July 2015 Moms

cold turkey

Before I got pregnant, I smoked cigarettes, drank, all of that stuff pretty regularly. Cigs everyday. The moment I saw that plus sign I wanted nothing to do with any of it. I threw my pack of cigarettes away and haven't wanted one since. All my friends are sooo amazed that I did it cold turkey like that but I have no desire for any of it. I am nervous that after I have the baby I could fall back into it. No one will smoke around my baby and I will be very firm with that, but that doesn't mean when I'm not around baby I won't have a craving. Anyone else drop their bad habits like that or any mommies who went thru the same thing and stayed strong after the baby was born??

Re: cold turkey

• I was also a smoker, it started when I was a waitress and carried into my early 20's. I always wanted to quit, but I DID enjoy it. I know it sounds crazy (especially for those who have never smoked). It was my alone time, step outside, relax... But I hated the way it smelled, my clothes, my car, even other smokers! I quit the day I found out I was pregnant (Nov 14th) the first week was tough, because it was a habit! But actually my headaches went away, I felt better and I was so happy that I wasn't harming my baby. The only time I ever even think about a cigarette is if I'm around someone who is smoking. Like if I walk out of a restraunt or along the sidewalk in the city. I want one because it's a habit to pick one up and light it. As soon as I'm passed them or away from them it's over. A lot of people have asked me if I'm going to pick it back up and I honestly don't think I will. The smell is unbelievable! And I don't want my baby to think I smell like an ashtray. My mother was a smoker and that's her smell to me. I would never want that for my baby. And my husband hates it!!!! He always makes remarks about how good I smell now and he's so happy I quit! I think you'll be fine! It was important enough for you to quit now, it'll probably be just as important to you after baby is born!
  • Let me just say I admire both u ladies so much for quitting for your babies! That is wonderful! I have never smoked but I can understand how hard it must be to quit! Great job momma's! Your babies will be healthier and happier for it!
  • Loading the player...
  • I quit smoking in July the day I went off birth control. I don't miss it at all!!! It was really hard because it was a regular thing and yes I did enjoy it so much. Def the alone time. Or just enjoying one after a hard days work or just mopping the floor. I hope we all stick to it after our babies are born :) it's a disgusting habit and way too expensive
  • Yes, congratulations on quitting. You've made such an important decision for you and your baby. Way to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"