Parenting after 35
Options

Who else baby wears?

I must say I am loving baby wearing. I found a snugli baby carrier at a 2nd hand store and it has been wonderful. I also bought a mei tai off ebay I am waiting for LO to get a bit bigger to use. And I have been eyeing the moby wraps.

I never did baby wearing with my other 3. Anyone else baby wearing? Maybe for the first time like me?
Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg

Re: Who else baby wears?

• Options
    I don't know if I would call it 'baby wearing' but yea I use the baby bjorn and Ergo baby carriers. Bjorn mainly around the house because she can look out of it better. Ergo for walks because she's so snuggly and hidden in it (she's borderline too small to really look out of it) that she always falls asleep.
    Never tried wraps. Just don't feel comfortable putting them on and stuffing baby in one. And an uncomfortable/awkward mom translates into an uncomfortable feeling baby.

With my 1st we only had the Bjorn and I always felt it was better suited for men. MH loved it, me - not so much. So I got a used Ergo off craigslist this time.
  • Options
    Me! It's been a life saver for me.  DS seems to be a high need baby who wants to be held all the time, so I feel pretty stranded without the Boba wrap around the house.  I use the Ergobaby carrier for walks.  Although, both can get quite warm and aren't the best for BF (any recommendations?).  We're hoping to do without a stroller for a while.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did on and off for first and plan to do it much more now that there's a 2nd. DH prefers Moby and I prefer Beco. But as mentioned earlier, comfy parent = comfy baby

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    I've had wraps and slings for all three and intend to wear this one too. I get so much more done with them attached to me. I can't wear a structured carrier because of a short torso and back problems from work and life.
  • Options
    Right now I use both the Moby (borrowed) & the Solly wrap. There are days LO loves it & says she doesn't. DH is scared of the wraps, so I want to get a Beco as well. Going in a plane next weeks so hoping she likes the wrap that day :)
  • Options
    Yep, did for my first two and plan to do it w this one. I love Beco as a carrier, and used a wrap and sling when they were small.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    Yes! I have a snuggli from a secondhand store too (8 bucks!) And love it! Dd likes it at least sometimes now too though the first couple-few months she mostly didnt - i think it frustrated her to be near the milk source but unable to access it. It did let us go on a few little hikes and was great for a plane trip at a month old - in those cases she slept in it. Now it is great for grocery store, etc. And sometimes at home or if I have her with me after school and need to make copies or stuff like that. I pretty much have to be moving around or doing something like washing dishes for her to be content in it.

I need to get a bigger and more ergonomic carrier at some point but keep not having time to go to the store where I could try at least one kind - I think its the boba. A coworker lent me an ergo but I don't like it that much- DD doesn't seem so comfy in it and even though its the "sport" one it seems like it will be too hot for summer. But DD is 11 months now and almost 20 lbs and the snuggli is only for up to 26 lbs and she is already seeming pretty big for it so need to find some other option.

When DD was much smaller i sometimes used a k'tan but now it just feels weird. I never was able to figure out how to nurse in it but I have heard of others being able to. There's one other kind I think I read about people nursing in - maybe a tula? And ring slings but I haven't figured those out either - didn't seem secure enough when DD was tiny (or rather the handmedown one I have seemed toobig and even now I'm not too confident carrying her in the ring sling.

Curious how you wil like the Mai Tai. Please share when you try it.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options
    Marchmellow2Marchmellow2 member
    edited April 2015
    Yes I love baby wearing!! The one I have is so cool! It's called the "Boba air". It's ergonomic design that's also extremely portable. It tucks into itself. It turns into a little pouch the size of my foot. You guys should go check it out if you're looking for an awesome inexpensive, portable, ergonomic, baby carrier.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Here's a pic. image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Marchmellow2 oooh neat looking. Gonna look into it.
    @springbeduk2 as soon as she can sit in it good I'll let you know how it turns out. I cannot wait. It is easier to put on without the assistance of my hubs or daughters.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I caved and bought a pricey linen ring sling a couple of weeks ago. I really like the Boba wrap but DS was overheating in it after a few hours, even with just a diaper on, and it left me sweaty. The learning curve is pretty steep on the ring sling (at least for me). I still haven't figured out how to confidently use it. When your baby is fussing, you can't exactly experiment. The linen itself is quite harsh but will soften in time. I like the versatility- DS is enjoying the forward facing kangaroo carry in small doses and I'm learning to BF in it, which is handy when DS wants a snack. It's also cooler. I think I'll be using both carriers.

As for the Ergobaby, we aren't using it as much - maybe when DS is older.
  • Options
    Hi moms, I'm lurking from Preg>35.  I've been researching carriers and for the life of me can't figure out what to get for the first 4-6 weeks and beyond.  The Boba 4G seems good but it's so pricey.  Any further recommendations would be much appreciated.  
  • Options
    I just got a snugli from a consignment store. She loves it. I have the mei tai. But still haven't used it yet. I wanted the moby but I was afraid she wouldn't like it and then I'd be out $40+ . Even thought about making my own moby wrap.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Hi @marijaa333 :) I agree that it's very confusing. There's so much variety and personal preferences vary a lot. So, I'm afraid you're going to get a zillion different recommendations!

Of the 3 that I own, I've been using the Boba wrap the most. None of mine are perfect. I started using the wrap within days after delivery. The fabric is stretchy, so it's very forgiving with a newborn. The others make me nervous that I might be hurting DS. The elasticity also makes bouncing DS easy. BF in it isn't ideal, but I've discovered it isn't in any of them. DH will use it, but I think he prefers the straps-and-buckles Ergobaby while out. The biggest downside to the wrap is that it gets hot. They make them in cooler fabrics, but I guess it won't be stretchy then.
  • Options
    Thanks @NeonNoon! That's really helpful. The wraps look really comfy for the infants, I'm just not confident I could figure them out. I might try the Infantino Sash Mei Tai first... It seems to have very high reviews and is only $26.
  • Options
    Are there any of these that may be better for plus size? I had the Ergobaby on my registry but didn't receive it as a gift, I saw in a review it only fits up to 43" waist... I've lost all of my baby weight, but my waist hasn't shrunk down at all yet (I have a puffy belly!)!
    ----
    ME: 40, DH: 44, stopped BCPS 1/2013, TTC #1 2/2013, AMH 0.4, started acupuncture: 7/2013,
    BFP: 10/07/2013; MC 10/15/2013 @ 7 wks (natural), focused on health issues for 7 months.
    TTC again: 6/2014, 2nd round Letrozole, BFP 7/7/2014!!! --- EDD 3/18/2015!!! DS born 3/13/2015
  • Options
    @mdogan29 they make belt extensions, not sure if it's an after market product or not.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    @mdogan29 the mei tai one is good for plus size and so is the moby from what I have seen. The snugli I use looks just like the chico from what I seen on another mom this past weekend. I am assuming it extends like the snugli.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Thanks! I bought a Moby this weekend at Target, going to check it out.  We did get a carrier at our baby shower (chicco brand), but it looks to be on the smaller side and DH started using it this weekend. Since it fits him perfectly and he seems to like it, I don't want to have to keep re-adjusting it to fit him and then me and then back to his size, etc., so I'll try out this Moby thing first. I have a lot of back problems anyway, so baby wearing might not be for me -- we'll see! :)
    ----
    ME: 40, DH: 44, stopped BCPS 1/2013, TTC #1 2/2013, AMH 0.4, started acupuncture: 7/2013,
    BFP: 10/07/2013; MC 10/15/2013 @ 7 wks (natural), focused on health issues for 7 months.
    TTC again: 6/2014, 2nd round Letrozole, BFP 7/7/2014!!! --- EDD 3/18/2015!!! DS born 3/13/2015