April 2015 Moms

Help! Acid reflux

first time pregancy...35w4d and feeling great except for heart burn and the terrible burning in the back of my throat. Any quick tips? I've been eatting smaller meals, tons of water...help!

Re: Help! Acid reflux

• I tried everything...OTC meds, tums, drinking milk. Finally called my Dr. and he gave me a prescription for Prilosec. So much better! Maybe try the OTC Prilosec. If that doesn't work, definitely call your Dr. You don't have to suffer!
  • Seltzer helps me. Tums too. Giving myself a few hours between dinner and bedtime. Sleeping at an incline. Also sitting at an elevation (on a firm cushion if I'm on the couch) to try to elongate my stomach from my esophagus as much as possible.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I've cut out all foods that might cause heartburn (including anything too greasy or fried). Also, I take 2 tums everyday before dinner and that's also helped A LOT with my heartburn!
  • Chocolate is probably the worst thing for acid reflux so avoid that!
    I agree with taking a few tums around dinner time! And taking small sips of milk periodically.
  • You should be drinking water of course, but actually water is very bad for acid reflux. Don't drink too much at once, just sip on it throughout the day and make sure that it's not ice cold because that can trigger acid reflux. Milk always helps me, but every time I drink water in large doses it's just about the worst thing.

FTM & TEAM BLUE!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• My OB instructed me to take OTC Prilosec (actually the same stuff as a prescription - 20mg omeprazole).
    DD 7/2010, DS 3/2012, #3 due 4/24/2015

• Check 2nd page. There is an acid reflux thread with 31 responses. Also if you use search function you will find even more advice/home remedies for acid reflux
  • I'm 35w4d. I take Zantac 150mg twice a day and also Prevacid 15mg daily along with tums. It helps.
  • kjuryflkjuryfl member
    edited March 2015
    OTC meds and other at home remedies didn't touch my reflux. I started prescription meds (Prontonix) a few weeks ago and it is a night and day difference. I used to wake up several times a night choking on stomach acid and now I can actually sleep and enjoy any foods without fear that later that day I will be miserable!
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • Just ask your doctor or midwife for a recommendation. I've been eating much smaller meals and trying to limit heartburn-inducing foods for weeks, but I still needed something stronger than Tums. Pepcid AC (generic name is  famotidine) has worked wonders for me.

• first time pregancy...35w4d and feeling great except for heart burn and the terrible burning in the back of my throat. Any quick tips? I've been eatting smaller meals, tons of water...help!

I'm avoiding the foods and drinks that make it worse (which is hard!)- for me that's greasy/fried foods, , tomatoes and tomato sauce, acidic foods, citrus fruits, chocolate, and caffeine. At night I sleep with my head (and my chest) a little bit elevated on pillows. I've also tried Tums. This keeps mine under control but you could also try OTC "H2 blocker" acid reducers like Zantac or Pepcid. I've also heard that probiotics may be helpful. If you are miserable and nothing is working ask your Dr. She can prescribe you Prevacid or Reglan. 
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • A friend recommended I put Peppermint Essential Oil (If your skin is sensitive you may need to dillute.) on my upper abdomen just under my ribs. Then place an ice pack on top of shirt in same location. I let it sit for 10 minutes on, 10 off. Once is all it takes for me, & the smell is relaxing.
  • I started taking Zantac twice a day and it helped tremendously. I cut way back on my Tums intake! A co-worker suggested a spoonful of sour cream. I never tried it, but she swears by it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"