Working Moms

Daycare and Sickness

So, DD is nearing 2 and has been with a nanny since around 6 weeks old when I went back to work.  For the first year, our pedi told us to avoid daycare as DD was a preemie.  As of her first birthday, the pedi gave the all clear for daycare.  DH and I have really been struggling.  We've found a great center nearby which is half the cost of what we pay for our nanny.  I also think it would be good to get DD around other kids all day, every day for socialization.  Our problem is what if she gets sick?  We both have demanding jobs.  Being called out once or twice would be fine, but any more than that would be an issue.  DD has been out and abou more this year, she goes to preschool 1 day a week at our church, the library and also to Gymboree (with our nanny).  DD never got sick until she was 17 months old, since she was relatively isolated.  Now that she is out and about she's getting minor things every other month (which the pedi says is totally normal for her age).  She's down for the count for 2-3 days, then totally normal.  Our nanny watches DD so DH and I have no interruption during the work day.

I know daycare would require her to stay home for these times, so what would we do?  We have no family nearby, no help.  The one time in 2 years our nanny called out sick we had to scramble for back up care and pay $25/hour plus agency fees to an agency for an on call nanny.  Not something I'd want to do on a monthly basis.

I know a lot of working folks have kids in daycare, so how is this handled?  For situations where there is no family/support nearby and your work is not flexible? 

TIA!

DOR and AMA
2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
Follow up testing in September all clear;
Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
12/12- Officially an OB patient!
Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

Re: Daycare and Sickness

• jd614jd614 member
    In my opinion, it sounds like daycare wont work for you unless you can find a consistent sitter to be available for those days. I have decided to leave my job and become a stay at home mom next month, and this was just one of the many reasons that led to the decision. DS is in daycare, and DH and i would find ourselves battling who was going to stay home the next day when he had a fever, had a stomach bug etc. I have 0 flexibility to work from home and while DH can, its not ideal and he was never getting anything done anyway. We are having number 2 in May, and we already said if I ever chose to go back to work, we would get a nanny . Ive loved every second of daycare and DS has thrived, but logistically its difficult when neither parent has any flexibility. I wouldnt push it. If you are looking for socialization, have your nanny take your LO to a class or 2 during the week, story time at the library, schedule playdates, etc.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"