April 2015 Moms
Options

niece has MRSA outbreak

I just found out today my niece has MRSA, she has an outbreak on her bottom right now. I feel so bad for her, she is just over a year old. Her mom, my sisterinlaw may have it as well(hasnt been tested yet.) but has boils. Also other Sister in law may have too(waiting on results)..has symptoms and bumps. I am really worried now, but what happens if I get infected with this? I am 36 weeks, and I doubt I would be able to get any medication to treat the infection since I am pregnant. I will ask my doctor about it when I see her, but has anyone had some type of disease like this while pregnant? I am just wondering if they would induce me or have me have a c-section, or would I just have to go through dealing with the MRSA until the baby was born. I am just venting and feeling very worried about the whole situation. I haven't had direct contact with any of the infected areas. 

Re: niece has MRSA outbreak

• Options
    There are antibiotics that are safe for pregnant women that they could give you. Otherwise, Dr. Google says the chance of passing the infection to the baby during vaginal delivery is slim. Regardless, unless you show symptoms or test positive I wouldn't stress about it. Just bring your concerns up with your doctor.
  • Options
    I had it after my first, it's worry but it's ok a lot of people are just carriers as well so it shows up but nothing to worry about xx they will swab you at your next midwife appt or sooner if you ask and you and your baby will get an antibacterial wash to wash in and a antibiotic to put up your noses with a cotton bud.......please don't worry!! I have been told that if I show up as positive again I get my own private birthing suite which any normal person would have to pay big bucks for so there is a bonus to it :-) xx and as for your niece she just needs the scrub and creams and will be fine......it's a lot scarier than it sounds and just as bad as a slight staph infection nappy rash wise xx don't panic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    blackpashirblackpashir member
    edited March 2015
    Also when I was pregnant with my first we had the swine flu epidemic in the UK and I showed symptoms of that at like 6 months pregnant so I had to take all the antibiotics for that and my littlun turned out just fine.....so Yeh I kinda had the run of it last pregnancy!!! If they do have to give you antibiotics before birth all will be fine x
  • Options
    It is spread through contact. So don't touch them or the areas that are affected. Wash your hands. Mrsa is quite common these days and I guarantee you more people have it and don't know about it. I work in healthcare, never been tested but I'm sure I have it but it's colonized.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! I seriously went on a cleaning spree in my own home just worrying about it. It helps a lot to hear your reply, that helps to ease my worry, thank you!
  • Options
    When I was pregnant with my son, my MIL was in the hospital dying. My husband was there daily and I visited often over the course of 2 months. We learned that she had MRSA about one month into her stay. I freaked out. My doctors told me to avoid visits if possible, not to touch my MIL, and to scrub carefully. My husband would shower upon getting home.
  • Options
    I had mrsa years ago when I volunteered at a nursing home. My midwives asked me at my first appointment if I ever had it, after saying yes but years ago, she told me I had to have 2 negative mrsa tests before delivery. Luckily both of my tests came back negative, but said if there was any doubt about carrying it still I would have to deliver and have my stay in the isolation unit.
  • Options
    You don't even know if you have it yet- so first step would be getting swabbed at your doctors office if you have had contact with your neice and SIL. If you do test positive, then when you deliver you will under contact precautions until you have 3 pertinent negative swabs ( 3 different swabs at least 5 days a part). Contact precautions means that anyone entering your room will need to wear a protective gown/gloves when having contact with you and your baby will not be able to go to the newborn nursery- baby will get all tests in the room with you. This is what we do at my hospital anyways when mama's have a positive MRSA.
  • Options
    Otherwise translated as your own private birthing suite........so not all bad, look for the positives eh :-) just don't worry I got through it all ok xx
  • Options
    Aren't all birthing rooms private?
  • Options
    Not in UK you have your room where you give birth then get put with everyone else......so I mean you get your own room the whole time your in hospital x
  • Options
    Oh yikes! I am glad you get a private birthing room, but didn't realize you might share a post partum room! So I assume you share a bathroom then with your roommates/ spouses and have the pleasure of hearing multiple babies crying I guess that is another incentive to go home as soon as medically possible.
  • Options
    Yup!!! x
  • Options
    I work in a prison and we see MRSA almost daily. it really is not a big deal. Te recommended treatment is Bactrim which is safe in pregnancy. Just think of ot as a skin infection. Don't let the term MRSA scare you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"