Baby Names

Narrowing Down Girl Names?

So after quietly lurking for a bit, I have a question:

Ariadne (Ah-ree-ahd-nay vs. Ah-ree-ahd-nee) or Thalia (Tall-yah vs. Tall-lee-ah vs. THAL-ya)?

Possible middle names: Helene, Eirene or Irene.  

We're also open to any other names within the same theme that we should consider? 

Re: Narrowing Down Girl Names?

• 4N6s4N6s member
    No to Ariadne...
    I like Thalia.
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    Thalia Helene

I pronounce it Tall-ee-ya
  • Loading the player...
  • Ariadne pronounced Ah-ree-ahd-nee 

Thalia pronounced THAL-ya 

Thalia Irene works
    Not really crazy about either middle name with Ariadne though. Would keep looking.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • I should add that Persephone is our third choice, but our families hate the idea (I'm more focused on the strong mother/daughter bond, but honestly the " Queen of the Underworld" doesn't bother either of us).  Not 100% we care, but here I am on the 'nets asking for opinions on names, so there ya go...

Thanks you guys-Thalia was my choice (DH picked Ariadne). I appreciate the replies. @brita722...any other ideas for middle names? We were thinking of picking a one syllable middle name, since the last name may involve a hyphen.
  • ==N====N== member
    Thalia (Tahl-ya) Irene.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Thalia is the only one I can see on a resume.
  • I'd say Thalia (pronounced Thal-ya; if you want Tall-ya or Tall-ee-a, I'd lose the "h").

And if you both like Persephone, why not use it? Who cares what your families think.  If they want to name babies, they should have babies...or if it's your parents, they already named babies.  Your turn now :)

For one-syllable middle names with Thalia: Rose, Jane, Grace, June, Claire, Kate, Kay (?)
  • Blue1922 said:

I should add that Persephone is our third choice, but our families hate the idea (I'm more focused on the strong mother/daughter bond, but honestly the " Queen of the Underworld" doesn't bother either of us).  Not 100% we care, but here I am on the 'nets asking for opinions on names, so there ya go...

Thanks you guys-Thalia was my choice (DH picked Ariadne). I appreciate the replies. @brita722...any other ideas for middle names? We were thinking of picking a one syllable middle name, since the last name may involve a hyphen.
    I love Persephone! I also love that all three of your name choices are from Greek Mythology, very cool. 

Based on meaning I think Thalia and Persephone would pair best with a nature inspired name. Thalia is to blossom. Persephone, returns to the world for half of the year, thus affecting the seasons... 

June
    Pearl
    Eve
    Rose
    Wren
    Lark
    Dawn
    May
    Sky
    Fleur

You could also consider pairing Persephone with either Autumn or Winter, if she is born during one of those seasons. I know this breaks the one syllable rule but the meaning behind it would be especially unique.

Ariadne is most holy...

Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • So we're running through the possibilities now- thanks so much! This was supremely helpful. Good point  CherylAnn789 although to be honest, in my family we will completely disregard a name if we don't like it and give out a new one (I'm guilty of doing it myself).  If we go with any of the three they will likely be given new names, as my family thinks I'm an oddball anyway.

Ariadne Elaine (Ari-ahd-nee)
    Ariadne Cora Ree
    Thalia Grace  (Thal-ya)
    Thalia Irene
    Persephone Cora Ree (Cora Ree is a family name. Similarity to Kore, another name for Persephone isn't lost on us)
    Persephone Marie
    Persephone Dawn 

• I like Ariadne best with the pronunciation Ah-ree-ahd-nay because that's the only way I have ever heard it and because the other way sounds like Rodney.
  • Ariadne Helene is cute.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"