May 2015 Moms
Options

Family Cradle/Bassinet

When my DH and I told his side of the family that we were pregnant, his grandmother mentioned that there is a cradle that has been in the family for about 40 years that's been passed around.  It's beautiful, however we don't think we want to use it, plus we are expected to hang onto it until someone else in the family has children (which from the looks of it will be quite a while). 

Grandma took it upon herself to contact the family member who currently has it and made arrangements for it to be delivered to her home. She then sent my husband a message when telling him when he needs to pick it up since she doesn't have room for it.

How do we tell my husband's grandmother that we don't want it? Or should we just take it and use it?  We don't want anyone's feelings hurt, however my husband never knew the relative who made the cradle, and barely knows the relatives who have used the cradle this whole time.

Re: Family Cradle/Bassinet

• Options
    If it were me, I'd probably just take it, since she went through the trouble of having it brought back to her house. I might use it depending on the condition or maybe just leave it unused. Then after 3 months or so, if it's a smaller cradle, I'd have H tell the grandmother that baby has out grown it or is now sleeping in a crib and that we don't have the space anymore for it and ask what we should do with it.
  • Options
    That's sweet, and also frustrating! My in-laws tend to do the same type of thing. I wish they would ask first, but don't want to be ungrateful either. Do you have room to store it in your home, or would it be taking up precious space? Good to hear that it's a temporary item:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a bassinet that my grandfather made when I was born. We plan to use it because of tradition as well as it's great for us while baby sleeps in our room. My husband did have to reinforce it and make is more secure, but we are happy to have it and it means SO much to my family that we will be using it. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the input :) I was learning towards the same thing you are all saying... to take it.  It sounds like it means an awful lot to my DH's grandmother. I believe it was her father who made it.  If we have to store it we should be able to make room up in the attic and I would imagine it will be safe up there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"