May 2015 Moms
Options

TDap Question

So I planned on getting this but my OB's office never mentions it and i always have my 2 year old and am so scatter brained I forget to ask every time! But today I was seeing my primary care doc so I just asked her for it. She told me she wasn't comfortable with this because I had it when I was pregnant with my 2.5 year old, and I still had the immunity. Apparently, you don't need the shot while pregnant to pass on the immunity to the baby? This was what she said. So she saw no reason why I would need one. She said I should talk to my OB.

So - has anyone heard of this? I just want to make sure that my baby has the immunity, but don't really want to get the vaccine if I'm already passing the immunity on. Thoughts/opinions/experience/etc.? 

Thanks!

Re: TDap Question

• Options
    That sounds weird. My doctors office has a notification kinda thing when you hit so many weeks. The cdc recommends it, you say okay, and you get it done. That's pretty much how my visit went but I have seen it on the wall of the health dept for years so I knew I had to have it. My shot was blended with tetanus vaccine, guess easier to absorb. But this seems like a thing you would need for every baby...no matter the time frame. Have you Googled the vaccine info yourself ? Also did she mention your family members who see the baby the most need the vaccine ?
  • Options
    Recommended to get a Tdap with every pregnancy (no matter when last vaccine was done) during the third trimester to pass immunity. This is a newish recommendation so maybe your family doc isn't familiar. OB office should offer this between 30 and 36 weeks :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The current recommendation is with each pregnancy. I ended up with 2 tdaps in 1 year. Talk with your OB.
  • Options
    Okay excellent- this is all what I originally thought. I'm going to post it note the shit out of my house so i remember to ask the OB next visit! They've never once mentioned it. They don't tell me anything! I had to tell them it was time for my glucose test! ugh! 
  • Options
    That's a strange OB office.
  • Options
    Yeah, they aren't together at all. Actually, after I took and passed my glucose test- 2 weeks later I got a call from a nurse saying I needed to complete it by the end of the week. I was like, "Umm...I did that already". She put me on hold for like 10 minutes and then came back on and was like, "Okay we're set, thanks" and hung up. 

• Options
    I would totally move, even if its late in the game. Seems very unprofessional.
  • Options
    You are suppose to get a shot with every pregnancy, even if it was last year. It's also advised for close relitives to get a shot, it only takes a minute and it protects your kiddo.
  • Options
    I just got the shot at 28 weeks and they told me that with every pregnancy you should get this shot to protect baby.
  • Options
    I've never heard of getting the shot but I'm also in Canada so perhaps that's the difference. I got it after my daughter was born 2.5 years ago and they said I'm good for like 7 years

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    So mine gives you the shot right after you deliver, not during pregnancy. They require me to do it, but they wait. Maybe that is the policy of your office too?
  • Options
    TBsquared said:

I've never heard of getting the shot but I'm also in Canada so perhaps that's the difference. I got it after my daughter was born 2.5 years ago and they said I'm good for like 7 years

I am in Canada as well, I will be getting one later this trimester, to pass on greater immunity to the baby.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"