Trouble TTC

Newbie intro

Hi there!

A little about me. I am 26 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS in 2010. My S/O and I have been together for 11 years and have been TTC #1 for about 9 months. We had previously TTC for 8 months in 2012 but took a break for some life issues we needed to get under control. During our TTC break I have been on metformin consistently, had an ultrasound to see if I have cysts on my ovaries (I did not in 2012), and have lost 75lbs through diet and exercise. I have used OPKs and charted my BBT during our TTC journey. My S/O has had an SA done and has a slight motility issue, but excellent count. We are waiting for the most current SA to come back and I have an appointment with an RE later this month to talk about next steps.

I know all offices are different, but I would love to hear how your appointment with your RE went (if you had one) and any tests that were ordered or you've had. I'm nervous and stressed about seeing the RE as none of the appointments or tests are covered under my insurance.

Me (26) Him (27)
Dx PCOS November 2010
21 cycles TTC
HSG April 2015 - all clear!
May 2015 - 5 mg Femara cycle days 3-7 BFN
June 2015 - 7.5 mg Femara cycle days 3-7 BFN

Re: Newbie intro

• Welcome and congrats on your weight loss!   The first appointment at the RE is usually ordering a lot of tests and getting your history.  They will probably give you a vaginal ultrasound that day, even if you are on your period.

You'll be scheduled for an HSG, where they inject dye into your uterus and do a special ultrasound to look for physical anomalies.  Lots of bloodwork to check for thyroid issues, estrogen, etc.   The SA will be looked into as well.

If you've been temping, bring your charts with you, a good RE will be interested in them.    Then the RE will talk about potential options that will be made available to you once your results are in.  Those options are usually medications, IUI, and/or IVF... although timed intercourse with medication is available as well.   Stick around and let us know how it went!

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Yup. All of the above. It's expensive too. Hopefully your insurance will cover your lab work at least. Mine covers my labs and the monitoring ultrasounds. Some of the meds are covered as well, but none of the expensive injectables. Make sure you get an estimate - a good REs office will be able to tell you upfront how much it's going to cost. the testing seems endless, but it's essential so you don't waste money on treatments that won't work. Congrats on your weight loss and welcome.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello and welcome! PCOS here, too. Good luck with your first appointment. I don't remember a lot about mine, but I know that I was brought into the office of my RE and spoke with him for a while. I had several tests done at my OB/GYN when my PCOS was diagnosed and I brought a copy of all of that to show him, along with printouts of my charts. My insurance didn't cover any of this stuff then, but our RE's office offers discounted prices for different things for people who are paying upfront (doctor's visit, nurse visit, ultrasound, bloodwork, etc.). I asked what the individual prices were when I first started going there, just to have an idea for cycle monitoring etc. They understand and work with a lot of people without insurance coverage for IF treatment, and make sure you are aware of the cost.
    Baby Boy Due December 29th!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"