November 2014 Moms
Options

Fighting the bottle

My LO is 19 weeks old and has just recently started fighting his bottle. I may get him to take two full bottles a day, otherwise it's just 2 or 3 oz at a time. He cries, arches his back, and pushes the bottle away. It's so frustrating. We haven't changed formula, but he has been eating rice cereal and bananas for about 2 weeks now which he is doing great on. But, I want to keep his milk intake up as well. He is only in the 25th percentile for weight (though he has been since the beginning so the doctor is not concerned), so we are trying to keep his calories up. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm hoping it's just a phase and that he is just distracted now that he is moving and playing more, but it's still frustrating. He is still sleeping 9 hours a night (he has been since 8 weeks old), so I assume he is getting enough food. But I thought maybe someone would have some tips or tricks to help! Thanks so much!

Re: Fighting the bottle

• Options
    Same here. My son is 18 weeks. He sleeps through the night, started on rice cereal just last week. He has been refusing the bottle for 6 weeks now. DH and in laws used to be able to feed him with me out of the house no problem. I start a new job in 2 weeks so you can imagine my frustration.
  • Options
    I ebf. My baby has hated the bottle her whole life and shes in the 5-10th percentile

N14 mommy to be :)

My favorites: husband, chocolate.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you changed nipples? I had to go to a faster flow as my lo started fussing and pushing away. May be worth a shot.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had been through that..... I was using Dr brow bottles. So first I changed from nipples #2 to nipples #3. And it didn't work:( And I knew he likes the similac supplementation already make bottle ( when I go on long trips to my mom. I use that and is easier.) .... So I used its nipple that came with the box on Dr Brow bottle, and it worked!!! but the flow was too slow. So I used Prym Dritz Deluxe Seam Ripper to cut open a little more..... And it work!!!! And it has been a month and it's still good. But I am ready to move him to sippy cup. So I try today...... Very first time using Nuby 3 stage polypropylene bottle - 7 oz. So far it was good. But you never know.... It's only the first day...... And I found that he drink 1 oz less and takes longer time to finished. I am still observing now. Wish me luck ladies:)))
  • Options
    Hey! I have an update. My son was just ready for sippy cups. He still refuses the bottle but will drink out of any cup. It's tricky and messy, and sometimes I'm afraid he will choke but he's been doing great. He even likes to drink his rice cereal right out of the bowl when there's just a little bit left. Maybe give the cup a try a few days in a row. It took my son a little while to get used to it. A few weeks ago he would only drink barely an ounce, and today he drank 3.5. Keep it up!
  • Options
    mneesemneese member
    I posted 10 weeks ago about my son not taking the bottle, and he's STILL fighting it! He is 7 months old today. We went through a few good weeks, but now we are back to it. He clamps his mouth shut and refuses to drink. And then the uncontrollable crying starts. I've moved to the highest flow nipple, which helps a little, but not enough. Sometimes I can't get more than 4 oz in him at a time.. and that's even after he sleeps 12 hours at night without eating! We are working on sippy cups, but he isn't good enough yet to actually use them to get more than an ounce or so at a time. I'm lucky to get 18-20 oz of milk in him each day including what I put in his cereal - on a good day. I know he isn't getting enough fluids, but I have no idea what else to do! He almost completely refuses to take a bottle from anyone but me, and I work 2 days a week, so my mom can only get maybe 8 oz in him the whole time I'm at work.  He loves food and eats it well. But he hates the milk. I always make sure to offer him the bottle before he even sees the food, but sometimes I have to give up and give him food just to make sure he gets calories of some sort. I've tried other bottles and nipples with no luck. He's on a gentle formula for his stomach and I've tried Enamel and a couple of different store brands. I'm so frustrated and worried about him. Does anyone have any other suggestions or is anyone else having any problems like this? 
  • Options
    There are beginner sippy cups you can get :) My little one won't take a bottle , but loves her sippy cup (and big girl cup but way too messy haha). The sippy cups can be tricky at first because they need to sort of bite down to release the liquid. (At least the ones I have found) but I would squeeze it for her at first and she quickly caught on.