January 2015 Moms

Supplementing

Looking for advice. I am breastfeeding and started supplementing two feedings per day with formula so the transition would be easy when I go back to work.. Well we tried similac for supplementation and my poor girl has been up all night since then with belly/gas pains. I have used gripe water, gas drops and tummy calm and they work but only briefly, can anyone recommend formula they have used for babies with extremely sensitive tummies?

Re: Supplementing

• This should be a question for your pediatrician.

dx:  Unexplained IF
     TTC since May 2011, 1 year trying, and then 3 TI, 2 IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 (May 2013):  Antagonist Protocol: 
    24R, 18M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 2 early blasts, no frosties = BFN
    IVF #2 (August 2013):  Lupron Stop Protocol: 
    28R, 23M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 1 partially hatched blast, 7 frosties = BFP
    EDD 5/23/14, blighted ovum (6w6d), D&C (8w6d)
    FET #1 (April 2014):  transferred 2 5d blasts = BFP
    C.J. born 01/09/15

• I talked to her about it and she said it's more of a personal preference that gas is perfectly normal when making a change
  • Loading the player...
  • I've heard good things about the gerber gentle (it's supposed to be the closest thing to breastmilk) but haven't used it myself. I'll be making the switch from breastmilk to formula soon myself in preparation of returning to work, so I'll let you know if I find something that works. Unfortunately, I think it'll be trial and error with what works for each baby.
  • I started out with the similac as well and it was really harsh on my little girls belly so I switched to the enfamil supplementing formula and it seems to be better for her. A lot of moms on the Internet seem to agree with similac being a little harsher.
  • I'm breastfeeding also but due to my low milk supply my son's pediatrician gave me enfamil supplementing formula samples to use. He did really well on it. But I couldn't find any at a couple of stores I tried so I switched to similac supplementing. He's doing ok but tends to spit up on this one. So I'll definitely be switching back to enfamil. And I agree that similac is harsher. Also, his pediatrician recommend that enfamil is normally better than gerber. But I guess that's all personal preference.
  • I am using similac for supplementation, we only give formula occasionally. Enfamil made my babies spit up really bad, but this seems to do fine. I read that the supplementation formula is supposed to be best for babies who are used to BM. Its really gentle on their tummies.
    *loss and BFP mentioned*
    Me: Endo & No Tubes 
    DH: perfect!
    IVF#1 (Sept 2013) Long Lupron Protocol
               17 retrieved, 15 fert, 1 perfect blast trans, 10 frozen
                BFP--Ended-- Blighted Ovum
    FET#2 Tentative Sched: Start meds CD1=Feb 1, ET= Feb 19-20
              One Grade 4AA Blast transferred, 5dpt- BFP HPT, 6dpt- line darker
              Beta #1- 50, Beta #2- 30
              BFN- Chemical preg
    FET#3 CD1-4/11, start Injections on CD13, ET scheduled- 4/29
             CD12 u/s & bw- Lining 8.7, estrogen 335, cleared for ET in one week!
             CD19 ET- Two Grade 4AA Blast transferred one with assisted hatching
             4dpt- POAS = BFP!....POAS everyday after = DARKER! FX!
             Beta #1- 703!  Beta #2- 4,004! 
             First U/S, 5wk0d- TWO gest sacs, Both with yolk sacs and a fetal pole both measuring 3d ahead!
    ((Thank you LORD, praying these LO grow, grow, grow!)) 
    **Due date Jan 14th- Boy/Girl twins**

imageimage

• I do know that Similac makes a formula that is for sensitive tummies. It's in a green package.
  • My lil one had the exact same problems. We switched to similar for sensitivity. It has helped some much her reflux was horrible. Have your lil one sit up about 30 mins after feedings and elevate when sleeping. Hope it helps
  • Nan1 is good or not?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"