Multiples

Did you need Help when twins came home?

apbauer0615apbauer0615 member
edited March 2015 in Multiples
hello all,
First time mom here. My twins should be coming home from the NICU this week after 3 months! Woohoo. All the nurses keep asking if I'm going to have help when they come home and I don't plan on it. My husband is taking the first week off, and then using 5 vacation days broken up the following 2 weeks. But aftet that it's just me. My mother passed away & there really isn't anyone else besides hired help that I'd feel comfortable with. Am I crazy?? Will I need extra help? I feel like I can handle it, they are on a great eating/sleeping schedule from being in the hospital for so long.

Re: Did you need Help when twins came home?

• You'll make it.  It will be crazy hard.  Honestly, if they have been in the NICU that long, you'll probably have a ton of check up appointments to go to so it would be hard to find help that is that flexible.  I survived.. you can too.  Plan ahead with made up bottles if you are pumping or using formula (ready to be heated) when your hubby leaves in the morning and don't expect to get anything else done most days.. then when you DO get things done, it is really exciting!  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

CafeMom Tickers
  • I didn't help either except for some friends/family bringing over food! Honestly the first month was really rough because I was still recovering from the delivery ( extreme hemorrhage) and swelling , but if you are feeling well it will make things easier. As poster above mentioned you won't have time to do any chores and don't stress about that! Just take care of the babies needs and everything else can wait. If you can have freezer meals ready or have your hubby pick up food it will really help. And maybe try to declutter/put thjngs away now becuase when babies are home things just pile up quickly and I found that stressed me out seeing things all over the house.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had no help- my boys spent 17 days in the NICU.  Came home on a Monday night and my husband went to work the next morning.  So I was on my own from the beginning.  My family lives 2 hrs away and were not a help, oh and we got one meal from a friend.... so yeah it is totally doable.  My boys came home on a eating schedule of every 4 hours (I pumped).  I was able to keep up with a basic house functions, take care of my dogs, and cook for my husband and myself.  
  • amh0411712amh0411712 member
    edited March 2015
    You'll be great. It was just my husband and I, all of our family is hours away. And we survived. My boys did 35/40 days in the nicu and we had a smooth transition. The big advice I have is sticking with their feeding schedule and the one up both up rule. Keeping to a schedule saved my sanity.
  • The NICU probably has them on a good schedule already, so that will help. My 36 weekers came home when they were 3 days old, not latching, so I was pumping all the time and trying to get them to latch. It was so hard. My mom spent 6 nights with us over the first 8 weeks. That helped a lot. DH could get a full night of sleep which then let me get a day nap b/c he was rested. If I could go back, I would have interviewed people while pregnant and would have had more helpers!!

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• My husband and I live in another country, away from family and friends. We made it work. Not without a lot of frustration and tears, but we managed!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• You can do it! Stick to the schedule the NICU nurses have them on. My 35 weekers spent a week in the NICU and came home on a three hour schedule. We stuck to it and it worked perfectly! 
    ***************SIGGY WARNING***************
    DX: PCOS and Endometriosis 
    TTC since May 2011
    HSG normal
    Hubs SA- Normal June 2012
    Aug. 2012: 50mg Clomid: No Response
    March 2013: 100mg Clomid: No Response
    July 2013: 5mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    August 2013: 10mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    Natural cycles Sept & Oct.--BFN
    Nov/Dec: 10mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    Jan 2014: 10mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    Feb: Benched due to cysts.
    March: Benched w/cysts.
    April: Femara+Follistim+Ovidrel+Prometrium
    BFP on Mother's Day 2014!! 
    EDD: January 20, 2015
    6week scan: TWINS!!!!!
    16w: Baby A is Stubborn, Baby B is a GIRL!
    20 week scan: TEAM PURPLE!
    The babies were born on December 16, 2014 at 35 weeks! They are home and doing well!

• Same concerns here!  Moved here not too long ago and don't have any family within driving distance.  I have a few friends, but we're not so close that I'd be comfortable asking them for help on the regular.  My biggest concern is that this is my second pregnancy my first is only going to be 15 months old when the twins arrive.  Anyone else gone through this?  I have no idea how I'll juggle all three of them when my husband goes back to work after two weeks.
  • I had help. It can be done, but I am so glad that I didn't have to. My mom came and stayed with me Tuesday through Friday. It was a blessing b/c I could take a nap and there was someone to help with middle of the night feeds (which at times were emotionally a struggle) while my wife was able to sleep b/c she was working full-time and helping with the home.  It was a life and sanity saver to have family there to help (and by help I don't mean come over and hold the baby )

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• We are doing just fine SO FAR. Twins are 1 month & we have no help other than friends dropping off food. Of course all babies are different, but we have not had any issues except for minimal sleep deprivation.