October 2014 Moms

Stuck on Tummy at night

Anyone else have a LO that rolls over to tummy while sleeping and starts crying because they can't roll back yet? Then I rock her back to sleep and she does it all over again. I get maybe 20 minutes each hour to sleep. HELP!!!

Re: Stuck on Tummy at night

• RuenaRuena member
    Have you tried one of those padded things that stop them from moving?
  • We just did sleep training with our little guy, and I found that as soon as I left his room he immediately rolled on to his belly and cried. I went in there every 10 min (the first night) to reassure/comfort him without picking him up, and he eventually went to sleep. I was worried about belly sleeping too (especially bc he has a cold), so I initially kept putting him to his back again. After two nights of 45 min of on and off fussing, he sleeps through the night (in his belly!) like a champ!

I use to pick him up every time he overly fussed during tummy time, so I whole heartedly believe he was playing me and bedtime. Lol he would also take his little security blanket and immediately put it in his face and cry, until I went in there and then he would take it off his own face and smile at me. Booger.

Good luck! :)

• Loading the player...
  • BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
    edited March 2015

We just did sleep training with our little guy, and I found that as soon as I left his room he immediately rolled on to his belly and cried. I went in there every 10 min (the first night) to reassure/comfort him without picking him up, and he eventually went to sleep. I was worried about belly sleeping too (especially bc he has a cold), so I initially kept putting him to his back again. After two nights of 45 min of on and off fussing, he sleeps through the night (in his belly!) like a champ!

I use to pick him up every time he overly fussed during tummy time, so I whole heartedly believe he was playing me and bedtime. Lol he would also take his little security blanket and immediately put it in his face and cry, until I went in there and then he would take it off his own face and smile at me. Booger.

Good luck! :)

You let him sleep with a blanket? That's not safe.

And I hope you are being facetious because a 6 month old baby can't "play" you at this age. They don't know how to be vindictive or take advantage.

• OP, this is a phase, like all others and ALL babies go through this when they are in the process of learning something new. Crawling will mess up sleep, walking will mess up sleep. All of it will. You just have to power through until your LO gets over this and is comfortable sleeping on her stomach or can roll both ways.

I went through 2 nights of hell with DD until she stopped freaking out when she rolled on her tummy. I do NOT recommend leaving your LO to cry (sleep training) while she is transitioning through a new skill. That's just mean.

• This happens with my LO although I know she can roll back.  One night before I went to bed I checked on her she was on her tummy.  When I got up in the morning and checked on her she was on her back.  Neither  me or my husband got up in the middle of the night to roll her over so clearly she can roll over on her own.  There are times where she will wine and cry out while on her tummy at night but I don't instantly run to her cause most of the time she just falls right back asleep. 

Usually if she cries out for a little bit and I go in the room I will just flip her over and rub her belly and just shhhh then she falls right back asleep.  I would try avoiding picking her at all costs because you don't want them to have to depend on you to get back to sleep everytime they wake up. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • When sleep training our daughter she would roll over on her tummy and cry. She was and still prefers sleeping on her tummy. We would set a timer for 4 minutes go in and pat her bum or rub her back. Normally she would calm down and relax. At first we had to do this a couple times before she would fall asleep. Now we only have to go in once, maybe twice. And it could be that he wants to see you, my peditrican said at this stage they don't know that they are manipulating you, but they know when they cry you come. And he probably wants to see his mommy. Good luck!
  • My daughter has slept on her tummy since day one. And my daughter has always had a blanket in bed and now a small security blanket. There is no danger is the good old stuff!
  • @ShannonBananon1207 your post is really getting to me. YOU are the reason that TB sucks now. People that are far too sensitive and can't handle hearing a straight up answer. If you look around to other boards, I'm incredibly supportive so your post is just insulting.

I'm sorry if you are doubting your parenting and my confident answers rattle you but that doesn't make me unsupportive or a bitch. And my responses don't mean that I know everything, but I certainly have some experience under my belt.

Ugh. This is irritating.

• My daughter immediately rolls onto her tummy the moment I put her in the crib at night. It seems she sleeps better in that position so as long as I can see her chest move up and down, I leave her be. I, too, let my child sleep with a blanket. :D she has slept with this blanket since the day I brought her home from the hospital-and she's still alive and well! Every child is different and if you feel like your LO can manage on his/her tummy at night then I really don't see any harm in letting him/her sleep in other positions besides back.