August 2015 Moms
Options

Anxiety and/or panic attacks

Hi, guys! I'm a FTM and have been struggling with anxiety/panic attacks my whole life. Luckily, I haven't had any panic attacks while pregnant, but I find that my anxiety is high since it's connected to travel and how my body feels. How do you all deal with anxiety? I am not on meds and haven't been because I want to learn to cope with my emotions and to grow away from my anxiety. Any tips or tricks?

Ps my doctor isn't worried about it because it isn't severe. Mostly annoying, but sometimes debilitating.

Re: Anxiety and/or panic attacks

• Options
    I'd say find an activity that calms you, like reading or yoga, or something and make sure to put aside an hour a day for it. Avoid junk food, it really does change the chemicals of your body. The obvious answer is to find a good counselor you connect with that specializes in such things...
    And focus on the wonderful, amazing parts of pregnancy that occur perfectly while we sit on our butts! Really, we're growing a cognitive person and we don't have to do anything but eat!
  • Options
    I have been recommended to find a counselor, but I haven't since it's not covered by my insurance. I heard yoga helps a lot, but I was worried about doing it for the first time while pregnant. My anxiety isn't attached to my little nugget, though. It's from not learning to deal with stress growing up, is what I'm told at least. I have been eating much healthier and can tell a difference. It's just I get overwhelmed with it sometimes and I don't know how to deal then. :-/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can relate- I have had anxiety/panic attacks for a good portion of my life- was on Xanax and propranolol for years and went off when I became pregnant with my first- luckily my sister is a psychologists and has helped me cope without the need for medication- breathing techniques and meditation has helped a ton, eating clean and frequent exercise (running) also helps tremendously - I do other things but kind of long examples of things we have been working towards- hope you find relief!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I think I may just need to invest in seeing a counselor every week or every other week. I know it would help. They are just so expensive.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I suffer from depression, anxiety and PTSD. at 6 weeks I switched the antidepressant I was on to one I felt more comfortable taking while pregnant. I was going to come off of it completely but My doctor brought up a very good point...if the mommy isn't stable with her health the baby wont be. I also go to therapy still which helps with my anxiety. I always find that if  feel an attack coming on, I  put on music that makes me happy. or I watch a stand up , or take a walk. hot showers work well too. remember this is just me. :)
    Always hold on to hope ❤
  • Options
    I had panic attacks as a teen/young adult, and honestly, just being aware that its a panic attack was what stopped them for me. I literally just thought to myself hey, why am I panicking right now? And it worked, instead of focusing on the fact that my body felt out of control, I tried to ascertain what the problem was and decide a course of action from there.
    Be the Change.
    Make no assumptions
    Take nothing personally
    Be impeccable with your word
    Do your best

• Options
    I see a therapist and exercise. It has helped manage anxiety levels and worry. Also, just focusing on all the positives in life.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"