LGBT Parenting
Options

Introducing myself

Hi there! I joined the Bump because my wife and I are finally in serious talks about having a baby this year. I've always known I would like to be the carrier, but other than that, we were just waiting for "the right time" which I think is a curse of lesbian parents because we could just overplan forever & ever. We did always say that we wanted to wait until I graduated from college before I got pregnant. I've been working toward my bachelors degree as an adult student for the past 4+ years and I'm finally in my second to last semester! 

So, here's our plan so far: We have always known that we wanted to try to find a Samoan donor. My wife is half white half Samoan (it's a little Polynesian island with beautiful people lol) so we love that the baby would have that added connection to her. We had a couple of potential donors that were friends of friends/relatives, but for one reason or another, didn't work out. 

Then, we started talking about going on a big trip this year before I graduate because we know that once we have a baby it might be a while before we travel again. My wife's sister lives in Australia, so all we would have to do is buy plane tickets and we would be set for a great vacation. Her sister also lives with a few more distant relatives in a bigger house. Many of them travel to New Zealand and Australia from Samoa for better job opportunities, etc. One of them is my wife's distant cousin who is a guy in his 20s that we met when they visited last year. I think we didn't even consider him as a viable option for a donor because he lived so far away but suddenly as we started talking about going to AU, we realized it might work. After a few back and forths with her sister, we received a message on New Year's Eve (which is also the 11 year anniversary from when we started dating) that he happily accepted! 

We hope to go to Australia in Oct/Nov of this year and attempt in-home insemination. Not only do I prefer to try to do things as naturally as possible, but I also can't imagine another option since we don't have doctors in AU. If I DO get pregnant on the trip, I would finish my last semester in school in the Spring of 2016 and cross the stage carrying that little bundle of joy! If I don't get pregnant, that's another avenue we will need to figure out. 

Well that's our story so far. I would really love to meet other lesbians TTC and get some advice as our journey progresses. I'm not really ready to share with my friends and family that we will be TTC this Fall, so this is my only outlet. I think I'm really afraid that if we go there with everyone knowing we are trying to get pregnant and it doesn't happen or I have a miscarriage, it will be so much harder than no one knowing and then we just get to happily announce it as a surprise. 

I'm looking forward to meeting many other parents and soon-to-be parents! 

Re: Introducing myself

• Options
    Welcome! It is a bit of ghost town over here since people defected to another board.

My wife and I have nearly 9y old twin boys. We used an unknown donor (through Fairfax) and did a combination of ICIs, IUIs (unmedicated, Clomid only, and injectibles.) We did 9 cycles over 19m (took time off for finances, testing, emotional health, etc.)

Good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hi and welcome. As 2brides said, there was a recent mass defection, but a few of us ate still here and I'm hoping a new community emerges over time. Pretty exciting your plans! I hope you are one of the lucky ones and your one shot try works!
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi @MrsNicoleMG‌, I'm on the other "mass exodus" board but I still check over here to see if there is any activity. Welcome! I took several months to finally conceive my sticky pregnancy but there are certainly those who get lucky with one or two attempts. Good luck ttc!

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

• Options
    Hi @MrsNicoleMG I hope we will get another group who are TTC to check-in weekly. Might be nice for you to lurk and/or participate there. (I'm in the TTC camp too...) It's nice to see you here! I hope as your date to try gets closer that we'll have more people checking in regularly here. 
  • Options
    Hi!  I'm also still relatively new to the board, only an occasional poster, but welcome!  I hope you get lucky with your first try!  If it works, the timing seems great.  I'm also in the TTC camp.  This is our first cycle trying- took 100mg of Clomid for 5 days, had an ultrasound and trigger shot on Monday (saw 2.5-3 follicles) and went back yesterday for our first IUI and will go back later today for our second. Wishing you lots of luck with your journey!  
  • Options
    I'm new to this board. I hope it picks up because I don't know what the other board is!

We just found out we were pregnant last week. My wife and I are thrilled but really surprised. We just did 1 round of IUI with donor sperm and it took. I'm 37 and super excited to become a mama. My wife will be mommy :) we already have names picked out. We've both wanted a child since forever and are thrilled it's finally happening.

I hope this board gets lots of activity!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"