2nd Trimester
Options

Anyone have a cervical polyp removed during pregnancy?

JulanneNJJulanneNJ member
edited March 2015 in 2nd Trimester
Hi ladies!!  I'm almost 23 weeks pregnant.  Ever since I got pregnant I've been dealing with spotting off and on, and they could never really find a cause.  I started spotting again this week, so I called the doctor and they wanted me to come in for an exam.  Turns out I had a cervical polyp which is why I've been spotting!!!  I was so happy to finally have a reason as to why I kept bleeding, it was a relief!!  She removed it right then and there...I didn't have any pain and didn't even bleed after she removed it. It was a small polyp.

I came home and I started googling cervical polyp removal during pregnancy, and apparently it's advised NOT to do this from what I've been reading and it's best to leave them alone until after pregnancy as it can cause miscarriage???!!!  I do trust my doctor, but reading this has made me very worried now!!!  I can only assume the polyp was in a location that was not going to cause an issue and that's why she removed it.  I read though it can weaken the cervix.  I've been reading some woman did have them removed and others did not as their doctor said it's best not to mess with the cervix during pregnancy.  Maybe being in the 2nd trimester now, she thought it would be ok now?  I'm so confused.

I had the polyp removed yesterday and the good news is I have had NO bleeding at all. I'm just worried now though my cervix has been compromised.  Has anyone had a polyp removed DURING pregnancy???  Really hoping to put my mind at ease.  

Re: Anyone have a cervical polyp removed during pregnancy?

• Options
    My doctor removed one at 6 weeks that was causing bleeding. I've had no further issues and am 21 weeks now. I think a lot of it depends on how large it is, where it is, and how it is removed. Trust your doctor. I'm sure they know about cervix issues it can cause and aren't going to removed something that could compromise your pregnancy! Its not like there is anything you can do about it at this point anyway, and like I said, I had one removed 15 weeks ago now with no issues. I figure if there was going to be one from that it would have happened long before now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"