March 2015 Moms
Options

How noticeable are your contractions?

Just out of curiosity, how strong/obvious have your contractions been? I know for some women they're unmistakeable and incredibly painful and others don't even feel them.

I've had some fairly mild cramping all the way through the second half of my pregnancy and over the last couple of days this has got more frequent and happens every few hours or so. Feels like a menstrual cramp, kind of knocks the wind out of me and tightens around my stomach a bit. Some are quite painful and I have to move around/lie down and others I barely feel.

Interested to know how this compares with other BH or real labour contractions. I'm 36.5 weeks.

Re: How noticeable are your contractions?

• Options
    I'm 37 weeks and I never notice contractions. Sometimes I can feel that my stomach is tight, but I don't notice it unless I'm touching my stomach. I'm nervous that this means that labor is going to be extra hard for me. Meh
    Pregnancy Ticker
    For SuzyQ and all the M15 losses

• Options
    I will be 38 weeks tomorrow and I have been having contractions non-stop for the past 3 days now. At first I hardly noticed them but as time is going on they are getting stronger. Some more so then others.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You might want to put a call into your ob. Mine always tells me if contractions take the wind out of me that I need to call her and go to l&d
  • Options

I'm 37 weeks and I never notice contractions. Sometimes I can feel that my stomach is tight, but I don't notice it unless I'm touching my stomach. I'm nervous that this means that labor is going to be extra hard for me. Meh

I am the same exact way... I'm 38 weeks tomorrow and feel like I haven't had many symptoms of labor at all. Today I felt off and at my appt doc told me I was still locked up tight... I'm thinking she may be a stubborn one!!!
  • Options
    My BH make me feel like I can't breath... Like I have a super tight corset on all the sudden. They've been that way since like the beginning of second trimester. They aren't real.

With my first i thought at first my real contractions were just some really intense Braxton hicks. But they progressed quickly and eventually (within 40 minutes of the first one that felt like a strong BH) had me in tears and I couldn't talk when one came on. I also would hold my breath they were so strong.. (Which lead to oxygen deprivation that caused me to loose feeling in my face and arms... So much so that I couldn't talk or open my hands. I had to have a oxygen mask for awhile.. So don't hold your breath! Lol) .. My first was born in 5.5 hours and my contractions started at about 3 minutes apart.

So... Moral of the story... Even if you miss the first while of contractions ... Thinking they are BHs, I think you will FEEL THEM before too long and with enough time to get to where you need to be.
  • Options
    I went to the doc Monday for my appointment. When she did the cervical check she said I was 60 percent effaced and 3 1/2 cm dialated. Since my baby is still breech and I've had heart problems she doesn't want him to start coming to soon so she sent me to the hospital to check if I was having contractions. They hooked me up and measured them for an hour and a half. She said I had 6 in that time when I didn't think I'd had any.
  • Options
    I go to the OB tomorrow...37 weeks 4 days... I have had a tough week with contractions but I've noticed that they are getting stronger. When I have one it will just knock the wind out of me and if I'm standing I immediately need to stop and grab something... I teach 4th grade so I notice when I haven't sat down in a while I start getting them. But they are becoming more frequent at night... I might get 2-2.5 hrs of sleep before a strand starts... And just when you think it's time to call L&D they stop... My LO is having a funny way of showing who is in charge :)
  • Options
    Since I got my first cervical exam at 38 and 3 days (the doctor said that I am sealed tight :( and he doesn't think I'll be in labor any time soon) but since then I have been getting what I think are Braxton's but with cramping on my pelvic area, and sometimes they move to my back. On Thursday I woke up around 2am with these pains and I timed them and they were 10 mins apart for 3 hours. I drank water and this would make the next contraction come after 20 minutes but the pattern would start all over with "contractions" every 10 mins. I am a FTM and I don't know what is going on. I didn't call or went to see my doc because I know they'll send me home or tell me to call or go in when my water brakes or the contractions are 5 mins apart for an hour. What do you guys think it's going on. Some of my friends say that this might be preterm labor, but they have stopped or come just once in a while. When I walk outdoor or on the treadmill I do get bad cramps. I should say that I have exercise this entire pregnancy so my body is used to it but if get these cramps now a days. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    @marthagarcia
    I'm not a doctor but I have been hearing that some people with no signs whatsoever of labour can go into a full blown labour from one hour to another...
    Maybe that could be you? At the end of the day you are 38 weeks :)

Other people stay dilating and with contractions for weeks!
  • Options
    Thank you!! I know my due date is next Saturday! So hopefully baby gets here to meet his traveling grandparents that are coming for two weeks to visit us in Italy!
  • Options
    My contractions have been getting progressively worse over the last couple of weeks. Feel more like menstrual cramps than anything else, but do make me feel like it's hard to breathe sometimes. It also depends on how full my bladder is at the time-- sometimes that is the most uncomfortable part! But I am waiting for the "can't talk or walk with them" kind of contractions that indicate that it's active labor since I can't count on frequency or length as a reliable indicator (got them every 1-3 minutes lasting 50+ seconds each when I was monitored for preterm labor, and that seems to be the norm for me when they start up again). Personally, I just hope my water breaks so that I'll know for sure. Pain is such a subjective indicator!
  • Options
    This is what is happening to me too! I'm praying for my water to break because my contractions and nasty cramping are every 2-5 min. The cramping is getting worse though.
  • Options
    Me too! I'm having a hard time distinguishing when they start and stop. They are getting more intense and like bad menstrual cramps and started noticing more back pain. It's so hard to determine if they're the real deal because I'm used to back pain with my scoliosis. I also think I have a higher pain threshold since I'm uncomfortable more often then not. Everyone experiences labor so differently, and I'm worried I won't take them seriously enough until I'm about ready to start pushing!!! I read a comment somewhere where the girl said she didn't truly experience bad pain until she was 9 to 10cm dilated!
  • Options
    I went into L&D Thursday night because of contractions. I hadn't had a cervical exam at my OB so when they checked me I was dilated to a 4. The contractions weren't horribly painful just enough to make my stomach tighten and I wanted to be safe than sorry with bad weather coming in and this is my 3rd child. They said that I could be a 4 for a few hours or for a few weeks. I'm scheduled for induction next Thursday. I can say with my last pregnancy the contractions didn't get unbearable until I dilated past 5 and when that happened I delivered in 45 minutes. Each pregnancy is different. If it's your first, it's ok to be nervous about what to expect and how your body feels. I will tell you that real contractions come from your back across your belly like you need to take a really poop (and some women do poop while delivering baby). Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm 38 wks 3 days and have had constant BH for weeks now, but am still locked up tight down there according to my doc last Tuesday.. I have woken up the last several nights with cramping that made me hold my breath and get pretty uncomfortable.. But then I also seem to have awful gas pains out of nowhere?? I'm so confused as to what it'll be like when I actually go into labor, because right now anytime I get excited or hopeful about the possibility of progressive contractions it ends up just being gastro issues! Lol not cool!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"