Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D&C tomorrow for Missed MC

This past weekend I had my first 12 week ultrasound and there was no heartbeat. The baby was measuring 8 w4d. I had no spotting or cramping, my body just kept thinking it was pregnant. The only thing I can think of is around 9 weeks my nausea went away but I was still having other pregnancy symptoms like fatigue, tender breasts, etc. My DH and I are devastated. It was like a nightmare that I never would wish on anyone.

I decided to go with a D&C. Has anyone gone through this before? What was the recovery like? How long did your bleeding last? Tomorrow is the big day. DH is taking the day off work to go with me and I took this week off work to recover emotionally and physically.

The doctor said to wait two cycles before we start trying again. I'm scared though, I don't know if I'm strong enough to go through this again so soon.

Re: D&C tomorrow for Missed MC

• I'm so sorry for your loss. It's such a devestating time. My mc was natural so I don't have experience or advice to give you on that. Just grieve and know you are not alone.
  • MsVoxMsVox member
    edited March 2015
    So sorry for your loss Babylovecali :( I know it won't help much right now but do know that over time it will get easier, I promise!! *hugs*

My mc was medically induced by way of cytotec but unfortunately I ended up with an incomplete miscarriage so in the end needed a d/c after all. I had to be at the hospital at 10am, went in around 11:30 and was back on the ward a couple of hours later, then was released to go home around 4pm after having eaten&drank something and been seen and cleared by the dr. I felt quite nauseated after the procedure and was given an extra dose of something to help me with that. If you are in pain or feel nauseated or dizzy, please let your nurse know so they can help you with that.

One thing that surprised me was how the pain and cramping that I was
    experiencing pre-d/c had gone away completely after. I felt sore and
    rough in my lower tummy for about a day afterwards, but managable with
    just some tylenol. Though 'down there' I felt a little raw for some days
    longer, to be expected I suppose heh. The days after I took it real easy, as I felt quite run down emotionally and really tired physically. The anestetics also did a trick with my short-term memory and ability to think properly, but I know I'm extra sensitive to anestetics so that may not at all be your case I hope - just don't be alarmed if you do:) I bled for about a week after then had some heavy spotting for another week. Don't use tampons if you normally use those but stick to pads (tampons give a higher risk of infection and you definitely don't want that). The dr told me to take tylenol at regular intervals those first days after but I only needed some during the first day myself.

I'm glad to read your husband is going with you, mine has been my rock throughout this all! Take it easy the days after, nap when you feel like it, cry when you have to, laugh when you can. For me it felt that once the d/c was behind me, I entered a new phase in the whole ordeal which for me was the start of healing emotionally. I'm far from 'done' (it's been 6 weeks since we found out and miscarried, 3 weeks since the d/c) and it's still rough but I'm feeling more balanced and stronger now then I did before, one step at a time.

Good luck tomorrow <3
  • Loading the player...
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Good luck tomorrow <3
  • I found out today too that I had mc. So today instead of hearing a heart beat we had to consider our options and I chose to have a d&c as well. This is my second mc but I mc'd naturally the first time and it was very painful. Everything I've read said the procedure is the lesser painful of the options. Know you are not alone in your pain and in your wondering of what to expect.
  • @MsVox @kvanderloop I had the D&C this morning and it went pretty smoothly. The anesthesiologist made me feel better when she said she had 3 D&C 's herself and although it was emotionally hard, it is a pretty quick, little to no pain procedure and now she has 2 healthy kids. I was in and out of the hospital in about 4.5 hours. The procedure itself only took about 30 minutes. I felt a little groggy for about 3 hours after, but I just went home and layed on the couch and watched movies on Netflix. Bleeding has been like a period today so far and some mild cramping that goes away with ibuprofen. I'm glad I went with this option because now I feel like I can move on physically and start to heal emotionally.

Through this process, so many friends, family, and coworkers have told me they too had miscarriages and then went on to have healthy babies. We definitely are not alone and miscarriages are just something people don't talk about often I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"