Breastfeeding

Breast Pump Question

Is it wrong to put a breast pump on your registry? I put the one I plan to use on the registry, as it's nearly $300 and I am hoping that someone will gift it to us so it's one less thing we have to splurge on...

I also was wondering if anyone has put little nipple creams and bamboobie-pads on their registries? I have left those off the registry for now...

Thanks! :)

Re: Breast Pump Question

• I don't think it's wrong to put any of the above on a registry, but did you look to see if insurance will cover a pump?
  • Obama said insurance has to cover a pump, but he didnt say it had to be the one you wanted. I did put nursing butter and breast pads on the registry, didnt get them from anyone. My mom advised "milk cups" Avent makes some, lets air circulate and I can save leaked milk.
    you might not get the pump given to you, but you may get gift cards that you can put toward it. People will get you what they want, in my experience. If you get too much of that stuff, you can return some for credit toward your bigger purchases, too :-) GL!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • gypsea1109gypsea1109 member
    edited March 2015

I don't think it's wrong to put any of the above on a registry, but did you look to see if insurance will cover a pump?

I have such sensible items on my registry...hardly anything fun, so I felt like a breast pump was not totally out of place...they are so pricey! 

Insurance covers the ones they give you from the hospital (to rent). I don't know how I feel about that...I think I'd like to own the one I use.
  • Obama said insurance has to cover a pump, but he didnt say it had to be the one you wanted. I did put nursing butter and breast pads on the registry, didnt get them from anyone. My mom advised "milk cups" Avent makes some, lets air circulate and I can save leaked milk.
    you might not get the pump given to you, but you may get gift cards that you can put toward it. People will get you what they want, in my experience. If you get too much of that stuff, you can return some for credit toward your bigger purchases, too :-) GL!

Insurance covers part of the rented cost if I were to choose to rent one from the hospital. I just don't think I use a rented one that's had God-knows how many women's breast milk in those tubes and all. Yuck! 

I am having a girl, so everyone tells me that I will get clothes and nothing from my registry, so if I get enough outfits to return...maybe I could buy the pump and other more necessary items from our registry. :)
  • You might double check your insurance. Mine had an option of rental OR purchase one. The rentals are closed system and can be and are completely sanitized. Most pumps you purchase cannot be totally sanitized.

Anyway, yes it's fine to put breastfeeding accessories on your registry but most people shy away from buying them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You might double check your insurance. Mine had an option of rental OR purchase one. The rentals are closed system and can be and are completely sanitized. Most pumps you purchase cannot be totally sanitized.

Anyway, yes it's fine to put breastfeeding accessories on your registry but most people shy away from buying them.

Yeah, I know I would be kind of weirded out about buying someone a breast pump...my mom totally told me to put it on the registry, so here's to hoping it'll be in her gift haul for the Little One ;) 

My insurance only does rentals. :/ 
  • My insurance covered the complete purchase of the pump... now they only had 2 styles of the medela to choose from and if I wanted to pick the 3rd one I had to pay $75 for the upgrade.

I think its fine to register for one as well as the creams, breast pads etc. because even if you don't get them, you'll get a registry completion discount coupon from most places that will at least save you some money when you do have to buy them.

• I got my breastpump for free through insurance from Aeroflow Healthcare.  I could choose between Medela, Ameda, or Hygeia pumps but I paid a little extra for the Medela On The Go Tote.  I got it within a week and they said after my due date I might be eligible for replacement supplies.  I would check with insurance before you put it on your registry, although I don't think it's a bad idea.  My sister is the one who told me about getting the breastpump for free due to Obamacare.  Here's a link for yall if you want to see if insurance will cover your pump..https://www.breastpumps.aeroflowinc.com/qualify-through-insurance/
  • Since I've become a breast feeding mom I always give a breast feeding basket as a shower gift if I know the person plans to breast feed. It's not somethin to ooh and Ahhh over but I know it ment a lot to me and I like to keep that going.
  • Since I've become a breast feeding mom I always give a breast feeding basket as a shower gift if I know the person plans to breast feed. It's not somethin to ooh and Ahhh over but I know it ment a lot to me and I like to keep that going.

I had a friend who got me one of these! It had sanitizing wipes, a nursing tank, nipple cream, freezer bags, steam bags for the microwave... it was awesome!

I also registered for a pump, and someone did buy it for me which was great. And for the person worried about hospital pumps that are used by different people- the tubing is brand new for every person, and the pump itself is cleaned, so it's totally sanitary.
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with putting pricier items like a nice breast pump on your registry. I didn't put a pump on mine, but I did put some more expensive items on it that I was surprised people actually purchased! :) I would just make sure to put lots of things at each price point so that people can purchase what they can afford.
  • I WISH my insurance would cover renting hospital grade...they only do that if you have a prescription for hospital grade due to having a preemie or another such issue. Hospital grade pumps are superior to personal ones, especially if you plan to pump a lot. They're faster and do a better job of maintaining supply.

Insurance did cover my Madela PISA but I put other stuff (nipple cream, etc) on my registry. If insurance hadn't covered the pump I wanted i would have just rented hospital grade out of pocket. I still might do that if I wind up pumping more than actually breastfeeding, but if the free PISA does the job I'll stick with that to save the cash.
  • If your insurance won't cover the cost, definitely put it on your registry. That way if you don't end up getting it, or get gift cards and such, you can always make use of the registry completion discount that most registries offer for items remaining on the registry!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 - 8/17/14; EDD 4/25/15; loss discovered at 9w2d (showed 6w3d). Natural MC 10/04/14

BFP #3- 12/31/14- Happy Anniversary DH!- EDD 9/7/15

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I dont think its weird to put those things on your registry. My insurance was a pain in the butt and a misinformed insurance rep told me it was not covered. (This was after i had spent hours on the phone with them being transfered around and put on hold). I ended up using this free BRU service that desls with your insurance company and gets you the pump. So yes, my pump was totally free to me despite what the insurance rep had told me.

N14 mommy to be :)

My favorites: husband, chocolate.

• Insurance covers part of the rented cost if I were to choose to rent one from the hospital. I just don't think I use a rented one that's had God-knows how many women's breast milk in those tubes and all. Yuck! 

I am having a girl, so everyone tells me that I will get clothes and nothing from my registry, so if I get enough outfits to return...maybe I could buy the pump and other more necessary items from our registry. :)
    My insurance covered the entire cost of my Medela PISA.  I got the one that comes in the tote bag.  FTM and waiting for baby to arrive so I haven't used it yet, but have heard many good reviews from coworkers.  For anyone looking into renting a pump just FYI you are only renting the pump (motor part) and you will either have to buy or they will supply you with your own kit to use that has brand new tubing, breast shields, bottles, etc.  The hospital grade pumps are made to have multiple users and there is no cross contamination.  Hope that helps :)
  • If your insurance doesn't cover a pump or the one you want I see nothing wrong with registering for it, nipple creams, breast feeding supplies, etc.  Maybe people won't purchase those items for you but you can use your registry completion discount to help bring down the costs, and people will probably get you gift cards or things that you'll want to return anyways.  I used an amazing service through babies r'us (see link below) that dealt with my insurance for me.  It was easy, free, and I had my breast pump in less than a week.  All I needed was a prescription from my OB which they were more than happy to provide.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"