June 2015 Moms

OB

Been in l and d since 4 pm..... These headaches I keep having will not go away. No drugs are working. Just now gave me one that is dulling it .... Ugh.

Re: OB

• :( hope they are getting you better over there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Feel better! Hope you can get some relief. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hope you feel better soon!! Keep us posted!!
  • Oh no. Headaches are so terrible. And not being able to take anything really worthwhile for them OTC... I hope they get you something good and you feel some relief soon
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd get terrible headaches too so I know the feeling. I hope you get through it soon!
  • Spent the night. They threw everything but the kitchen sink med wise at me.... And nothing but one drug dulled the headache. Dismissed home this am at 10. Gave me a fioricet with codeine to take the next 2 days and reevaluate on wed to see if headache is still there. Kind of annoyed that he isn't trying a long term solution or recommending anything else at this point ( finding the problem, hormones, deficiencies, musculoskeletal etc...) but I guess I'll see what he says wed.
  • I've looked up migraines in pregnancy articles and a lot say they can last up to 2 days but this particular headache has been happening for an entire week.
  • Thank you for all of your nice words :)
  • I hope it's better soon and never comes back!!! I can't imagine throwing a migraine in on top of pregnancy. Ouch!
  • Hope you're feeling better soon! Keep us updated!
  • Yuck! Migraines are the worst. I got a really bad 3 day one at the end of first trimester and wound up in the ER. I have had them for years but unfortunately none of my go to remedies are pregnancy safe. Wound up getting an IV of morphine, Phenergan, and fluids. I always call the day after a migraine the hangover day because I still feel like crap and can't function properly. Hope you feel better soon and don't have any more.
  • Fioricet. Ah, I remember those fondly (tho mine didn't have codeine).
    I hope it helps and that they'll be more open to pursuing the cause(s) and prevention methods after you are feeling better. You're a nurse, you know how to advocate for yourself, so go get 'em and make them help you find a cause (or at least rule out other potential causes) for a week long headache. But for now, get some rest and hopefully come back pain free
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are you stressed? I get migraines (haven't since I got pregnant thank the lord) but I also get tension headaches that will last days. Are you working days or nights? Nights triggered mine like no other. Narcotics can actually exacerbate migraines but I'm sure migraine meds are limited pregnant. I hope this passes soon. My PCP did warn me that my migraines could get worse pregnant. So perhaps it's hormonal. I feel for you though. No fun at all.
  • @jesshrou I work both days and nights and am switching back and forth. Been doing it for about a year now. Thank you for the info. This is interesting for sure.....
  • I'm so sorry! I hope they find something for you. This has got to be so frustrating. Thinking of you!!!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I'm sorry you are dealing with this. First and second trimester were awful for migraines. OB prescribed percocet, which worked minimally. I found taking Tylenol pm actually helped the best because it knocked me out. It didn't necessarily get rid of the pain, but sleeping through it helps.
  • That sounds miserable. I hope you find some relief soon. Keep us posted on your progess!
  • I'm so sorry you've been dealing with this! I've dealt with them with all of my pregnancies with my 2nd pregnancy being worse. I ended up with 2 overnight stays in the hospital and an MRI to rule out stroke. It was MISERBALE and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I hope you get some relief and answers soon! Good luck! Keep us posted!
  • @klkonwi how miserable, I'm sorry!! Hope they can help identify what's causing and and provide some better relief soon. Glad you're not suffering without (other) medical help. Hang in there!!
  • Well these headaches are never going away if I can never sleep. Despite the codeine I am still awake..... Are these 11 to 12 weeks going to all be like this..... I cannot function.
  • I'm trying heat packs. Spoonful of honey. Lavender oil..... Ugh
  • Another migraine remedy until you can get back in to see doc is to use some acupressure on your browbone.
    Press on the underside of your browbone but above your eyelid with enough pressure to get some minor relief. Also, I've found that pulling large chunks of hair slowly but firmly displaces blood in the scalp and can give minor relief.

There may be a food trigger or hormonal trigger that has caused you to have a multi-day migraine during pregnancy. I found that computer and tablet screens and eye strain exacerbated the pain as well.

I'm so sorry you're in pain. Fioricet can be great for migraine pain relief as it has multiple pain relieving functions but can also cause a rebound headache.

Before pregnancy, was getting 3-4 migraines with aura per week, and have had some during pregnancy as well. It's horrible to not have your standard pain meds or not have triptans because of pregnancy.

If you are concerned about a root cause of this migraine, and you think it may be more than a neurological disturbance, that the migraine is a symptom of something else, speak up about any other symptoms you have with your ER doctor/OB.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for migraine, as not much is known about the cause, other than it is a neurological disturbance in the brain, and the triggers vary from individual to individual. Common triggers are: lack of sleep, too much sleep, tyramines in food, aspartame, msg, "natural flavors" (aka msg), bright lights, intense smells, muscle strain in the neck and back, food triggers like chocolate, too much caffeine, too little caffeine, let down after a busy week, and hormonal spikes (for ex menstrual migraine).

MRI/MRA and stroke protocols (EKG, EEG) can rule out stroke but they would have been done hours ago if suspected if your doctor was suspicious of stroke.

Again, I'm so sorry, dear. Maybe they can dim the lights in your room and turn off the beeping machines to make you more comfortable during the pain and prodome phase of the migraine. Thinking of you and hoping that there's nothing to this other than just a random doozy of a migraine.
  • Migraine.com is a helpful resource for folks who are suffering with migraines. I really hope you start feeling better soon.

I try hot water (heat) on my hands and feet in the bathtub and an ice pack on the back of my neck to try and trick the blood vessels/relax them from pulsating. Sometimes that can give minor relief or take the edge off pain.
    Sometimes eating something fatty and carby like a double cheeseburger and drinking caffeinated beverage helps send endorphins to the brain to counteract the pain signals, then helps me fall asleep- to sleep off the rest of the pain until the prodome phase kicks in.
  • I am trying gluten free/dairy free and the chiropractor today. I'm willing to try anything. I only slept 3 hrs again from 5 am to 8 am..... I'm feeling this is the trigger. I am so desperate. Thank you for all of the advice. I am certainly in a living hell and I start 4 / 12 hr shifts in a row thurs. Praying for anything to help
  • I second the acupuncture idea. My BIL has his doctorate in PT and does something called dry needling which is very similar. It helps relax muscles if you get tension migraines. I don't know if it's safe during pregnancy but I would definitely check!
  • I don't know what sleep aids are safe during pregnancy and can be mixed with your pain regimen, but sleep is definitely your best ally when fighting a migraine episode. I remember that I've taken Flexiril which is a muscle relaxer which helped with the tension part of the migraine and acted a bit as a sedative.
    You poor thing. Thinking of you.
  • Nooooo please call out. Do not do 4 in a row. PLEASE!!! I don't want you to feel worse :(
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I hope going GF works! I had so many weird things going on with my body that the Dr didn't really understand, but after going GF they all disappeared.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"