November 2015 Moms

Metformin

hi everyone! Im sharing something I recently learned about. After having a miscarriage about five weeks in last November. Good news is we're pregnant again! What I learned though is how if you have pcos (which is strange as I don't have many of the expected symptoms) and you're taking metformin (and maybe clomid) there is less of a risk of miscarriage if you continue w metformin while pregnant! I didn't know that last time. Not that I know it would have changed anything but I'm definitely staying on it this time! Wish I had known more...

Re: Metformin

• Your doc didn't put you on a low dose progesterone? Mine did right after our iui and when I tested positive I was instructed to continue taking it for 12 weeks of pregnancy. I've had patients of mine on metformin combined with clomid. I take it got don't have diabetes? Did your doc instruct you to stay on it? Just curious. I'm a doctor but not in reproduction lol
  • I was never put on progesterone with pcos. I did continue to take metformin for 12 weeks. The first time I carried full term. The second time we lost the pregnancy at 11 weeks. This time I'm doing the same.

Mommy to Andrew, Evelyn, and Isabel

• Loading the player...
  • Same here. No progesterone but definitely staying on metformin. I will post the research study I found. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3493830/
    What do you think?
  • OK so I now will change my answer. I just called my fertility Dr and she said she wants me to try progesterone this time. But it's a first for me.

• Progesterone instead of metformin? What was her rationale? My ob said to stay on metformin. But I'm still early (4weeks or so) so haven't had my first appt yet
  • Both. 1500mg. Metformin and progesterone suppository at night.

• I haven't had an appointment either. I actually was having my first RE. Appointment on tuesday to restart treatment after our loss back in oct. So I called her today and said I got a BFP and she said to continue the met. And she was calling me in a script for progesterone and to come in for blood work on Monday.

• Sorry for your recent loss. I too went through that around the first time. So doing whatever I can to make this time around happen! Best of luck and good wishes to you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"