June 2015 Moms

Breast Pump

Hi everyone,

There may be an overlap here with the "baby gear" feed.

Also, I do apologize in advance if this is kind of a stupid question. However, this is my first pregnancy and I get different responses from people when I've asked around!

I am wondering if a breast pump is an absolutely necessity? I plan on breastfeeding. I have looked online at the cost of these pumps and it's quite substantial. I am not sure if a pump will be absolutely necessary for me. One, I am Canadian and will be taking 10-12 months for maternity leave. So, I won't be working at a time when I'll still want to be giving the baby breast milk. Also, while I think some American insurance policies cover the cost of a pump, I will have to shell out the $ in full myself.

Any input you have here would be appreciated!

Re: Breast Pump

• You could always go with a manual one if you don't think you'll be pumping a lot. They are a lot less expensive.

I don't know what your home situation is but its nice to have extra breast milk so daddy can be included in feedings. Especially when mom needs some sleep!
  • I'm planning on being a SAHM for at least the first 6 months and hoping to breast feed. I'm not bothering to get a breast pump in advance. I just don't see the point of paying money for equipment that I might not use. If I do decide later on that a pump would be useful - for example if I go back to work or if DH wants to take over some of the feedings, then I figure I can buy one then.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would at least spend the minimum on a manual pump just in case the situation arises where you are engorged and baby is not cooperating.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • I would at least spend the minimum on a manual pump just in case the situation arises where you are engorged and baby is not cooperating.

FTM but I second this. My mom tried to breastfeed me but I basically refused to do anything but sleep for the first few weeks, so she became engorged. If she had been able to pump, that wouldn't have happened, and she would've been able to bottle-feed me with breast milk, as she wanted to, rather than formula (nothing wrong with formula, it just wasn't her first choice). She was a SAHM too, so she didn't think she'd need a pump... she now says that was a mistake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FTM but I also think this is a good idea. You could also probably rent a pump from your hospital, should you find you want / need one.
  • I would also look into renting a hospital grade one, if you do need one. I know a lot of women that don't have the use for one.
  • curcedcurced member
    edited March 2015
    I'm a first time mommy too. My insurance CDPHP in New York completely paid for my my medula pump in stlye advanced double electric breast pump. Call you insurance provider they should be able to direct you to a pharmacy/medical supply store that works with your insurance. It's was super easy all I needed was a script from my doc. I paid nothing out of pocket. I've heard from two of my good friends who just had their babies that the medula manual breast pump is great and actually it gets more milk out in less time. I plan on using both electric and manual. Good luck!!
  • You could always go with a manual one if you don't think you'll be pumping a lot. They are a lot less expensive.

I don't know what your home situation is but its nice to have extra breast milk so daddy can be included in feedings. Especially when mom needs some sleep!

I would suggest a manual pump at the very least to help with engorgement!  They are much less expensive and I don't know about in Canada but here in the US many hospitals will provide a manual pump for free if you ask for one! :)
  • My doula who is also a lactation consultant also recommended a manual pump if insurance wouldn't cover the electric one. Mine is covering it though. This was with her knowing I would not be returning to work and exclusively breastfeeding.
  • I'm getting the manual Medula pump - like $25 on Amazon - as backup to my electric one! Someone mentioned needing one in a pinch for like, long car rides.
  • hoodoll82 said:

I'm getting the manual Medula pump - like $25 on Amazon - as backup to my electric one! Someone mentioned needing one in a pinch for like, long car rides.

this is great advice, I am luck I have one already.. but you never know if daddy wants to be able to feed once in a while. My husband loves to fed, and be involved so this was a must, even if I am at home. 
    Pregnancy Ticker    

• Manual is definitely not ideal, in my opinion. I'd swing for at least the one-sided electric... they're very reasonable. I definitely don't think you have a need for a top of the line double electric, but even exclusively breastfeeding there will surely be times when you are away from your baby for the first year and you'll need/want to give them expressed milk. I have a "cheap" friend who refused to buy a pump of any kind because she was a SAHM and insisted she would never need it. Now she's bound to her baby and can't ever be away for more than a few perfectly timed hours. No thank you.

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • I'm a STM and my first would not latch. I pumped exclusively and luckily I rented a pump from the hospital. You never know how it's going to go, so better safe than sorry!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I used an Avent manual pump when I went back to work with my first daughter. While I don't recommend using it exclusively like I had to, it is a great little pump. I first tried an Evenflo manual and it was painful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"