Late Term and Child Loss

Intro/What do you say? (other children mentioned)

My son, Sam, passed away February 11.  He was four months old.

I took my daughters (almost four and two) to the park today.  My older daughter saw a friend she knows from Mother's Day Out.  I started talking to the girl's mom.  Very casual small talk.  She had her six week old son with her.  At one point she asked if I had "just the two."  I hesitated, and then said yes because I didn't want to make things awkward with someone I barely knew.  But then I felt immensely guilty.  I apologized to Sam.  How do you handle these questions?  I want to have a plan because I know this will happen again.  What do you say if someone asks if you have kids/how many do you have?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Intro/What do you say? (other children mentioned)

• I almost always include Nathaniel when people ask me. Sometimes it makes other people feel uncomfortable and they shut down the conversation, but I don't care. He is my son. I'm going to include him. If I don't DD will probably mention him and that he died and I will have to explain myself anyway.
    Abigail Grace 9/7/10
    Nathaniel Willis born sleeping 2/6/14
    Felicity Hope 4/6/15

• ****siggy warning

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I always include my son in the count. The next question is often how old he is so I just say "He would be 18 months but he passed away at 8 months". People usually just say they're sorry, I say thank you, and we move on.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry for your loss. I include my son in the count. If they ask anything else about him I just say he passed away. They usually don't ask too many questions after that.
  • Thank you, ladies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • **Ticker Warning**

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet Sam. We are all here for you when ever you need to talk.

At first I was always caught off guard and didn't know how to respond so my answer would change from day to day. Now I always include my daughter in the count. She existed and mattered and still does.

Brooke Elizabeth born Feb 17, 2013 grew wings May 9, 2013 @ 11 weeks & 4 days old from SIDS

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm so sorry for the loss of your LO. It's such a difficult question to answer for anyone who has experienced baby/child loss.

Like the others, I include our daughter. Usually something like "I have a daughter. She would be x." Some people will just say "I'm so sorry" and move on. Others will (occasionally) ask questions - usually they ask if it's okay if they do first, which is nice. I'm pretty open about it - I want others to know that this happens and break the taboo, so if they give me an opportunity, I take it.

Whatever works for you is best, though.
  • I am so sorry for your loss.

I too struggle with this question and it sometimes catches me off guard. If I answer incorrectly, I have the guilt that follows. I am a mother to an almost two year old. When we moved into our new home, our neighbors asked if we had any kids and I said no :( It is going to be awkward explaining all his pictures posted throughout our home.

These will happen but the key is to not beat ourselves up to much about it.

Married my rock - April 29, 2011
    BFP - June 4, 2011 EDD February 3, 2012
    Super T born @ 37 weeks - January 13, 2012
    Super T diagnosed with stage IV high risk Neuroblastoma nmyc-amp - January 2, 2013
    Super T cancer free - June 19, 2013
    Super T relapsed - January 2, 2014
    Super T earned his angel wings - January 3, 2014

TTC for #2 beginning November 2014
    BFP #2 - Chemical Pregnancy - Confirmed May 29, 2015
    Diagnosed with PCOS; HSG - Clear; SA - Clear
    Clomid #1 - BFN
    Femera Cycle #2 - BFN
    Femera Cycle #3 - BFP 11/10/15 - EDD 07/14/16

• **ticker**

I am so sorry for your loss.  We all struggle with this question.  I used to always include my boys in my answer, but now I pick and choose when I include them.  This isn't because I don't count them in my heart or my head, but simply because sometimes I want to spare myself a really awkward conversation.  Usually if strangers ask, I leave them out (so that I don't have to answer things like, oh how old are your twins, etc).  But every other time, I include my boys.  There is no right or wrong way to answer this question.  You love your son regardless. 
  • BLPL101BLPL101 member
    edited March 2015
    It is such a hard question for people like us. I might say 1 living or maybe just say 2, but one passed away.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"