C-sections

Contemplating 2nd C-section

edited March 2015 in C-sections
Hi everyone. I am currently pregnant with my second child. My first delivery ended with a cesarean section (and a beautiful baby boy, of course ;) 14 months ago) and I have been given the choice of a VBAC or a repeat C Section. Both have their risks and statistics supporting/not supporting each method. Any moms on here have a successful VBAC? And I would also love to hear from moms who have had repeat c sections.

I'm concerned about having a second c section for several reasons, as well as fearing a failed VBAC! I'm very anxious thinking about serious complications this time around. I am also concerned if I end up having a c section now....I will certainly have to deliver any future babies by c section.

Any way. Scared Momma over here! Please tell me your success stories with C Sections and VBACs! :)

Warm Happy Positive Feels!!

Re: Contemplating 2nd C-section

• I wanted a vbac, but 3 weeks before my EDD an ultrasound showed low fluid levels and they didn't improve over the next few days, so ended up with a RCS. While it wasn't my first choice, I found it much easier the second time around. My first one was unplanned because I got the the hospital in labor only to discover DS was breech, so I didn't know what to expect or anything. The second time, it was much calmer. We went in, they got me settled and prepped, and we went to the OR. I knew what to expect in there so I felt much more present for the whole experience. I also believe a recovered a little more quickly because, again, I knew what was going on and what the expectations were. Overall, if you really want to experience a vbac, I say go for it (I would have loved it) but keep yourself open to the alternative.
  • I asked my doctor and with my history she didn't even think of me doing a vbac, RCS was it.

For us it was a great experience.  It was so calm and peaceful in the OR - no panic unlike the urgent C-section with dd1.  Very emotional, in a good way.  I got to hold our dd just minutes after she arrived and held her for AGES after.  It was a lovely experience.

We will be having a RCS with our next as well - in September...  :)

Good luck!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Hi there! Going for a repeat section on 5/4. I have a seizure disorder so it was our choice to go through with a planned section in the event I had a seizure during labor. In my case, I am unable to have a natural birth but my doc explained to me that I wouldn't be a candidate for a VBAC anyway because I got pregnant so quickly after my first. She said to be a candidate for a VBAC I would have had to conceive 1 year after my LO was born. Not any sooner. Definitely chats with your doc about all your anxiety and concerns. You will do great. Congrats!
  • WeringWering member
    Hi there. I am planning a VBAC in August. The VBAC success rate really depends on the reasons for your first csection. I'm not concerned about the risks associated with VBAC - I'm more concerned about the risks associated with RCS. All of the doctors I've talked to (including the maternal fetal dr who did my ultrasound and my daughter's pediatrician) say that it's the better choice - when applicable - anyway. I'm scared of a failed VBAC, but I'm even more scared of not giving it a try. Talk with your doctor about it. They'll help you to sort through the facts. When are you due? Maybe we can coach each other?
  • I wanted a VBAC and was supported in trying one but after labor and pushing for 2 hours my DS1 got stuck in the exact same spot as DD and I ended up in a csection. It was probably
    For the best as my bladder tore during labor and needed to be repaired and they may not have known if I hadn't had the csection. I was happy to try and know it didn't work.

Fast forward to last Friday where I delivered DS2 via planned csection. I won't lie it wasn't a fun experience but here I am 6 days out and feel miles better than the last 2 recoveries. And there were no complications, even better.

So both have their benefits and drawbacks, you just have to make peace with either decision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • My last labor was "arrested" as I stopped progressing at 5cm. Because of this my doctor told me there is a larger chance of my needing a cesarean again. She told me that vbacs are usually more successful if they were performed because of a breech baby or if the baby was having distress. With that being said, I didn't have the best experience last time. My doctor said it is a lot different when planned. So I am having a really had time making a decision. Luckily I have until December to decide and she said nothing is definite and I can change my mind at any time. I think I will go ahead and schedule it at my next appointment just to make sure I have a spot. Good luck with making a decision, I know how hard it is!
  • I had been going back and forth with the same thoughts. Each time I met with a doctor I was given more facts about my first labor experience then I had remembered. The most recents doctor I saw really solidified my decision by giving me the hard facts for my body and that it is my structure. When faced with the facts that I could risk both baby and my life I chose RCS. I suggest as others have to discuss with your doctors.
    Books to read in 2015: 9/60
  • I am one of those who had a terrible RCS. They used a different drug for surgery & it wore off right out of the OR (literally 10 mins or so into recovery room). From there they couldn't keep my pain in control at all. I was crying & aggravated for 6 days before I started feeling any better. First CS, while emergency, was 10x better. If they'd let me, I would have tried vbac lol.