March 2015 Moms
Options

Eye goop

hi all, my little girl will be 3 weeks tomorrow and she has been having yellowish goop in her eyes for the past 4-5 days. The dr says its probably just blocked tear duct and that it will clear up on its own but I am having a hard time waiting it out. I've tried putting Breast milk on it and I've tried rubbing the corners of her eyes as well. Any other suggestions?

Re: Eye goop

• Options
    hm maybe a reaction to the eye drops after birth? i would keep on with the breast milk, that's the best for eye gunk!!

• Options
    Our doc told us the same thing about the clogged duct and it does seem better after cleaning it at least twice a day with a clean cotton ball or cotton make up applicator and water. Our doc also recommended massaging the lacramal tear duct (from the corner of the eye down the side of the nose) when we cleaned the eye. Good luck. Hope it clears up soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter had the same type of thing. I called her Pediatrician and she recommended polysporin antibiotic eye drops. It cleared up within a day or two of using them.
  • Options
    My son had a clogged tear duct for his first two weeks from birth.. We used a wet cotton ball and wiped it several times a day and dabbed a little breast milk on it. It hung around until my husband showered with him and I guess the steam helped clear it up because it was gone the next day. That was a week ago and there's been no sign of it since!
  • Options
    Do you work with essential oils? If so, lavender will help. My LO had the same thing. Put 1/2 drop of lavender with a tablespoon of carrier oil (olive, coconut, etc) and mix together. Take your pinky finger and dip into the mixture, rub the mixture on the bridge of the nose and follow the bone under the eye. It will help. The mixture can be used over and over again as it takes very little each time you do it. Be careful not to get in the eye. I did this every time I changed her diaper for 1-2 days and it completely cleared. Good luck :)
    SJMomma
  • Options
    Hi... My son also has had the eye goop for about a week and a half. I took him to the doc and she said it was a blocked duct. I have been wiping it everytime I feel the urge to do so with a warm wash cloth. He doesn't seem to mind it as much bc of the warmth and it really is clearing up. She also said to massage the corner to help get the goop out. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    My baby today 6 days old and having the same problem.. So my pediatrician this morning andhe said to wet a cotton ball with warm water and rub up and down the side of the nose that has the eye issue 3 times a day. This will clear it up!
  • Options

Do you work with essential oils? If so, lavender will help. My LO had the same thing. Put 1/2 drop of lavender with a tablespoon of carrier oil (olive, coconut, etc) and mix together. Take your pinky finger and dip into the mixture, rub the mixture on the bridge of the nose and follow the bone under the eye. It will help. The mixture can be used over and over again as it takes very little each time you do it. Be careful not to get in the eye. I did this every time I changed her diaper for 1-2 days and it completely cleared. Good luck :)

wow i hadn't heard that one - do you think a decoction of a strong lavender tea would work? i am paranoid about EOs near eyeballs, esp in babies
  • Options
    I'm not too sure. I just put it on the bridge and under the eye when she was really sleepy. Because I used my pinky and barely any oil, it worked out. She was really calm and not moving too much, so I wasn't afraid of getting it in her eye as there wasn't an abundance of it. If you google it or look on Pinterest, it will show you the recipe. I use young living oils and have a book for use with babies. I just followed that. With my son (who is two now, I used the warm rag and the wipe/massage method and it worked over time) but it was not early as effective or timely as the EO.
    SJMomma
  • Options
    It's not a reaction fro the eye medicine givwn to her 3 weeks ago. The time lapse doesn't support it. Nasolacrimal duct narrowing is common and does improve with time. It tends to affect one eye and there is no redness of the eye but just goop. If you would like a med-free approach, local massage and wipe is the most natural.