Babies on the Brain
Options

Prep tips for moms-to-be

bumptarabumptara admin
edited January 2016 in Babies on the Brain
Did you know that sex during the three days before ovulation gives you the best chance of conception? That’s just one of the (many!) ways to up your baby-making odds.

Share your own tips with other Bumpies below!

P.S. Let's take our friendship to the next level. Like us on Facebook

Re: Prep tips for moms-to-be

• Options
    I am new here and this is my first time posting. My husband and I have been TTC since January. I am using 2 phone apps and I have regular periods. I am quickly becoming more impatient and disappointed with every negative test. I even went out and got an ovulation test that I took today because according to my phone apps, I am in my fertile window... ovulation test result was a no. If you have any advice or tips, please fill me in! 
  • Options

I am new here and this is my first time posting. My husband and I have been TTC since January. I am using 2 phone apps and I have regular periods. I am quickly becoming more impatient and disappointed with every negative test. I even went out and got an ovulation test that I took today because according to my phone apps, I am in my fertile window... ovulation test result was a no. If you have any advice or tips, please fill me in! 
    Phone apps guess your ovulation based on the length of your cycle. To get a better and more accurate understanding of your cycle and when you ovulate you need to be temping. Many people on TB suggest using Fertility Friend (FF) a free phone app that stores and graphs your data for numerous indicators of ovulation including body temperature. It is important to take your temp around the same time every day to also get a more accurate reading. FF has an intro demo that will also help you understand how it all works. Also, it can take a fertile couple up to a year to get pregnant before they should see a doctor, so don't be too quick to get discouraged. A book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" has been suggested to many people starting out as well. I wish you the best in your TTC journey. 
    Anniversary
    Me (29) + DH (30) | Dating 2003 | Married 2008
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you. I just do not understand why I am not getting a yes on the ovulation tests. My fertile window is now almost over. I started taking the tests 8 days after the last date of my period and have tested every day up until today. I followed all the instructions so I am kind of confused as to how I would have possibly missed it, or if the tests just aren't working? Any one else have this happen to them?
  • Options
    My fertile window is nowhere near where the app told me it should be. How long have you been using the app and which one are you using?
  • Options

Thank you. I just do not understand why I am not getting a yes on the ovulation tests. My fertile window is now almost over. I started taking the tests 8 days after the last date of my period and have tested every day up until today. I followed all the instructions so I am kind of confused as to how I would have possibly missed it, or if the tests just aren't working? Any one else have this happen to them?

This happened to me in this current cycle. The OPK was negative; however, an ultrasound yesterday revealed that I did ovulate.

My RE said the OPK didn't pick it up and that happens sometimes.
    Believing the Lord will do it.

• Options
    I bought the clear blue ovulation tests and it instructed me to start the tests on the 5th day of my period... I got a positive result on the 3 day I started my tests. I did that amd got pregnant in just three short months. Try that :)
  • Options
    Which pregnancy apps are you using? I use OVIA and and Glow. Both apps have been changing my window as I log more information into them. 

**Triggers**

Me: 32  DH: 35  Married 10/4/14

TTC  #1 May 2015 BFP: July 21, 2015  Stillborn January 8, 2016

TTC #2 April 2016 BFP: June 17, 2016

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Girl Shih-Tzu and Baby Boy Boston are my furbabies

• Options
    Good luck!

**Triggers**

Me: 32  DH: 35  Married 10/4/14

TTC  #1 May 2015 BFP: July 21, 2015  Stillborn January 8, 2016

TTC #2 April 2016 BFP: June 17, 2016

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Girl Shih-Tzu and Baby Boy Boston are my furbabies

• Options
    Start temping and charting. There's a Trying to Conceive board with tons of good information, and really knowledgeable ladies. You should check it out. Make sure to read guidelines and older posts, too. Oh, and the search tool.

Good luck!
  • Options
    We used the Kindara app and loved it! The women are so supportive and the app is great
  • Options
    I just started reading the book Taking charge of your fertility and after just one cycle I already knew exactly when I ovulated based on CM (cervicL mucus) it's a great book to take you through learning about your cycles and body and understanding when your fertile also it talks about charting and takes you through each way to chart and it's a great book also it pretty long and will help while your waiting to try or for that BFP if you have already started trying
  • Options
    Another great book is "The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant".  It's a great read, plus it has a lot of valuable advice for women who are trying to conceive.  I've been using Fertility Friend, and at first I thought that taking my BBT would be tedious and unnecessary.  But I'm so glad that I started temping!  I found out that I ovulate later in my cycle than I originally thought.  I had used OPKs for the first time this cycle (Wondfo strips) and I know that I ovulated (because of my temp. rise), but not once did I get a positive OPK. 
  • Options
    I also agree with temping. Using an app alone will not help you determine your ovulation. The women on the trying to get pregnant board use the fertility friend app to record their temps in the morning, cervical position and cervical mucus. These are the main signs of fertility. Entering in all that information into FF will help determine your ovulation day. You might not O the same time every month that is why it is important to not base your fertility because an app said you are Oing. Your body is not a calendar. If you are going to begin to temp a lot of women use the Mabis thermometer from Amazon and temp at the exact same time everyday of the week. Many women in the TTGP board temp anywhere between 3-5am and then go back to sleep until they have to get up in the morning. And using OPK's will not determine you O alone. You can have many surges throughout your cycle. The best way to determine O is by temping and seeing a temp shift. LURK THE RULES on the TTGP board and introduce yourself to the ladies. They are all very knowledgeable and will be great help to you. But please lurk first. Fx and good luck!
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• Options
    picklespleasepicklesplease member
    edited November 2015
    I started reading, "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and started temping. We hadn't started to try yet because I was just freshly off the pill and wanted to get an idea of my body's cycle. I had been on the pill since 18 and didn't even know what my cycle was "normally" for me. After a few months, I noticed that my BBT was going all over the place. I noticed some "twinges" during the time when I was supposed to be ovulating. It was when I started using Wondfo OPK strips that I noticed something was up. A trip to my OBGYN showed that I was anovulatory, but later OPKs showed that I do ovulate every so often, which led to a dx of PCOS. It gets frustrating, but I highly recommend that you start charting your BBT and CM. The book was amazing and even has an app, which I use for my BBT and CM. 

Good luck and I wish you the best! 
  • Options
    Does anyone use the Clue app?  I've read about Fertility Friend on here and have been using Clue for about a year. Wondering if I should start using FF too if I'm really getting serious about TTC.  TYIA! 

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• Options
    Sarah99887766Sarah99887766 member
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    Aaahhh ya'll are making me nervous! I used to temp pretty religiously but fell off the wagon when I started my new job almost two years ago. DH works a normal first shift (9-5) but I work second shift, so he interrupts my sleep when he gets up for work, and it was throwing my temps way off. When I WAS temping my ovulation/periods were super-duper regular, so that's a positive sign I guess....

Now my FF shows a three day window followed by three possible days of ovulation. We are planning to start TTC in two weeks so I'm hoping just tracking my periods will be enough!
    29 y/o
    Married to DH 10/2013
    TTC Baby #1 5/13/17!
  • Options
    Apps alone are not helpful for ovulation, it not a machine you are predicting for its human body that changes continuously. Other factors like temp, cervical position and many other things Good Luck!
  • Options
    My husband and I were trying for almost 5 years. I was diagnosed with infertility due to anovulatory cycles as well as a bicournate uterus. I becane so depressed and finally gave up on trying to get pregnant. Figured if it was in God's plan for me to be a mother, it would eventually happen. 3 months after giving up, i suddenly became sick. I was throwing up almost every morning around 4 am! Eventually gave in to everyone and took a test knowing it would be negative (after all, i didnt even think i ovulated! And i had sex around 3 or 4 days before my expected ovulatiin date) and boom! Extremely dark, positive test to my surprise! I am now entering my 2nd trimester with a high risk pregnancy. It will happen for you, trust me. All the fertility drugs in the world didn't help me. Finally giving up and taking all of the stress out of ttc and prayer worked for me! Praying for you!