May 2015 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding class

narbrown5narbrown5 member
edited March 2015 in May 2015 Moms
We are expecting our first and I am planning on breastfeeding! Is it absolutely necessary to take a breastfeeding class? My schedule is a little crazy and it's been hard to find a class that I can make. My doctor said not to worry about it because the nurses will show me but I wanted some more advice!

Re: Breastfeeding class

• Options
    I'm a stm that didn't bf with my first. I'm going to do it with this LO so we opted for the class and I'm sooooooo glad we did. We learned a lot! Stuff that they just won't have time to teach you in the hospital. I'm so glad we found the time to take it. I have some clue now on best practices and ideas to help me along the way. I'd highly recommend making the time for at least that one class.
  • Options
    I didn't get a chance to take any breastfeeding classes with my first.  The nurses in the hospital are helpful - but also check to see if the hospital where you deliver has a dedicated lactation consultant.  I had the lactation consultant at the hospital help a bit and then I had one make a visit to help me at home a few days later to help me with some latching issues (she was a total lifesaver!).  
    Baby girl born on May 15, 2015!  (DS born 2011)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think my doctor gave us really good advice on this one! I'm a FTM, so she advised that we take a birth preparation class. However, said she didn't think a breast feeding class prior to birth was really worth the money. She said it's all hypothetical, and they'll tell you exactly what you can read in the books. You have no idea if you're baby will immediately take to breastfeeding, or if you'll need a bit of coaching. Therefore she said she thought it was better to save our money, and pay for a lactation consultant post-birth if we needed one.
    ***First-time Mom in New York City | Married 8.16.13 | Expected Due Date 5.29.15***

• Options
    I think it would be beneficial! I breast fed with my first for 1 1/2 years, but had a very rough start with all the pain and such. I think the more knowledge you have the better.. I cried for atleast a month every time I fed due to how tender and ripped up my nipples were. Otherwise if you can't get to the class I would def do a follow up with a lactation consultant if your hospital has one! They are so helpful!!
  • Options
    FTM here and I just took mine last week. The hospital I'm delivering at does offer the breastfeeding course for free so that was nice. I learned so much and I'm so glad I took it. Not only was the information nice but hearing the encouragement and reaffriming my decision to breastfeed in a supportive environment was a huge plus.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FTM here too and I also took my class through the hospital last week, although I know that the babies 'r' us near us has a class taught by the la leche league that is also free. It was an amazing learning experience. I have read what I thought was everything there is to know, but getting a chance to hear other peoples questions was great. And I would much rather prepare myself properly so that I can prevent any possible issues than trying to fix them later. But I am a little bit of a fanatical prepper. lol
  • Options
    Also, since husbands and significant others are encouraged to go, my hubby learned a lot. He will better understand what is going on as well as what he can help with. That might be the most important part!
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    I'm not taking one. I've been told you learn more once you have the baby and ask questions at hospital, plus you can always see a consultant afterwards if you are having issues.
  • Options
    I am a FTM so could be completely wrong about this but I feel breastfeeding is part mental. I have heard of so many people stopping after just a few weeks of trying and being unsuccessful. I am taking a class because I want to be as confident as possible going into it as I can be so I don't get discouraged easily. I would do whatever you need to do to feel prepared, whether that is reading a book, having a friend that's been through it on speed dial or taking a class.
  • Options
    I am a STM and I took a class with my first. After the entire experience, I feel like the nurses and the lactation consultants at the hospital during my stay and my appointments after we're so much more beneficial. Someone already said it... you just have no idea what your baby is going to do. Breastfeeding takes you and the baby to know how it is going to work for you so classes beforehand can be helpful, but you could probably get a book that days the same stuff.
    And breastfeeding is not all mental. Like I said, it is not just you. Half of the process is your baby. If he doesn't cooperate or can't do it, it may not work. Getting help is important though. My lactation consultant was the one that told me that she thought my son was not going to do it no matter what we tried. Her expert words helped me realize that it wasn't me failing. (Later on in his life we found out that he had many food and speech delays. I'm still grateful for that lactation consultant for giving me "permission" to give up since I felt so guilty about quitting.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone!! All advice was so helpful!
  • Options
    Maybe watch a breastfeeding video? I watched the 'laugh and learn' series and thought it was helpful. My local library had it on DVD along with a lot of other parenting resources.
  • Options
    I did not and did nurse my first and hope to again. My recommendation if you don't want to take a class, is at least do some reading up on BFing techniques and common pitfalls. A class won't completely teach you 'how' to BF anyway...there is a learning curve that BOTH mama and baby have to get through, and it can take time (by time I mean weeks) and be frustrating. Having some support for yourself planned....whether family or friends who have done it, or finding your local lactation consultant(s) prior to the birth, will be really helpful.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"