2nd Trimester

coed Baby Shower or not? Help

MKEMOM83MKEMOM83 member
edited March 2015 in 2nd Trimester
My sister and I are beginning to plan my shower. I've heard of couples doing coed showers but still having difficulty deciding.

coed Baby Shower or not? Help 91 votes

Traditional
29% 27 votes
Coed
70% 64 votes

Re: coed Baby Shower or not? Help

• Do what you want to do but it's really up to your host.

I had a coed shower but that's normal for my circle. It's simple, do you want guys there or not?
  • Personally I am doing a cooed shower but our 'shower' is more or less just a BBQ and housewarming that my best friend is hosting on our behalf. Being that it is still a 'baby shower' I suspect the male turn out might be on the lower end.
  • Loading the player...
  • My mom and sister are throwing me a shower and DH is going to come for opening presents. Not quite coed but close. And my MIL is throwing us a coed shower because they all have a lot of children so we figure it might be easier than having everyone try to find a babysitter.
  • I'm sure there is a regional aspect to this, but from my perspective, traditional showers are going out of style. It's been several years since I have been invited to a shower that was not co-ed. Same with things like shower games, I have not seen any of those in a quite a while.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • I would choose Co ed if it was up to me easier and cheaper. But mine will be traditional and my husband is having a pamper party. But there are benefits to traditional because girls and be girls and gossip more. And of course same for guys.
  • Co-ed all the way. My husband has been to several baby showers, the last co-ed one he even attended with out me. He may be weird but he always has a good time and enjoys being able to support the soon to be parents. While I am not planning my own shower, those planning it know that this is one of the only important details for me and my husband.
  • My mom and friend are throwing ours and I made two requests: 1) Please let it be coed. We have friends who are coming from far away and it will be nice if their husbands can just join in and hang out instead of them chilling in the parking lot or something. They said it will be coed. 2) Don't feel like you have to go all out. I don't want to financially burden them but I think they'll end up doing whatever they want anyway, which is fine. I'm not planning it, so they can do whatever they want :-)
  • smeame14 said:

I know my husband would give me the WTF look if I told him he was invited to any type of shower (shower, disguised as a cookout, etc.) and tell me yeah right.  

He (and many of his friends) do not/will not sit around and watch presents being opened and all the ladies gooing and gaaing over baby items.  
    All the co-ed showers I have been to are more laid back than your typical baby shower. Most have had alcohol, and for games some had corn hole or other outdoor games as opposed to silly baby games.
  • First, you need to back out of the planning.  It's rude for the MTB to play a part in hosting her own gift giving event.

Second, the host has the final say as to whether it's women-only or co-ed, as adding extra people to the guest list will increase costs for the hosts.  If asked, you can certainly voice your opinion/desires but I wouldn't demand/expect anything, either.
  • MKEMOM83 said:

My sister and I are beginning to plan my shower. I've heard of couples doing coed showers but still having difficulty deciding.

Option C : you should not have a hand in the planning of your own shower. Provide the guest list & let your sister handle the rest.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I for one LOVE the silly baby games, my bridal shower was not coed and neither will my baby shower be coed. That was my only request. I'm not a fan of coed showers. My husband would agree he wouldn't want to go to a baby shower. Guess that's just us. Definitely more traditional.
  • kjs08kjs08 member
    I had to go outside the norms for ours: I requested coed for ours (my husband was a bit surprised, but I wanted him there too as it's our baby) to my mom and more or less a backyard BBQ for friends and family. I had to push her on it as my parents will be travelling all summer so we decided on May 24th (Memorial Day weekend, and the weekend before they leave) and it's early as I'll be just over 25 weeks. My mom is doing all the planning, but asked me to make and send out the invites as she has a million other things on her plate, which I'm fine doing. Before anyone goes all "you should have no say" on me, I had 3 options for this: have it early so my parents would be there, have it in June/July and my parents not there, or don't have one at all as I didn't want it when I was 37+ weeks when my parents came home. 

My husband's family won't be able to make it as they already had plans for Memorial Day weekend, but offered to host one in late June since they couldn't be there, and I won't have any hand in that one. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kjs08 said:

I had to go outside the norms for ours: I requested coed for ours (my husband was a bit surprised, but I wanted him there too as it's our baby) to my mom and more or less a backyard BBQ for friends and family. I had to push her on it as my parents will be travelling all summer so we decided on May 24th (Memorial Day weekend, and the weekend before they leave) and it's early as I'll be just over 25 weeks. My mom is doing all the planning, but asked me to make and send out the invites as she has a million other things on her plate, which I'm fine doing. Before anyone goes all "you should have no say" on me, I had 3 options for this: have it early so my parents would be there, have it in June/July and my parents not there, or don't have one at all as I didn't want it when I was 37+ weeks when my parents came home. 

My husband's family won't be able to make it as they already had plans for Memorial Day weekend, but offered to host one in late June since they couldn't be there, and I won't have any hand in that one. 
    Pushing someone into how they gift you a shower is so cringeworthy...
  • I'm doing a co-ed shower! We are celebrating the BOTH me and my husband becoming parents and I think it's great to have his friends there with us. It's going to be very chill and relaxing. Can't wait ! Go for the co-ed !
  • I just recently went to a co-ed shower and the guys there actually seemed to enjoy themselves. Was a great turn out and was a great day.

My host is doing two showers, one just for friends which will have a few of my husband's friends and then my friends. The family shower though is girls only (but it's mostly because of a big family)

• I grew up with 3 brothers and always was surrounded by boys more so than girls (girls kind of terrify me half the time) so to me co-ed just makes sense. Just do what makes sense to you and and if someone has someone to say, well, it's not their baby, is it?