Cloth Diapering

Residue in machine?

So we have chosen Rockin' Green for our diapers per our local CD store recommendations. But how important is it to only use CD safe detergents for regular laundry? To be quite honest, we just can't afford to use Rockin' Green for all our laundry, but I keep reading about normal detergents leaving residue in the machine? Should I worry about this? Are there more reasonably priced detergents I can use for daily laundry that will reduce any residue? 
Me & DH: 24 Married: 5/11
Started TTC: 12/12 Testing Started: 5/14
Dx: Irregular Ovulation, possible PCOS
Treatment starting July '14: Letrozole + Trigger + TI
Surprise natural BFP right before starting meds!!!!!- EDD 3/7/15

Re: Residue in machine?

• I use regular detergent for my laundry and CD safe for cloth only.  I run a rinse cycle with the CD first, then a regular cycle with the CD detergent.  I put them in the dryer on low heat but make sure there isn't a fabric softener cloth in there!

If I'm doing regular laundry around the same time, I do regular laundry, then CD, and save my whites for last and add some bleach.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• There are many that use regular detergent on all laundry, including cloth diapers. It depends on things like if you are concerned about things like diaper warranty, detergent sensitivity, and type of diapers being used. Some people use the amounts recommended for load size, some (like me) use less than the amount recommended for all loads, and some like FLCDS demand that you use mainstream detergent and in maximum amounts (line 1 of Tide in pre-wash and line 3 if using regular Tide, line 3 twice if using f&c Tide) in the main wash. This is one reason we highly recommend avoiding FLCDS.

Personally I have had problems with mainstream detergent not rinsing well, so I have moved to flats that I can wash using soap nuts or treat for detergent build-up much easier than other tyoes of diapers.

I don't use fabric softener, either liquid or dryer sheets, so I don't know how/if use on other laundry impacts diapers.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Loading the player...
  • I use Tide liquid detergent (the regular kind) for my laundry, and Original tide powder (about half way to the first line) for my CD's.  Pretty simple since I lucked out with no one in the family having any skin sensitivity issues.  I don't have trouble with residue, though do use RLR about once a month or so on the CD's if I have any absorbency concernes.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"