C-sections
Options

Any c-section moms with IBS?

Hi ladies! Any moms out there who have IBS and have opted for a c-section instead of a vaginal birth? I have a very severe version of IBS that requires constant and multiple interventions to keep me out of the hospital. Stress and any issues with my digestive tract typically trigger my attacks, which are extreme and debilitating. Because of this, I feel a lot more confident in scheduling what my OB considers an elective c-section. I am very certain based on past medical experiences that the stress of labor (mental and physical) will result in an attack that leaves me unable to push and ends in an emergency c-section anyway. My GI dr agreed that for me, a scheduled c-section might be a better way to go despite the fact that I'll have to work a little harder to get my digestive tract up and running afterwards. My OB said that, while she always recommends a vaginal delivery for someone my age with no obstetric indicators for c-section, if I choose to do it she is fine with that. Would love to hear of any of you have experience with this type of situation!

Re: Any c-section moms with IBS?

• Options
    Hi! I have Crohn's Disease, with a history of vaginal fistulas. Pushing during labor could cause a healed fistula to rupture, with potentially life-threatening complications. Because of this, I had a c-section for both of my pregnancies. DD1 actually came 6 days before her scheduled CS date, but there were no issues. My water broke, I went off to the hospital, and had the surgery quickly and easily. No issues with either recovery. Make the decision that is best for you and your LO after consulting with your doctors. Good luck!
  • Options
    I also have Crohn's with the same issues as pp. I am preparing for my second c-section in a few weeks. I would do what you and your doctor feel comfortable. In some respects, I felt a little down that I couldn't go through the birthing experience but I wanted to make sure that I did what was best for me and the baby as well as future children. In addition, multiple GIs and my Ob-gyn all told me to expect a c-section so I went into pregnancy with that awareness. I had a bit of a flare-up when I had the first c-section and then also after but I was able to get it under control within a few months with medication. I'm sure though that I would most likely have had a flare-up irrespective of having a c-section or not. I have been working with the doctors this pregnancy to ensure that I stay healthy for the this birth! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! My GI and I both feel it's very likely I will experience a flare up during labor so I have decided to go with the c section. My OB would rather I give natural birth a try and then proceed to c section once I have an IBS attack but I don't want to go through both and she agreed that it wouldn't be good for the baby if I did. I've only been with her a year so she doesn't know my medical history the way my GI does.
  • Options
    Hi!!! I have Crohn's disease and have had 3 abdominal surgeries as well as been on numerous meds, low nutrients, weight gain, etc. I am a FTM and 38 weeks 5 days pregnant. I was just informed yesterday actually that my ob/gyn doctors are recommending a c-section because of a strong possibility of shoulder dystocia. They would have liked me to go vaginally because it would mean less scarring where all of my other abdominal scars are, but they strongly recommended a c-section due to complications. I have to have it during the day so that way a surgeon is on hand just in case there are any issues. Not the way I wanted to go, but my son's health is most important.
  • Options
    I have crohns and with poor healing I am hoping not to have a section. But baby is currently breech (36 weeks tomorrow) and ultrasound scheduled on Tuesday afternoon. Fingers crossed she turned!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"