leave EI
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it varies state to state.
  • What is maternity leave el?
  • Yeah it varies for each state. Texas doesn't have anything like this for maternity.
  • There is no paid maternity leave anywhere in the US. You would need to had a short term disability policy or something similar in order to receive paid leave. Are you in the US or Canada?
  • If you're in Canada, you'd get 55% of your earnings for up to 52 weeks. Not sure how they would calculate for you since your earnings would vary from week to week.
  • In California, you get 6 weeks family leave up to around 50% pay. Sadly, that's the most progressive policy in the US. 52 weeks in Canada! Gosh our country needs to get out of the dark ages. :(
  • cls2015cls2015 member
    edited April 2015
    The only thing required in the US is FMLA (that is unpaid time off for 12 weeks).  And, in order to receive that, you must work at a company with at least 50 employees and have worked there for at least 1 year (and 1250 hours).  

A few states have there own laws which provide for more time off or paid time off, but not many states do this.

It's really the contract you signed when you began working that you need to go by.  Most companies set there own policies, but you need to check into that. I think with an hourly wage job, you may not be offered much, if anything.

• Paid maternity leave is not a requirement for any state in the US. However, some companies still offer it. You need to speak with HR or your manager. Most places, however, do offer short term disability. It's usually not your full salary though. In my case, my company pays 60% of my salary for 6 weeks (normal delivery) or 8 weeks (c-section). I can start collecting that after the first 7 days I'm off. Either way, you need to speak with someone now to figure out what you'll be bringing in for those several weeks you're off!
  • If you're in Canada, you'd get 55% of your earnings for up to 52 weeks. Not sure how they would calculate for you since your earnings would vary from week to week.

I thought in Canada, or at least Ontario, that the maximum amount you can earn is 55%, but more than likely it will be less. I'm just not sure how that percentage is determined though.
  • I will be making 55% of my pay while on maternity leave in California. But its through state disability.
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker

Not entirely true, the amount you get varies province to province.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Canada your maternity leave/parental leave is paid through service Canada - same as where employment insurance comes from. You get 55% for 52 weeks although you max out at $47000. Some employers top up for a certain amount of time as well or offer their own maternity benefits that would give you more time.
  • mnj05mnj05 member
    It comes down more to policy with your insurance company if you have short term disability than state laws. I've worked in two school districts in Texas and pregnant in both. My policy with my first gave me 75% of my pay for 6 weeks. This policy this time around will not pay me anything unless I'm out for more than 60 days, highly unlikely unless it's bed rest.

I took my full 12 weeks the first time, paid for the first 6. This time, I'll be lucky to take two weeks when the school year starts which would put me around 8 weeks off total from birth.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• I work for Citi and depending on your start date you get 13 weeks fully paid. And then this year they added dads so if a father works for Citi he gets 2 weeks paid when the child is born.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"