May 2015 Moms
Options

Baby's Hospital bag

I'm packing my baby girls hospital bag what should I bring ? This is my first baby (: HELP Plzz (:

Re: Baby's Hospital bag

• Options
    There are a lot of great websites out there that have a full list prepared - https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=lcoBVcXUNsKD8Qe124DYAw#q=baby+hospital+bag

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Okay thank you (:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I been wondering this as well, looking at some lists I'll be taking a suitcase
  • Options
    For baby- bring the car seat, 2 light/medium blankets (you're not supposed to take the ones from the hospital, you may want one to put on baby in car seat and one to drape over car seat or just have as a back up), the coming home outfit (you can do whatever special thing you want, but in August we brought our daughter home in a long sleeve onesie with a tshirt onesie over it. No pants, We did have a light blanket on her legs/lap in carseat). 

You can bring your boppy if you plan to nurse. I brought mine, but my lactation consultants didn't want me to use it. What I found after their counsel was that it's actually best to use regular bed pillows for the first couple weeks. Once baby get's the hang of nursing, a boppy is much simpler and easier. But until then, you need multiple bed pillows (i often used like 4-5 at a time). The hospital will have all the pillows you'll need.

The hospital will provide you with a ton of diapers, wipes, vaseline (to put on baby's bottom after diaper change) as well as a hat, tshirt and all the blankets you'll need. They also have pacifiers available if you want them (I declined since they're not recommended at first if you're trying to breastfeed). They will also likely send you home with formula in case nursing doesn't work out, you have a small stash. Some hospitals do the newborn photography people- where they come around and do it in your room. So if yours does that, pack a cute boy for a girl or cute hat for a boy or whatever, if you're into that. 

So honestly- for baby- not much!!

When packing your partner's bag, though, don't forget to pack swim trunks if you plan to labor in water and snacks! At my hospital, I ate free but dh didn't. Also, I was only allowed 3 meals and PLEASE- i need like 6/day, so yeah- pack lots of snacks. Oh, and all your chargers and ipods and stuff! 
  • Options
    A hair brush. I forgot one with my first two and I will not forget one this time! I would bring 2 outfits for baby, one Nb and one 0-3m. We brought a 0-3 for my oldest daughter and she was swimming in it lol. Blankets are a must. I would grab a hat and socks too.
  • Options
    The hospital usually provides most things. I still bring it all. In mine is a few outfits, hats, socks, mittens, diapers, wipes, blankets, bottle, formula, baby lotion, and a binkie. Good luck.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    Our hospital said to bring nothing except 2 outfits for baby - 1 to go home in and 1 as a backup in case baby messes in first one. They provide everything else.
  • Options
    If your private take as little as possible with you, you've paid for hose privileges. If your using state care and you have everything, diapers, wipes, lotions and potions etc take your own. State health care run on a very tight budget and personally I'd prefer them to put funding into training, employing the best practitioners, the equipment needed and the building over paying out for all those little things that each and every new baby requires, especially so if you already have them to hand.
  • Options
    Wow!!! I'm using state medical care myself and I'm not being snooty in the slightest AND having worked for state health I know how dire things can be so like i said before i personally would take my own things I have already so I'm not using up hospital resources when the finances could be put to better uses for the people using the facility. However I completely understand that there are families who really require some help outs with these things and wouldn't begrudge them for their situations. Myself and my husband are going through some rubbish times at the moment (he's been diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer, there's very little any medical professionals can do other than buy time) we have very little income and life is a massive struggle. Our whole family live on the other side of the world. Please be more careful about making snap judgements on comments.
  • Options
    My hospital told me what's mine is mine and if we don't use it they have to disgard it because of regulations. It's your stuff no matter what type of insurance you have.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"