2nd Trimester

I am a terrible person - help!

Hello all - almost 26wks along here with my first baby. Hoping for some opinions or advice, or maybe even someone in a similar boat. I am step-mother to a little boy who just turned 4, and he lives with his father and me full-time. His mother died when he was 6 months old, so there is no mother even in the picture. I treat this little boy well, we get along fine and I do what I am supposed to for him, but I can't honestly say that I feel motherly to him or love him like he's my own child. 
Ideally, when this baby comes (beginning of July), I'd like to stay home for at least my allowed 12 weeks under FMLA, maybe even more. The issue is this: my step-son is currently in preschool/daycare that we pay for (almost $750 a month), but his father wants to take him out of it for the time that I am home with the baby. He figures, why pay $750 a month to daycare when I am home anyways? 
I understand the money aspect from his point of view, but I've been saving for my time off since I found out I was pregnant, and we will be fine financially. The truth is, I don't want to take care of his son all day in addition to a baby. I know it's not "right" to say it, but I don't feel the same about his son as I do my own child already, and I DO want to stay home with my baby for a time, but I DON'T want to be a stay-at-home to my stepson as well, and since he is already in a daycare, I don't see why he can't just stay in it even though I'm home. 
Am I a terrible person for feeling this way?

Re: I am a terrible person - help!

• You aren't terrible. I think a good point to bring to your husband is that taking his son out of a familiar routine is a bad idea.

You need time home by yourself with baby & your SS can continue to go to school with his friends.

Yes money is awesome, but there is more than just money going on here. It's familiar structure.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I don't think you're a terrible person for feeling this way...I mean you don't hate your step-son, do you?  I just take it as you would rather spend time alone with just your child?  Is there any way to meet in the middle where your step-son can go half a week to day care and half a week stay with you?  
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll stay away from your family dynamics. Have you brought this idea up with the daycare? If you pull him out, they don't have to save his spot if they've got another paying customer who wants it. Have you considered the implications of this, beyond financially? 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It's natural to feel more for your in child than you do for your step child. I have 3 step kids and they are lovely, lovely children. However, we do not share that motherly bond because I'm not their mom. As long as your actions are fair and you treat the child kindly, that's all you can really ask of yourself. So many people will make you think that you're a horrible person for not loving them like your own. Ignore that, seriously. There are legitimate hormonal reactions that are responsible for that motherly bond that can't really be replicated. You can control your actions towards the child but you can't control your feelings, which are perfectly natural.

I think you should be able to use that postpartum time to bond with your own child instead of spending that time feeling guilty and resentful that you can't give your baby your full attention during that time. That $750 for daycare is payment toward your own sanity. You are not terrible for wanting that. With my own kids, I kept my older ones at home for a week and then it was back to the usual schedule. I needed the time to be able to bond with the baby as much as I did with my older ones. As a FTM, you'll need that time to adjust and deal with crazy hormone changes. How about the son stays home for as long as dad is home? It's not easy balancing the demands of a newborn with a preschooler (believe me, I know) and it would help if dad was there to pick up the slack. Is that a workable compromise?
  • Thank you, CatsAreShady. I posted this on my July 2015 due date board as well and almost all of the responses have been the "how can you not love this poor little boy with no mommy???" stuff. 
    It is a different feeling when it is your own child and I'm ok with that, and his dad gets it too. He's not being neglected or abused because I don't feel some magical way about him. Just not sure how I can rightfully ask his dad to keep spending the money when I'm not working. I wouldn't want him home all the time if he were my own kid, I don't think!

• Thank you, CatsAreShady. I posted this on my July 2015 due date board as well and almost all of the responses have been the "how can you not love this poor little boy with no mommy???" stuff. 

It is a different feeling when it is your own child and I'm ok with that, and his dad gets it too. He's not being neglected or abused because I don't feel some magical way about him. Just not sure how I can rightfully ask his dad to keep spending the money when I'm not working. I wouldn't want him home all the time if he were my own kid, I don't think!

I figured you'd get those comments. The expectations that people have of step parents is unreal AND unrealistic. You can feel love for a stepchild, for sure. But I think people are severely underestimating the parental bond when they say it should be easy to just love any child like they're your own. No one knows what it's like until they're in your shoes.

I think you're going to have to be candid with him. Explain how you need that time to adjust to being a new mom and getting used to having your baby. The boy will fair better at daycare where he'd be able to get much more stimulation during the day rather than be cooped up at home with a crying baby. Or offer to have him go for a few days a week instead of daily. It's also better to stay consistent with his schedule. Be honest and be open to compromise. But also let your needs be known, only do what you can handle.
  • It's likely better for stepson not to be pulled out of a social setting that's helpful at 4 yrs (school soon!).
    See if he can keep his place but with maybe a day or 2 at home with you. It's also possible that raising them together in those early days (though not ALL the time) will help foster more of a bond which, I think, is healthy for you both. It's great that you can admit the difference you feel, but likely best for all involved if A bond (not THE bond of mom and child) can be created...you are not a terrible person at all for feeling this way, but this is a kid with no mom...you'll likely slide into those feelings, just not right away. And that's healthy.
  • I don't think you are terrible.

It all comes down to how you treat him.

I grew up as a step child in a family who clearly favoured the biological children.

Can I say something about this experience that may help?

I was always the one they were strictest on, the one that had less freedom and the one that was ignored the most. Even my biological mother sided with her husband and their biological daughter. I was always kept out of the family in ways. Their daughter was given everything, while I was just the ugly reminder of past baggage.

Your step son doesn't have this history, he lost his mother. It's okay you don't feel the same connection to him. It's okay you don't feel that motherly bond to him. You are not terrible to feel this way.

But you know what? As long as you show equal fairness, inclusiveness, and attention to him, there's still a good bond potential and he will still feel like he is a part of the family. You may not be his mom, and you don't have to be, BUT you are his only mother figure to him now. It's a hard balance, but it's how you handle the situation and how you treat him that will make the difference.

Sorry, I feel a little strongly on this kind of situation, but I think there's still so much that can be done in this situation that can be positive :)

Well said. I always think of step parenting as feelings versus actions. Sometimes your actions can trick your feelings into following along. But if there's one thing that I can't stand, it's when kids aren't treated fairly. Now I don't believe fair=equal, even in an intact family. But fair as in everyone feels included and isn't denied attention in any way. There are other ways to include the son besides keeping him home with her day after day for 3 months.
  • I no longer associate with my mother or my step family. I don't have a mother, nor really a mother figure. All because I was not really treated like I belonged in the family. I would not want to see any child ever go through that.

I think, the least you can do is treat him fairly and be there for him as best as he can. You don't have to FEEL the same connection with him, but he still does deserve love, attention, and a sense of family. At least, those are the things I personally would have liked to have had growing up. Kids are very smart with figuring things out. So, careful with how you treat him and how you treat your child. They're both family and should always feel that same sense of love and belonging.

The OP did say in her first post that she wouldn't even want her own child home with her in this situation.

I think the OP can foster a good relationship with her step son, and I think he can grow up just as loved. All the OP is wanting is some time to adjust to having her own child because she's never experienced it before. Having a newborn is a different experience than having a toddler and preschooler. She wants some time to adjust to that.

She has actually never specified that she did not want her step son. She said she wanted some alone time to adjust.
  • He calls me by my name, not mom, for those who asked. Also for those who asked, his father is well aware of my feelings and doesn't think I'm wrong. I'm way harder on myself about it than he is. He tells me he was never trying to find a replacement mommy, he was hoping for someone who would accept that he had a full time son, but he never expected anyone to be the boys mother, and I go above and beyond his expectations for raising a child that's not my own.
    I wouldn't want him home all the time if he were my own child. I don't feel thrilled with asking my husband to continue to pay for daycare when I am home, but I want to figure out what this baby stuff is all about without a 4 year old needing my attention as well!
  • Wow. But I'm not too surprised.
    There's how you feel and there's how you act. I don't love my step kids like I love my own kids but they don't know the difference. Of course you understand that the kid/kids were there first and that you'll have a major role in their lives. But you can't fault OP for her feelings. If anything, I commend her for still doing what she has to do for him and she said they get along fine.

Good intentions going into marriage is met with the reality of things. We all know that there are many situations where the stepparent is neglectful or abusive but dont let that color every situation you see. The reality is that the poor boy lost his mom and she stepped up to help be a mother figure, but she's not his mom. That doesn't mean she treats him badly or he's being neglected (from what I've read. If that's the case then that's another story entirely). Wanting to bond with her own child for its first 3 months of life isn't selfish. She doesnt want to ship him away, she just wants to continue their routine. I have 3 kids and I kept my kids home for a week with the baby, then back to school/playdates they went so that I got time with the baby. Why is that only wrong when it involves stepkids? There are a lot of a assumptions being thrown around here.

Being a step parent is much harder and much more complicated than simply saying "love them as your own". Everyone else always knows the answers until they are in that situation, for real. Blended families have a 50-60% divorce rate because of issues like these. It took my DH and I a few years to get settled into roles that EVERYONE was happy with, which included many self help books and visits to a family therapist who specialized in blended families. Just my $0.02.
  • the problem with not keeping him home is because he isn't in school.  He is in day care, because both parents work.  If he was in kindergarten you of course leave him in school, but that is not the case here.  or even take him to preschool for a half day for the socialization, but the feelings behind these decisions are being made selfishly and not with the benefits of this child in mind at all.  "getting along fine"  is how you tolerate a coworker, not a living, breathing child, who lives in your home and depends on your for everything...HE IS 4 YEARS OLD!
  • I guess my thing is that everyone is assuming that the kid is unloved and neglected when that's not what I'm getting from this. She never said she didn't love the kid at all, just not like her own kid. Hownis that wrong? What would be wrong is ACTING like you love your kid more and treating the stepkid as such. Plus, this isn't a permanent situation, we're talking something temporary for just a few months. We tell pregnant women all the time that being selfish is okay when giving birth. I made plans for my older kids so that I had a few hours every day to be "selfish" and bond with my new baby. My middle child isn't in school and is mostly home with me, but I still set up playdates for her to get her out of the house and out of my hair for a bit. I made that decision "selfishly" as well. I just don't understand why that's wrong just because the child is a stepchild and not her bio child.
  • I didn't mean I'm a terrible person for not loving the kid like my own - he's not my own! No one said I wanted him pushed to the side, either - I just want him to continue going to his program while I'm home with the baby so I can get used to having a newborn around as well.

I meant is it terrible to ask dad to keep paying for daycare for him? Sorry if it wasn't clear what I was asking. 

The truth is I don't love this boy as if he were my son, he's not my son, and that's ok. I wouldn't want him home all the time if he was my own, either. 
  • NittanyPA said:

I guess my thing is that everyone is assuming that the kid is unloved and neglected when that's not what I'm getting from this. She never said she didn't love the kid at all, just not like her own kid. Hownis that wrong? What would be wrong is ACTING like you love your kid more and treating the stepkid as such. Plus, this isn't a permanent situation, we're talking something temporary for just a few months. We tell pregnant women all the time that being selfish is okay when giving birth. I made plans for my older kids so that I had a few hours every day to be "selfish" and bond with my new baby. My middle child isn't in school and is mostly home with me, but I still set up playdates for her to get her out of the house and out of my hair for a bit. I made that decision "selfishly" as well. I just don't understand why that's wrong just because the child is a stepchild and not her bio child.

We could probably play the " it's wrong to assume " game all day long with this post.

The tone of just her whole post is what is getting people pissed off. She basically doesn't feel like dealing with him. No one expects her to love the child the same way she would love her own, but he shouldn't be pushed to the way side. This child didn't ask for this either.

Clearly, she knows she's a terrible person if she's making the post title straight up saying, "I'm a terrible person."

I don't get how he's being pushed way to the side anymore than I did with my own kids. She just wants him to stay in daycare during the day, not ban him to stay chained in the basement for 3 months. I took her title to mean that she felt terrible for wanting this time to bond with her baby, not that she doesn't love him. I don't agree that she's terrible for wanting that relatively small amount of time.
  • I'm thinking maybe you weren't loved as a child. And that you now don't know how to love.
    The amount of sadness I have for the two kids that have you as a "mom" is overwhelming. 
    It's just horrible that he probably had a wonderful mother but got you instead.
    I'll always have that poor little boy in my thoughts. His mother is watching over him and protecting him always, that's the only thing I can think about to ease my mind.

Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker