March 2015 Moms
Options

Puppp (pep) remedies

I'm trying to avoid induction and steroids. What have you ladies used that gave you any relief? The internet recommended "grandpas pine tar soap", i can't tell if it's helping yet or not though. Please give me your remedies. Thanks.

Re: Puppp (pep) remedies

• Options
    That's what my sister used! She never had to be induced
  • Options
    The thing that worked best for me was just to avoid any soap at all in the shower. It seems so simple but I can't believe how much it helped. My doc also said to try Benadryl cream.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I literally had no solution except birth. But i didnt get induced...maybe because my daughter came at 38 weeks. Definitely take luke warm showers and try some gold bond anti itch lotion. Scent free soaps/detergents
  • Options
    A fellow PUPP sufferer. I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you as I'm days away from scratching myself down to blood and bone and desperately seeking one myself.

Things that I have found helpful are:
    - Aqueous cream with menthol (cools the area and kind of numbs you for a while)
    - Lukewarm oatmeal bath
    - Pressing cold flannels on the area
    - Being out in the fresh air
    - Not wearing clothes to bed
    - Antihistimines (they only seem to have any effect during the day)

These things only seem to help in the short term, I am yet to find a miracle cure! I have ordered some of Grandpa's pine soap and am pinning all of my hopes on it.

I too am trying to avoid induction as I am terrified of baby coming out before he is ready. This may well be happening at 40 weeks anyway as I am a gestational diabetic but I am just praying for a slightly early, natural birth.

Can I ask, is your rash located in just one area? My rash began around the stretch marks on my lower abdomen but the itching has spread all over my body and become unbearable.

Hope you're all doing okay with this- it truly is miserable but at least our babies aren't affected xxxx
  • Options
    emsillick said:

A fellow PUPP sufferer. I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you as I'm days away from scratching myself down to blood and bone and desperately seeking one myself.

Things that I have found helpful are:
    - Aqueous cream with menthol (cools the area and kind of numbs you for a while)
    - Lukewarm oatmeal bath
    - Pressing cold flannels on the area
    - Being out in the fresh air
    - Not wearing clothes to bed
    - Antihistimines (they only seem to have any effect during the day)

These things only seem to help in the short term, I am yet to find a miracle cure! I have ordered some of Grandpa's pine soap and am pinning all of my hopes on it.

I too am trying to avoid induction as I am terrified of baby coming out before he is ready. This may well be happening at 40 weeks anyway as I am a gestational diabetic but I am just praying for a slightly early, natural birth.

Can I ask, is your rash located in just one area? My rash began around the stretch marks on my lower abdomen but the itching has spread all over my body and become unbearable.

Hope you're all doing okay with this- it truly is miserable but at least our babies aren't affected xxxx

It started on my stretch marks too. I noticed it on Tuesday ( at 37 weeks) it's now on my stomach and arms, but it's spreading to my ankles and feet. A and D ointment seems to help soothe it for an hour or so. And I think the soap is helping. I'm only sleeping a couple of hours at best before it wakes me. A few people have told me that drinking v8 juice helped, I'm starting to chug that today. I'm also praying for a natural birth to come "early". I'm so sorry you are dealing with this and GD. Good luck to you and your little one.
  • Options
    Fellow sufferer as well. It is by far the worst, and I don't wish it upon anyone! The grandpas pine tar soap did help for me. It at least kept the itch down for 3/4 hours. I recommend lathering it on, letting it dry to a film on your skin, then rinsing it off. And do that like 2 times before you're out of the shower. That helped me short term. Also like 3 oatmeal baths a day.

This stupid rash seriously took up all my time just tryin to treat it :/ good luck!

Oh and oatmeal (colloidal) lotion!
  • Options
    @littlepawsbigears Thank you- hope you manage to clear it up. Let me know how if the V8 juice helps. I'll be sending my SO out for some of this, I'm literally at the stage where I will try anything.

It's miserable not even being able to enjoy a hot bath or shower anymore. I get really cold at night because having the heating on, wearing clothes or the duvet touching it makes my rash so much worse!

Have heard a lot of people say that the only cure is giving birth which makes me miserable. I don't think I can take another 3 weeks like this and the doctors just don't seem to realise how debilitating it is :(
  • Options
    Why would your doctor induce you for PUPP?? I suffer immensely and I would never be induced simply because I'm up all night every night itching and crying! It's not dangerous to the baby, just uncomfortable for us mamas!
    The only time they would induce for itching is when it is confirmed cholestasis...
  • Options
    I may have to be induced at 38w anyway down to Gestational Diabetes so there is another medical reason for me.

Some women are induced for PUPP because it is so agonising that they're totally stressed and exhausted before they even start and it doesn't do the baby any good for you to be in that much distress. I've been told that this can lead to awful labour, blood-pressure problems, problems breastfeeding and even post-natal depression after the birth.

I suppose it is a personal choice and you have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide what is right for you. Personally I would do anything to avoid going down the induction route but my doctor won't let me go to 40w because of the GD. I'm just praying he'll come before then when he is ready.
  • Options
    Dandelion root. Worked great for me with dd and completely cleared it up within three days. You can find it at any gnc.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Kaylin Lanelle Born 9/2012
    Rylee Amelia due March 5, 2015

For SuzyQ

• Options
    Wow! Did you eat/drink it or literally apply it to the rash?
  • Options
    I use a combination of pine tar soap, aloe after a shower, and anti itch cream made by gold bond with menthol in it. I did end up taking steroids which helped temporarily and made the rash better, but I still have it. Sorry to anyone else suffering. It is absolutely miserable.
  • Options
    Dandelion root is in a pill. I took two a day. Got the ok from my ob.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Kaylin Lanelle Born 9/2012
    Rylee Amelia due March 5, 2015

For SuzyQ

• Options
    I'm seeing my GP again tomorrow as the rash has spread all over my body and is worsening.

One thing that has helped more than anything else is Manuka honey mixed with aqueous cream. My mother in law recommended it and it has been the best remedy so far in terms of curbing the itch.

Hope none of you are suffering too much with this :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"