2nd Trimester
Options

Riding with Baby + Dog in car

I am trying to figure out how to travel safely with my 70 lb. lab mix
and my baby boy (in his infant car seat).  We recently got a crossover
SUV that's not too huge, but it has more room than a sedan. 

Right
now, we usually ride with our dog in the backseat unrestrained with a
seat cover which covers the whole backseat.  The cover keeps our dog
from getting the car too messy.

Options I can think of of putting dog + baby in car:
1)
One option would be to buy a very safe harness for our dog and allow
him to still ride in the backseat with the infant car seat on one side
and him on the other. In the case of a car crash, he at least wouldn't
be a projectile that could hurt the baby. Then again, is it safe to put a
car seat on top of a seat cover?  I've seen some available online like (https://www.kurgo.com/car-seat-covers/kurgo-bench-seat-cover/). We really like having a seat cover so that our car seats don't get destroyed, super wet, muddy, etc.
2)
Another suggestion is to always put the dog in the trunk, but I think
with all of the strollers and other baby gear, that we would greatly
need that space.  I also wouldn't be able to put the dog in a harness.
3)
Put 70 lb dog in front seat with harness. It's not ideal for our dog
because he would get uncomfortable (he is too big to lay down) after a
little bit.
4) Am I missing another option?? Besides not traveling together.
That's not an option for our lifestyle as we often go to my parents'
house for an extended stay and need a way to make an hour-long trip
safely with the four of us (me, husband, dog, baby).

My specific questions:
1) Is it safe to put an infant car seat on top of a car seat cover?
2) What is the best way to ride with my dog and baby that's both safe and semi-convenient?

Thanks
so much!! I have been googling this all day and I really can't get a
good, clear answer. I'd love to hear what you all do and plan to do.
EDD: 07/09/2015
1st pregnancy - total surprise
DH & I married almost 2 years

Re: Riding with Baby + Dog in car

• Options
    This is a great question, and something I hadn't even thought about yet! I am also a FTM and we travel with our dog alot as well (granted he is a 20 lb terrier, not a 70 lb lab ;)). I also have an SUV and travel with our dog in the backseat (with our beloved car seat cover!)

To answer the questions in your post:

1) I would assume as long as you can still access all the buckles, and the car seat is secure and doesn't slide on top of the cover, etc. that it would be perfectly fine. That being said, when it comes to a child's life I would never go on an "assumption". If you already have your car seat picked out, I would call the manufacturer and ask to be sure.
    2) Based on the options you gave above, I would say option 1 would be my recommendation (back seat harness). But again, it's hard to assume...and I'm not sure what "professional" you could ask this question to?? Lol.

Good luck and congrats on baby boy!!!
  • Options
    Btw I have no idea how that stupid emoji got there, please disregard.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would go with either your first suggestion OR- look into a way to harness him down in the trunk. For example, my husband's SUV has Rings in the back to allow for a cargo net to be attached to. We simply attach a D-Ring to our dogs leash and then to the ring in the car. It allows her enough wiggle room to sit up and lay down but that's about it- and honestly you don't want much more then that.

Some car manufacturers will even sell a collapsible crate specifically for the car which is best option for dog. If you went either of those routes, you could always knock down part of the seat the baby is in for extra space for strollers, bags, etc.

• Options
    Have you ever heard of car seats for Littleton Facebook? It's run by car seat techs that have tons of information. I would say no to the seat cover because anything that is not marketed by the car seat company voids the warranty. You can't even put a seat protector under a britax car seat not made by britax or they won't guarantee the safety of the seat. I would check out the Facebook group they may have better suggestions and more than internet strangers wanting to make it work
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

The safest option for your dog is a harness and in the back seat. air bags (if inflated) can cause serious injury to your dog if in the front seat and at his/her weight - they will activate the air bag sensors.

Although the cargo dividers do help prevent the pet from jumping over the seats and whatnot - in a rear ended accident- your dog is provided no protection against injury (minor or major).

I have seen my fair share of emergencies involving animals in accidents over the years in private and emergency animal practice. I try to promote car seat harnesses whenever possible. Top Pet through PetSmart has a very good one available for not a lot. My personal preference is the E-Z Rider as it has padded comfort as well. Avoid any that are H style harnesses for the car as they do tend to break down faster. 

• Options
    Agree with the previous poster about the seat cover and warranty issue.  Don't have any recommendations for the poocher.  Good luck!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our Dog trainer told us off for having our dog loose in the car. She said no matter how well behaved she is, if there's an accident she would be much safer in a crate. Not only would it reduce her chances of getting hurts, it would also stop her running away from the car if she was freaked out. The idea of her flying through the windscreen was something I had never considered and it obviously scared me a lot, so now we have a crate in the boot and she's just as happy.
  • Options
    MelissaL121MelissaL121 member
    edited March 2015
    Depending on what type of SUV you have, I would recommend a crate for your dog. We have a Toyota Highlander and can fit two of the side by side Midwest SUV crates. They're a little more narrow than standard crates so they can fit securely between wheel wells of SUV's.
    https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Side-Double-Plastic-Inches/dp/B000ZLY0KU

You may be able to get a crate that has a door that opens from the longer side and fit baby gear in front of the crate and along each side. An unrestrained dog can become a 70 lb projectile in a matter of seconds. I would be fearful of the dog landing on baby.
  • Options
    Thank you for y'all's suggestions!
    EDD: 07/09/2015
    1st pregnancy - total surprise
    DH & I married almost 2 years

• Options
    kjs08kjs08 member
    We recently found out that it's apparently illegal to have your dog in the front seat and that they have to be in the back with a harness on and strapped in for New Jersey. We have a 50lb Aussie mix, but we're FTP and I was wondering about the seat cover and car seat as well so I'm glad I came across this post!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have a 75 lb lab/pit mix who prefers riding in the front, so I think we're going to get a mesh separator for between the front and back seats and let him ride shot gun :-)
  • Options
    rue:Drue:D member
    I'm concerned about this as well...DH and I both have sedans and our two 25-pound schnauzers lay down in the back seat. But we're having twins and I don't know that there will be room for everyone! We just bought our cars a year ago, so getting a bigger one probably isn't an option.
  • Options
    Another option is an in car harness that has a clip attachment that buckles in. I had this for my pug when he was younger because, well let's face it, he was like a 20lb bowling ball where ever he went. It had a tether that just clicked into the cars set belt. It restricted him from leaving his seat & you could adjust the length of the tether.

I never had this issue with my 90lb dog, she never once touched the car seat especially when the baby was in it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers