High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Help! Just pregnant and taking high risk medications!

Hi. So my situation is a bit complicated. I haven't had my period for 2 months now. I went to the doctor only 2 weeks ago and had both blood and urine false pregnancy tests. Since my period skipped an entire month, my doctor prescribed me 7 days worth of Provera to bring on my period. I took the medication for the week. 5 days after finishing the medication I still had no period. I took a HPT today and it is positive. I also have been taking prescription Xanax for anxiety. Since my blood test was negative 2 weeks ago, I estimate it could have been no more than 3 weeks since conception, otherwise my blood test would have been positive 2 weeks ago. I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen during their pregnancy. So question 1: did the provera have a negative effect on your pregnancy? and question 2: has anyone been on Xanax while pregnant or during the first trimester and had a healthy or non-healthy pregnancy? 
Obviously I plan on discussing this with my OBGYN and psychiatrist ASAP but would like to know if any Moms out there have had first hand experience with either issue. 
THANK YOU!

Re: Help! Just pregnant and taking high risk medications!

• Options
    I was on Klonopin, 1mg 3x a day when I found out I was pregnant....I weaned completely off by the time I was 14 weeks and baby is healthy... Benzos are a bitch to come off of, but it's doable, if it's the best thing for you...sometimes the benefit to stay on certain medications outweighs the risks, so talk to your doc....my biggest fear was not having the medicine to take when I had my panic attacks, but I've learned to cope and believe it or not they haven't been as frequent or intense as they used to be....my doctor did suggest switching to an anti anxiety like Zoloft if I needed to, but I've been okay so far and I'm 32 weeks along...good luck :)
  • Options
    I was taking Cymbalta for anxiety and atenelol for hypertension when we got pregnant - tapered off both successfully within a few weeks, no problems at all (well, except blood pressure, had to swap over to labetalol, as expected with my history). I've been surprisingly good without the Cymbalta during the pregnancy!

Do still be sure to discuss it with all your doctors - my OB was very positive on making sure MAMA was okay first and foremost.
    Ben Louis, born March 20, 2015 @ 11:50PM. Delivered by c-section at 32 weeks and 6 days due to mother's pre-eclampsia. Doing brilliantly in NICU!

Handstamped, custom jewelry from Charmedseed... grown just for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"