February 2015 Moms
Options

Formula

Hi Ladies...right now we are using Similac Advanced. She was getting my BM but had to stop & then the similac for breastfeeding bc we had a sample. I noticed she seems to be in pain and has only been going #2 once a day after a crying fit/me rubbing her belly. Anyone experience this? And what formula are you using? Is it ok for me to change again? thanks!

Re: Formula

• Options
    My son was on similac in the hospital. Then Gerber good start gentle at home. He was always grunting and crying like in pain and those symptoms gradually got worse. After testing with the pediatrician, LO is allergic to cows milk. He's now on a hypoallergenic formula called nutramigen which is super expensive. LO did way better instantly with the formula change.

LO also at the same time was suffering from reflux. Which added to his grunting and crying. It's possible yours may have reflux.

Try not to feed a formula just because you have the sample. Their digestive systems are so sensitive that switching all around could cause slight problems like tummy aches, etc. due to different proteins etc in the different formulas.

Don't hesitate to talk to your pediatrician also! Hope your LO feels better soon!!
  • Options
    Also the dirty diaper- once a day is fine. My pedi says if LO goes 3 full days without a bowel movement to call. Crying during bowel movement is normal because they are getting used to using those muscles to have a BM, it's still all new to them. My LO is almost 7 weeks old and cries/whines during BM and it comes out just fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I use enfamil gentle ease. It is supposed to help with gas and discomfort. It is the only formula she has been on since switching from bm and she seems content
  • Options
    Yes...we had the same exact problem with Phoebe. She was on Similac Advance in the hospital, then I switched her to Similac Sensitive a week later and she still seemed to be in pain. I finally made the switch to Gerber Good Start Soothe. My first DD was on this and we never had a problem. It has been great for Phoebe since she was about 2-2 1/2 weeks old...she's 9 weeks now.

Hope this helps!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mommaa1615mommaa1615 member
    edited March 2015
    Thanks @usmcwife89 its so sad to see her in pain trying to go..shes instantly happy again once she goes. I guess its pretty normal. My Dr said the same 3 day rule.
  • Options
    I use a combination of similar sensitive and up & up sensitive. I noticed when I just used Up & Up noticed his bm were really hard so we either alternate between formulas or do a scoop of each (Dr. Gave us the idea). We usually have 1-3 bm within 24 hours
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! We switched to Enfamil Reguline..it helped the next morning. Shes not in pain & her poop is normal..yay!
  • Options
    I was using the Gerber good start gentle. But read that Gerber has something called GMO ( I think that's what's it's called) they use this to test rats. I freaked out when I read that and immediately looked up other stuff. We went for an organic one called Earths best I have my LO on the sensitive one just cause he had major gas at times. He seems to be doing great and gaining the appropriate amount of weight with it. I bought it at babies r us but they also sell it at Target.

Also for the constipation my doctor has me adding an ounce of pear juice to his formula in the morning and at night. Seems to help with his BM and he loves it !
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"