Pregnant after 35

Job Loss

Hello all, I know I've been absent for awhile. I lost my job 2 weeks ago and the cacophony of bs that comes with that is really amazing. We have a lawyer friend looking into the circumstances given the nature of how I was let go and the fact that HR was never involved given it was an "attitude problem" directed from an unknown source. The thing I really need to ask advice on is about medical care. I signed up for Medicaid through my state heathcare site and am now finding that I won't have access to appointments for another 6 to 8 weeks. I don't think it's wise for me to go without three prenatal check ups at my age and with the low thyroid issue looming over the baby. I have calls into Medicaid itself, Social Services and some random Maryland doctor's association. Is there any other resources I should look into to make sure I don't miss another appointment?
I thank you all for any information you can point me towards.
*bfp mentioned*
Me: 38. Diagnosed PCOs 09, took 'em long enough. Low Thyroid 13.
SO: 41. Diabetic. We are not married yet in the legal sense. 
Together since Feb 09. TTC since Jan 11.
6 Clomid cycles. Mostly BFN one BFP but chemical Aug 12.
IUI #1-3 Menopur and Ovidrel BFN. 
IUI #4 Gonal-F and Ovidrel BFN.
IUI #5 Gonal-F and Ovidrel BFP 9/15 
Maternit21 all clear and a boy!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Job Loss

• I'd contact your OB's office and see if they have a social worker who can help you. If not, the hospital they're affiliated with will have one. There are protocols to help people avoid falling through the cracks like this, but they're not well known. The social worker's job is to know those protocols and help people use them! (One of many hats they wear)

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Also, so sorry to hear about your job loss. :-(

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry about the job situation.  It can't be easy during a pregnancy.

Not sure if any of these are relevant to you but some other things to consider:  
    -If you lost the job due to no fault of your own, you could apply for unemployment insurance benefits.
    -My doctor's office was able to offer us a payment plan when we didn't have maternity coverage last year.
    -We've had a lot of success negotiating prices down with labs.  They tend to have assistance programs too.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • My sister was pregnant with twins before the ACA and her job did not offer benefits. She went almost her entire pregnancy using Planned Parenthood and similar resources. She was finally covered by the daddy's healthcare when he switched jobs at month 7 and he was able to add her even tho they were not married, so at least delivery and all that end stuff was covered.

PP's idea of the social worker is probably a better one, but just throwing ideas out there.

Also very sorry about your job loss.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • all the doctors  I have used did not bill for prenatal services until after delivery, then it was in one lump some.  Perhaps if you called your dr they would be willing to let you keep your appointments while you get everything set up?  If they are waiting to the end to bill, it won't effect them right now.
  • So sorry to hear about your job.  Definitely call your OB's office to see if they can work out a payment plan for you so that you don't have to miss any appointments.  They want you and your baby to get the care you need, so they will likely be willing to work with you.  Best wishes - I hope your situation improves soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"