Natural Birth

FTM doing Home Birth?

edited February 2015 in Natural Birth
Hey ladies,

Curious if any of you did a home birth for your first babe, or had friends/family who did.

I'm looking at research from everything from ACOG to various UK sources so I have all the numbers, but would really appreciate hearing anecdotal experiences as well.

Thanks a ton!

Re: FTM doing Home Birth?

• I have 3 personal friends who had home births for their first baby. All of them had complication free births.

I know at least two of them hired a birthing pool. Not sure about the 3rd. 
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Good for you OP I'd love a home birth but our current house isn't suitable - maybe next time! What's your due month? I'd love to know how you find it... I've also heard getting a birth pool can help a lot, too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Good for you OP I'd love a home birth but our current house isn't suitable - maybe next time! What's your due month? I'd love to know how you find it... I've also heard getting a birth pool can help a lot, too.

My husband and I are actually about to TTC :)  But I can definitely update :)
  • edited February 2015
    smeame14 said:

I know of one person who was transportex by ambulance. Something happened to the placenta (don't remember what she called it)......it was very scary. They both were fine in the end, but too risky for me.

Interesting that they didn't catch a placenta abnormality early on?

Glad to hear they were fine :)
  • I'm considering home birth for my first as well. Hope you find some good info! I'm struggling with finding advice as it's not at all popular in my area.
  • WDDCHWDDCH member
    I didn't with my first. But I did with my fifth and am currently planning one for #6. I wish I had done homebirth from the first baby and every baby I've had. No reason a low-risk FTM can't plan for one.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've had both of mine at home. Planning on this current one to be born at home too.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

• I had my first at home. I am due with LO#2 in August and am seeing the same HB midwife that delivered my first.
  • I had my first babe at home.  #2 is due next month and we are planning another home birth.  We had such a quiet, peaceful & perfect (in my opinion) birth, I cannot imagine doing it any other way. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • elizalegselizalegs member
    edited March 2015
    smeame14 said:

antoto said:

smeame14 said:

I know of one person who was transportex by ambulance. Something happened to the placenta (don't remember what she called it)......it was very scary. They both were fine in the end, but too risky for me.

Interesting that they didn't catch a placenta abnormality early on?

Glad to hear they were fine :)
    Me too, but I guess things happen.
    this likely was a placental abruption which would have been difficult if not near impossible to predict - it's very rare and very scary indeed. These are good questions/"what if" scenarios to ask your midwife prior to making your choice.
  • I had hb with second and will with 3rd again in Nov. Wont do it any other way. Much safer than hosp since there are many unnecessary interventions leading to complications in hosp (as was the case with my first in hosp.)
  • I am a FTM and I am planning a home birth. I've had several friends who have had both hospital and home births in my area. Most have preferred their homebirth experience to the hospital. Also, I want a water birth, and the hospital will not allow women to give birth in a tub; they will only allow women to labor in them.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • I had my first at home. It was a big choice and I spent a lot of time researching and preparing with my husband. We had number 2 at home also, and number 3 in my belly will be born at home as well. I have many friends that had their first at a birth centre, or a hospital, but then went on to have subsequent babies at home. They have all said they wish they would have just had a home birth from the start and not have been afraid because they were new mothers.

Good luck on your decision! 
  • I'm a FTM in the UK and planning on a home water birth. We live 1 mile from the hospital which I find reassuring in the event that I need to go. I decided on a home birth after reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I like the idea of being relaxed at home and free to move around, eat and drink as I wish and the privacy aspect as well.

• I delivered our first child 4 months ago in a birth house assisted by a great midwife team. Home birth is illegal in our state so that's why we were in a birth house instead. My husband and I both feel like it was the best decision we ever made and are so glad we didn't listen to everyone's negativity while I was pregnant. 

I'll be honest, I had a few doubts during pregnancy. All of the "what if something happens?" ran through my mind but ultimately we decided that we wanted to make the decision of where to birth our baby from a place of love, not fear of the rare statistics. Her birth was not complication free, nor was it extremely easy. I feel certain that I would have had a cesarean if I were in a hospital because of how long the labor lasted, my unusual labor pattern, and the crazy positions I had to be in to get her to move past my low public bone. Her vitals were perfect the whole time and our birth was beautiful! But I think it's important to know that home birth is not just for quick, easy deliveries. Our midwives were prepared for an emergency situation and we trust them. It was not the awful "I can't handle this" pain I expected (I truly believe because I was so relaxed) and I have never felt closer to my amazing husband than the moment he handed me our baby girl. He had the opportunity to catch her and be the first thing she ever saw in this world, and our midwives were so great at stepping aside and allowing us to parent from the very first moments. I absolutely love sharing her birth story and hope to have all of our babies in the same way!
  • I had a home birth with my daughter.  I would do it again in a heart beat.  I loved my midwife and doula!!
  • SharonB222SharonB222 member
    edited June 2015
    My mom had her 1st in hospital (no complications) so had her 2nd at home. My sister planned to have her 1st at home (with ambulance standing by - her DH is 1st responder) but went into labor at 32w and her m/w suggested she go to the hospital - her LO was born (no complications) with APGAR 9! and they went home immediately, so she had her 2nd at home. I would have done home births (water births) except IF/RPL delayed my plans and confidence - my low risk status was not so in my mind. Thankfully my hospital has a home-like birthing center and offers m/w deliveries so it was the best of both worlds for my situation. I labored at home for most of the time. I was at hospital for four hours before delivery of 1st. I had a retained placenta (and 4th-degree tear) which both may have been handled at home but were managed well enough at the hospital. For 2nd I labored at work most of the time (I didn't realize it was active labor). I was at hospital for two hours before delivery of 2nd. I had minor tearing with 2nd so basically complication free. Actually (embarrassed) given the m/w delivery I prefer the hospital b/c being OLD, I appreciate that I can focus on my baby for three days and the staff takes care of everything else. I suppose some folks have great support at home but my DH is clueless, my parents are that much older and require care themselves, and my friends are dispersed in the area. GL in your choice! Congrats on your pg and making wise considerations - good parenting!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.