Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

3 month old question

My LO just turned 3 mo and I have a question.

He past couple of days he's been nursing like crazy and clinging so much. Every time I put him down he cries. I figure this is a growth spurt. However, there are times when he will cry like in pain during his naps or just sitting in his crib/room chair. It scares me because I check him and he's totally fine. It's worse at night being scared out of sleep.

Is this normal?

Also, if this is a growth spurt, is it conman for LO to not sleep well at night? He's up every 1-2.5 hours wanting to eat/suckle and then is awake for an hour or so and will cry if I'm not holding him. It's very tiring for me and I've been really sleep deprived with a headache because of it. Any suggestions?

Re: 3 month old question

• Options

Lets get some more back story. Are you a SAHM? Does he go to daycare at all? Was there a recent trauma? (dropped)

A growth spurt can cause the constant eating and we experienced them at 6, 10, and 12 weeks. Do you lay him down with a paci? Is he swaddled? Have you noticed that he still has the startle reflex? BF of FF?

I don't recommend the CIO but does he cry enough to warrant you getting out of bed or is he just fussy?

• Options

Lets get some more back story. Are you a SAHM? Does he go to daycare at all? Was there a recent trauma? (dropped)

A growth spurt can cause the constant eating and we experienced them at 6, 10, and 12 weeks. Do you lay him down with a paci? Is he swaddled? Have you noticed that he still has the startle reflex? BF of FF?

I don't recommend the CIO but does he cry enough to warrant you getting out of bed or is he just fussy?

Yes I'm a sahm; no daycare or trauma. He doesn't take a paci and doesn't swaddle (never started at the hospital because they don't do that where I live and he never took to it at home). Not sure what the startle reflex is but if that means does he still twitch when I put him down, yes. I keep a hand on him when I put him down until he stops moving. He is BF mostly and only gets formula maybe twice a week when my mil watches him while I run errands.

Sometimes he's fussy but that always turns into crying where I have to soothe. We co-sleep so his bed is in our room so I hear everything. Plus he hates having a wet diaper so he'll wake up fussy due to that and then will be up because he's cried himself awake.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would call your Pedi
  • Options

We have just recently started supplementing with formula every once in awhile. I called the Pedi because I couldn't get help with how much to supplement/ what it was going to do to DS. I was told that the formula, though nourishing, can also cause tummy problems. It takes (on average) 2 weeks of consistent formula for a baby to adjust. So giving it here and there randomly may be the cause of all the fussing. I agree with PP in that you may just need to get ahold of Pedi.

Do you pump and save? This could help you get rid of formula while your mil watches him. It does get easier!

• Options
    Well, I live in Japan and don't have a pedi since they have social insurance. I do have his 3 month apt coming up that my husband set up today.

But yesterday and today have been a nightmare. He has screamed and cried so hard off and on all of last night and today. He was up every 45 minutes last night so neither of us slept...he wouldn't nap today at all. He cried for almost 1.5 hours straight. Me mil came over to help give me a break and he went down for her. He slept an hour then woke up to feed then 1.5 hours more and is now nursing. He woke up gassy and screaming so it may be gas but it could be something else. I'm at my wits end trying to deal alone this week.
  • Options
    MommyMoru said:

Well, I live in Japan and don't have a pedi since they have social insurance. I do have his 3 month apt coming up that my husband set up today.

But yesterday and today have been a nightmare. He has screamed and cried so hard off and on all of last night and today. He was up every 45 minutes last night so neither of us slept...he wouldn't nap today at all. He cried for almost 1.5 hours straight. Me mil came over to help give me a break and he went down for her. He slept an hour then woke up to feed then 1.5 hours more and is now nursing. He woke up gassy and screaming so it may be gas but it could be something else. I'm at my wits end trying to deal alone this week.

When my first child did this, I realized he was really, really hungry and I wasn't producing enough milk for him so I started on formula (after lots and lots of work with a lactation consultant). He immediately calmed down and didn't cry so much once he was truly full.

Could your LO just be really hungry?

• Options
    We went through this with our 3 month old about a week ago. He has acid reflux and he was on zantac. It was working for a bit then bam constant screaming crying 24/7 in pain our pediatrician changed him to previcid and withing 24 hrs he has calmed down and now is back to our happy sweet boy. Worth looking into? Very common I think
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"