July 2015 Moms
Options

Scheduled c section at 37 weeks??

My ob today said she may need to deliver her at 37 weeks due to placement of my past c section scar.. I have never heard of this. I'm high risk, i have had pre eclampsia with both pregnancies. They tell me I have a very slim chance of not getting it again. So I'm already prepared to have her early. Thank god I don't get it untill the end of pregnancy anyways (around 35 weeks) so I'm praying I don't get it early with this LO. But then she tells me today she may need to be scheduled at 37 weeks anyways depending on my OP report? Has anyone heard of this?

Re: Scheduled c section at 37 weeks??

• Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    I was talking to someone today whose daughter in law is delivering via c/s early because of something similar. She never said what week though. 37 is full term though and I'm sure baby would be fine.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    Thank you. Im sure she will be, it's considered full term.. But it still worries me. My oldest was almost 42 weeks. They took my youngest "early" at 40 weeks. Lol.. So Part of me is like just let them grow! But if my kids had it there way they would never come out!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    And I make big babies! So if she did take her at 37 weeks, then maybe she will be a normal size baby.
  • Options
    It could be because your uterus is thin. Did you have c sections previously? If so this could be why. Going into labor could cause issues. Ultimately though ask why! It's your baby and body, don't be afraid to ask questions!
  • Options
    Okay.. That makes a little sense. She explained it to me. She said it was depending on where they cut and how they cut me. She said because of placement of the placenta? I mean she explained it the best she could.. But I just never heard of it.
  • Options
    zmombie said:

Thank you. Im sure she will be, it's considered full term.. But it still worries me. My oldest was almost 42 weeks. They took my youngest "early" at 40 weeks. Lol.. So Part of me is like just let them grow! But if my kids had it there way they would never come out!

I don't want to sound like a tool, but 37 weeks is not "Full-Term."   Per current standards-
    • Early term: Your baby is born between 37 weeks, 0 days and 38 weeks, 6 days.
    • Full term: Your baby is born between 39 weeks, 0 days and 40 weeks, 6 days.
    • Late term: Your baby is born between 41 weeks, 0 days and 41 weeks, 6 days.
    • Postterm: Your baby is born after 42 weeks, 0 days.

I'm not saying your doctor is making a bad call.  You find a doctor you trust, and then you go with their professional decisions.   37 week babies can have issues, too, but it's definitely better to have a safely delivered baby than a poor outcome.   It sounds like your history requires an earlier delivery, and it's good your doctor can make that call.   I'd definitely ask more questions, too, just to fully understand what's going on with your placenta and uterus.  Also, pre-eclampsia can affect the baby's growth, so better to get the baby out early than suffer a poorly perfusing placenta.

• Options
    @MrsTiger123 I agree with you. 37 weeks is not full term. Actually unless there is medically necessary 39 weeks iS the earliest they can induce a mother in my state legally. @OP if your dr. Says you have to I guess listen to her, but I would question it. 37 weeks is just too early to me because of a scar if everything else is normal.
  • Options
    I have a scheduled c section at 37 weeks due to a past uterine surgery. I don't think it is completely unheard of.
  • Options
    I have never heard that almost 39 weeks is full term? With my other two they always told me I would have to deliver early. And hopefully not before 37 weeks because that was full term. As they said. Is this a new thing they found out?
    As I said it seems to early. (Unless you had a uterine rupture or pre eclampsia or whatever. As you said it's better to be delivered a little early then to have problems) she's a high risk doctor so I.. We'll have no choice but to trust her.. Only one within 4 hours of me anyways.. But it is what it is us know?
  • Options
    I am so tired I'm not sure any of that made sense...
  • Options
    I don't think your doctor is being irresponsible due to your special needs, it's just important to note that 37 weeks is still early.   Babies at that age often have difficulty latching and sometimes have some transient respiratory issues.  Obviously, a 37 week baby is better off than a 35 weeker, but it's still earlier than what the March of Dimes would recommend for an elective delivery- but in your case, it's not elective but medically neccesary. 

• Options
    Brummy14Brummy14 member
    edited March 2015
    Not unheard of, at all. I had a classical c-section with the twins because they had to be delivered at 29w. Because of the vertical incision, if I go into labor on my own, the risk of uterine rupture is significantly higher than the standard c-section. Net, the MFM will not let me go beyond 37w under any circumstances (this is standard procedure for prior classical sections), and under no conditions would I be allowed to try for a VBAC.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My c section will be scheduled for 37 weeks. My first son came on his own (and ended up being an emergency C) at 36w2d and was 8lb9oz. I deliver at 37 because it's best for both of us. My friend is scheduled for a c section next month at 37 weeks. It's really not that rare.
  • Options
    If your inner scar is vertical they will not allow a VBAC. I'm not sure if that's what they mean by placement. I suppose they could always wait to see if you get pre e and maybe push off the section. 37 weeks is 100% not too early to have a c section and a common time for a lot of scheduled deliveries due to several complications. They may be afraid your scar will rupture due to the placement, which can happen and be fatal to you and the baby. If you're not sure of the exact reasoning I would ask the OB to be more clear in explaining it. And find out if this is the definite plan or just a potential plan. It sounds like there are several reasons it could be completely legit. Good luck and keep us posted
  • Options

zmombie said:

I don't want to sound like a tool, but 37 weeks is not "Full-Term."   Per current standards-
    • Early term: Your baby is born between 37 weeks, 0 days and 38 weeks, 6 days.
    • Full term: Your baby is born between 39 weeks, 0 days and 40 weeks, 6 days.
    • Late term: Your baby is born between 41 weeks, 0 days and 41 weeks, 6 days.
    • Postterm: Your baby is born after 42 weeks, 0 days.

I'm not saying your doctor is making a bad call.  You find a doctor you trust, and then you go with their professional decisions.   37 week babies can have issues, too, but it's definitely better to have a safely delivered baby than a poor outcome.   It sounds like your history requires an earlier delivery, and it's good your doctor can make that call.   I'd definitely ask more questions, too, just to fully understand what's going on with your placenta and uterus.  Also, pre-eclampsia can affect the baby's growth, so better to get the baby out early than suffer a poorly perfusing placenta.

The exact definition is probably open to interpretation in different areas but 37 weeks would be classed as full term in the UK. If the doctor has suggested a CS at this gestation they must be worried about the risks of you going into spontaneous labour and feel the benefits of having an earlier CS outweigh the risks. You still have loads of time so like PP said just ask to talk it over again with your doctor. They will understand- we only retain about 10% of what we are told and these are high stress bits of info they are giving you. Hopefully he or she can give you some reassurance x
  • Options
    My sil had a scheduled csection at 37 weeks due to a growth restricted baby, baby was perfectly healthy just born at 4lbs 7oz.
  • Options
    I've had to have two c-sections, the first an emergency c @ 30wks, and the second a scheduled @ 36wks based on placement of the previous t'd incision and a history of preterm labor. This is our 6th and LO will be delivered via scheduled c-section at 36wks. All babies have been healthy, smaller, but healthy. 36 is still considered preterm, but if it's medically necessary and best for both you and baby I'd say do it.
  • Options
    im not worried about her not being healthy. 37 weeks isn't bad. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of the scar placement. As I never have. They been telling me all along they would probably take her early around 37 weeks depending on pre eclampsia. With my other 2 it showed up around 35 weeks. But when she said that about the scar I was just curious if anyone else knew anything about it. So it's only if it's vertical? Mines normal I guess? lol it looks like a smiley face but it's not vertical. Unless the cut across and then up and down on the inside... Hm. I'll know at my next app anyways. Just be really weird to schedule a c section for 39 weeks and then have them change it anyways.
  • Options
    A classical c section scar looks the same on the skin but is a vertical incision into the uterus x
  • Options
    @zmombie , I'd just ask doc @ next appt. My OB told me immediately after recovery from my first (the emergency c) that they'd had to make a t'd incision and thus any future deliveries would need to be c sections in order to minimize risk of uterine rupture. But on the outside you can't tell, I have a fairly small horizontal scar!
  • Options
    yeah the incision on the inside is not always the same as the one on the outside.  so if you have a vertical inside but a transverse on the outside they still can't let you do a VBAC.   usually the emergency c sections are done vertically.  def check with your doctor though. 
  • Options
    Oh! Okay. See my doc told me that future babies would be c section. Told me this pregnancy would be c section. I just thought it was the states policy.. Or because I had a c section due to a level 4 tear with my first.. So that options been eliminated for 6 years now. Lol. I'll see what she says at my app next month
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"