Cloth Diapering

Leaks galore

We're using prefolds that are for babies up to 16 lbs and rumparoos covers. Our baby is 11 pounds and (I thought) rather petite for 3 months old. Lately he wets every outfit we put on him. What gives? Should we get the next size up in prefolds? I feel like they will be huge and even more bulky than what we have already.

Any suggestions on other (non prefold) types of cloth diapers we should use instead?

Re: Leaks galore

• My son is 15 months and still using yellow GMD prefolds (we just trifold).  Are you using a brand like Osocozy or GMD?  There is a big difference between those and Gerber.  If you're using a good quality prefold, your problem is probably an awkward fitting cover or your diapers may need stripped.  Do they smell like soap?  If they do, try doing a few hot rinses until they don't.  You could have detergent buildup that is causing them to repel.  Fabric softener causes the same issues.
  • ::Palm to forehead:: i washed them before the first use in liquid detergent!! I totally forgot to use a special powder for them. Oops, I hope this is our issue. Thanks @shan417 !
  • Loading the player...
  • I use powder Tide and have never had an issue.
  • skbaum01 said:

::Palm to forehead:: i washed them before the first use in liquid detergent!! I totally forgot to use a special powder for them. Oops, I hope this is our issue. Thanks @shan417 !

Prepping with a liquid detergent shouldn't cause a problem. Where are the leaks coming from: leg holes, waistline, through the PUL? Are the prefolds soaked, partially wet, or mostly dry?

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • It seems like most leaks are at the waistline (either front or back) and each time the prefold didn't feel/look that wet. What are your thoughts, @PipSqueak0313 ?
  • Since they're not very wet and leaking then I would check with the ladies on the fb group or the rest of the regulars on the new site. @freezorburn is a better person to help with this issue than I am. The only thing that comes to my mind is check the fit of the cover and make sure the rise isn't too low.

My ds2 started leaking through his Osocozy prefolds at 11ish pounds too, but his were drenched and he was leaking from all possible places.

Another option you could try is using flats for a bit. My ds2 is a 20 pound 2 year-old...he was about 4-5 months old when he hit 10 pounds and yeah, the next size up prefolds were bulkier than all get up on him.

• Do you have the web address for the new site? Not sure what it is. Thank you!
  • Sent a PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"