June 2015 Moms
Options

Things I didn't know as a FTM...

I felt pretty prepared as a FTM since I had sisters much younger than me and had young foster kids around me while growing up....but alas! Stuff surprised me! ;)
What did you not know that you'd like to pass on??

I had no idea that after the baby was born, she wouldn't need to start nursing every 2-3 hrs immediately because their bellies are minuscule! After the nurses informed me, I had two nights of blissful (as blissful as hospital sleep can be) sleep, not worrying about my babe in the nursery.
P.S. If the baby can go to the nursery during the night at the hospital, DH and I HIGHLY recommend it!! Get caught up a bit on sleep! The baby will be fine.

Re: Things I didn't know as a FTM...

• Options
    That gallstones are pretty common and excruciatingly painful. Talk about a brutal surprise

And that there is a formula that helps with colic. Our DD was colic for 10 months!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm with the Pp's. I did not know how hard and painful breastfeeding would be. I would suggest taking a class before your baby is born if you plan to nurse. The pain doesn't last forever but it was really hard for me. I was able to nurse until my DD waned herself at 15 months. So see a lactation constant once your baby is here and don't give up :)
  • Options
    @lovethatcolosun did you keep a balance of your regular friends and your "new mom" friends? I ask because I already feel like I am missing my "regular" friends and getting closer to pregnant friends who weren't as close before... And while it's really nice to have that camaraderie, it also depresses me a bit that my friends are already fading out. Every time people tell me to join a Mommy group, I die a little inside...
  • Options
    @devyns2nd oh yeah. I almost forgot about that! They are so gross! I totally LOL'd reading your post. Ugh. The poopy blowouts and the projectile vomit.

They're still so cute though :)
  • Options
    TheEATheEA member
    I found out that there is something called PP Thyroiditus. I had it but didn't know it. I went in for an annual physical and my thyroid levels were crazy off. I thought I was going crazy but it turns out that this is something that isn't too uncommon. It usually shows up around 4 months after you give birth. Your thyroid basically gets confused and your levels go from extremely high to extremely low like a pendulum. They eventually go back to normal. My symptoms were forgetfulness, pretty severe depression, thinning hair, insomnia, dry skin, rapid weight loss, and loss of appetite (hence the weight loss).
  • Options
    TheEA said:

I found out that there is something called PP Thyroiditus. I had it but didn't know it. I went in for an annual physical and my thyroid levels were crazy off. I thought I was going crazy but it turns out that this is something that isn't too uncommon. It usually shows up around 4 months after you give birth. Your thyroid basically gets confused and your levels go from extremely high to extremely low like a pendulum. They eventually go back to normal. My symptoms were forgetfulness, pretty severe depression, thinning hair, insomnia, dry skin, rapid weight loss, and loss of appetite (hence the weight loss).

One of my friends has this! She's had 3 kids and hers has been so bad that her doctor actually recommended getting her thyroid removed because they thought she actually had cancer. So scary!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    amark11 said:

@lovethatcolosun did you keep a balance of your regular friends and your "new mom" friends? I ask because I already feel like I am missing my "regular" friends and getting closer to pregnant friends who weren't as close before... And while it's really nice to have that camaraderie, it also depresses me a bit that my friends are already fading out. Every time people tell me to join a Mommy group, I die a little inside...

I still have most of my original friends, only a few faded away. I just see them less. The ones I see on a weekly basis are the moms with tots that are my DS age. For me these moms were my life line. We had pretty much the same schedules, understood if we needed to interrupt plans because of a child, and had no hard feelings because of such, and could totally relate to what I was going through. My old friends are still so much fun to hang out with because I don't feel like "mom" when I'm with them. Believe me, girls nights and happy hours are still a regular thing. It's all about a balance.
  • Options
    TheEATheEA member
    I'm glad your friend didn't have cancer. PP Thyroiditus is no joke! All of the symptoms I listed were to the extreme. It was very rough and I couldn't do anything about it because I was breastfeeding. Even if I would have been able to take meds it's hard to get the dosage right because your levels change.
  • Options
    I learned that sometimes your birth plan does not go the way you think. You prepare for labor and are scared out of your mind..only to find out your water broke..you haven't dilated and it's going on 24 hrs and they want the baby out because of risk of infection. So there I was scared and getting a csection. I did not know how much it would make me sad..and not feel like a real mom. It affected everything from breast feeding to bonding. Looking back yes, I most likely had ppd but I didn't get help. I wish I would have! Oh and did you know not every child likes a swing?? I thought that was like a rule..that every baby loved swings. Nope my first hated it! I ended up selling it lol
  • Options
    Totally agree with PPs about breastfeeding..... It is hard and exhausting! And even if I pumped a bottle I had to wake up to pump or feed again or I felt like my boobs would explode! I would get irrationally crazed when a well meaning friend or family member suggested DH take over the night feeding so I could sleep.... Yeah ok let me just give him my boobs to take with him!
  • Options
    ElRuby said:

Totally agree with PPs about breastfeeding..... It is hard and exhausting! And even if I pumped a bottle I had to wake up to pump or feed again or I felt like my boobs would explode! I would get irrationally crazed when a well meaning friend or family member suggested DH take over the night feeding so I could sleep.... Yeah ok let me just give him my boobs to take with him!

Even if you did pump a bottle earlier for a feeding.. You'd have to pump while he's feeding the baby or your boobs would explode lol
  • Options
    mccall35 said:

That I honestly do know more about my baby than my mother, grandmother, MIL, everyone else in the world. It can be tempting to look to others in those first few weeks, months, years, but believe me, life is much much easier if you do what feels right for you and your little family! Spoiler alert: everyone you talk to will give you the "best advice", most of which will be conflicting. Trust your instincts, you really do got this!

Right! I knew what every cry was for and how they were different. Every time another mom here's your baby cry they KNOW what's wrong And they WILL tell you what to do since your a FTM and know nothing.

I also became DDs personal translator. So cute.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention the insane hormonal swings after birth. I literally would start crying for no reason at all, just a huge rush of emotions! The nurses are totally use to it, the husbands are not. Thankfully my sister warned me about this so I wasn't totally caught off guard.
  • Options

I forgot to mention the insane hormonal swings after birth. I literally would start crying for no reason at all, just a huge rush of emotions! The nurses are totally use to it, the husbands are not. Thankfully my sister warned me about this so I wasn't totally caught off guard.

I believe you. And love this thread. But I'm a FTM and I'm just saying maybe this won't shock my husband... ;-)
  • Options
    On a heavy note, I had to learn not to neglect the relationship with my hubby. Talk about things not related to baby, have sex, listen to his work problems. When we brought home our daughter it was like we really needed to reconnect. Don't forget that relationship as husband and wife vs. mom and dad.

On a lighter note....the umbilical corn stump is gross! It gets all stinky and nasty. My dog was obsessed with smelling it! You can't bathe baby properly until it falls off so it gathers dust and stuff. You can clean it with a q-tip but it's still nasty!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"