April 2015 Moms
Options

Diaper Size Help

I did a search before posting this but didn't find exactly what I was looking for so if this has already been posted I apologize.. Anyways, I had a couple showers and each one had a diaper raffle and people were overwhelmingly generous with the diaper boxes they brought. The nursery is stacked with boxes of diapers right now. I am a FTM so for all you mama pros: how long did you use size 1 diapers? I have 16 boxes (the ones with about 100 diapers each) of size 1 and probably about 10 of newborn. I'm assuming I would only need a couple of boxes of newborn, but what about size 1? I plan on exchanging for sizes 2 and 3 but I have no idea how many I should keep.. Help me out ladies!!!

Re: Diaper Size Help

• Options

This site gives you one mother's approximation of how many diapers she used and in what sizes during the first year. It will give you an idea, but gain as long as the stores let you exchange, I might wait.

https://thriftyfrugalmom.com/save-money-build-diaper-stockpile-includes-approximate-diaper-usage-1st-year/#sthash.SV9nh0e5.wst2n3pT.dpbs

FTM & TEAM BLUE!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    kjuryflkjuryfl member
    edited March 2015
    16 boxes of size 1.. Wow!! That is so generous. I would exchange a few of those for bigger sizes but you really have no idea how your child will fit until he/she comes. I never went off of the weight suggestions because they were off for my daughter. She was in newborn diapers for a month since she would blow out of size 1. She was in size 1 and 3 the longest. Then she pretty much skipped size 4 and was in size 5/6 for the same time periods.
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • Options
    Thank you!! I think I'm so overwhelmed with the stacks of diapers waiting until he starts outgrowing them didn't even cross my mind. Thanks for the input!!!
  • Options
    First Wow! 16 boxes! This is my third baby and as a semi-seasoned MTB. I would say exchanged some of those boxes for a bigger size. However, try the diapers out. With my first (girl) I stayed with pampers for the first few weeks then switched to Huggies. With my second (boy) I again started with the Pampers then tried the store (Target). Those diapers held up; no blow outs (from stinky ones) like Huggies did with my first. With this third baby, again I will be starting with the Pampers then moving to the store. I use the Pampers size 1 and 2 because of the "wet indicator line" meaning it will change color when the baby is wet. The hospital will supply you with diapers while your there and I would suggest (depending on the hospital) to ask for a few more to take home with you (mine nurse grabbed me some more to take home). Oh yeah and wipes, I would get the big box. You will be using those for everything, lol. Just like with the diapers find the brand you like the best. There are plenty out there to choose from. Do what you want because this baby is yours!!!!
    PS if you do open a box and the diaper no longer fits take it back to the store. They will usually exchange it for a larger size without question.

!!!!Congrats on your new baby!!!! Enjoy every minute, they do grow up fast.
  • Options
    If you have room to store them I totally would, when LO grows out of each size I would exchange them for either larger sizes or $ credit!
  • Options
    I got one box of newborn diapers at my shower and I bought one box of size 1 so far. My sister in laws both had large babies and never used newborn at all and my DD was a small baby so I have no idea what to expect this one to wear so I am prepared with both just incase.
  • Options
    @onwax2 thank you!!! Most of these are pampers too but there's a couple boxes of huggies
  • Options
    Your welcome. Always remember this is your pride and joy. What helps them be comfortable will allow you to relax and be comfortable.
  • Options
    @onwax2 have you tried luvs? I just found a couple packages of those in this pile
  • Options
    I would guess you probably aren't going to need that many newborn diapers.  All babies are shaped differently, but my daughter was born 8 lbs 6 oz and was only in NB size diapers for about 2 weeks before blowing out of them every time she let loose.  She was in 1's for quite a while, I would guess about 2 months.  I've got about 800 size 1 diapers stocked up for baby girl due in a few weeks and probably only about 100 newborn size, plus the hospital sent us home with a few full packages of newborn size with my last daughter.  I also have about 800 size 2 stocked up and am planning to order a couple more cases of size 3's.  Hoping I won't need to buy any while I'm on my maternity leave with only 6 weeks of 60% of my pay from disability which leaves 6 weeks unpaid.  I'm also trying to stock up on 4's and 5's for my daughter so I won't have to buy any for her either, but thankfully since she's 1 yo she doesn't go through anywhere close to what a newborn goes through in a day :) 
  • Options
    onwax2onwax2 member
    edited March 2015
    @shrkfan No I have never tried Luvs. I found the Target brand holds a lot and I mean ALOT of fluid.
  • Options
    shrkfan said:

@onwax2 have you tried luvs? I just found a couple packages of those in this pile

I liked Luvs. DD did well in them. They are thinner like Pampers but hold liquid quite well.
  • Options
    We started with Pampers for the first few months.  My daughter absolutely hated being even the tiniest bit wet so the swaddlers didn't last long.  We switched to the Pampers Baby Dry and she was much happier in those as they kept the moisture locked away from her much better than the swaddlers.  Then I saw a package of Luvs that said they had a money back guarantee and they were about $18 cheaper per case, so I figured what the heck.  I am so glad I did!  We've been using them ever since, even overnight.  She's had a couple nights where she did soak through but she's almost a year old now so she holds a lot more liquid than she did before, but it's still pretty rare.  I would definitely say save yourself some serious money and go with Luvs! 
  • Options
    2 of my babies were 6 lbs and wore newborns just a few weeks, we were out of newborns with one box. My last child was 8 lbs and skipped newborns!! So it all depends on baby!! Hold onto them and when you go to exchange them dont forget a box!! I forgot one package and went back, the store blocked me from returning them. You will stay in 3's and 4's for awhile!! Good luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"