Phoenix Babies
Options

Moving, neighborhood help

Hi! DH and I currently live in Washington DC but will be relocating to Phoenix in approximately two months with our two kids, ages 5 and 1. His job is in the Scottsdale area. Are there any neighborhoods in Scottsdale you would recommend or avoid?

Also, could someone share with me how school assignment works in Scottsdale. Is it based on your address or do you have a choice? Any recommendations for public elementary schools? Or public schools to avoid?

Thanks for your help!
happily married since 2009, SAHM
diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016

Re: Moving, neighborhood help

• Options
    Scottsdale is very expensive as in most homes are 500k or over. If that is out of your price range try looking in Phoenix zip codes that boarder Scottsdale such as 85254. They call that the magic zip code (there are some others) because you technically you live in Phoenix but you have a Scottsdale address. This paying lower home prices and taxes. Just an fyi- all the Phx are cities are close to one another. So Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix boarder one another and you will cross from one to another without noticing.

Schools in Scottsdale and the surrounding are are good. Phoenix area also have many charter school options. Most public schools have open enrollment as well. There is a website/app called great schools that will give you school ratings! Check it out!

Good luck in your search!
  • Options
    I live in South Scottsdale, which is much more affordable than North Scottsdale.  There's lots of parks and activities in the area, which we really enjoy.  We are actively looking for a home in South Scottsdale (85257, 85251) and have seen some houses for about $275K.  Some of them are small (1400 square feet) and need some updating.  

I believe school placement is based on address, but you may be able to apply for a boundary exception.  You might want to look into that.

Good luck!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi,

If your husband doesn't mind the commute, Surprise is very nice. I live here and its a lot more affordable than Scottsdale/ phoenix and newer. The houses are new and there are stores galore. I live right by Surprise stadium where they have spring training and they always have family events, there's even a pool with a slide. Most people say its a retirement neighborhood because its next to Sun city, but there are lots of young couples with babies. Its really nice. I'm 15 min from the mall and major freeway. Check it out.