February 2015 Moms
Options

Baby's belly button falling off

pauhrdzpauhrdz member
edited March 2015 in February 2015 Moms
I noticed last night my 21 day old baby's belly button was beginning to fall off. This is my first baby so I don't know how a "normal" process is but I did get spooked bc I could see moist tissue under the dried umbilical chord. There is no blood or anything, but I am curious to know others experiences with this.

Re: Baby's belly button falling off

• Options
    It's perfectly normal. The moist tissue will dry up and flake off as soon as the umbilical cord falls off. My LO had some extra scab left behind after her umbilical cord fell off at 2 weeks, for a couple of days. But after a bath or two, it was completely gone and now she has a cute little innie! As long as the belly button, and surrounding area, is not covered in crusty yellow goup, swollen, leaking fluid, or bleeding; it's all normal! The umbilical cord usually falls off between 7 and 21 days PP. But, if you are concerned, or have any questions, call your pediatrician for some peace of mind.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Just wait 24 hours after the umbilical cords falls off (or after the area no longer appears moist) to give your little a bath.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My little one had goo leak out after the cord fell off for almost two weeks. I freaked out but my pediatrician said its normal. Her belly button is almost fully healed now but it took her awhile!
    Favorite thing about FALL?  Cooler weather!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DD had this too and pediatrician told me it's normal and to clean it with q tips and rubbing alcohol
  • Options
    Normal. You might also see dried blood on his/her clothes, which freaked us out, but is also normal. We waited probably a week or so after it fell off to give our LO a real bath. It still has some healing to do even after the cord comes off.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• Options
    Our doctor put a silver liquid in her bellybutton. She said it was to help it heal because it was still a little oozey after the cord fell off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"