Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Unique parenting methods: wacky or effective?

bumptarabumptara admin
It’s easy to scoff at these surprising parenting methods before you realize how challenging having kids is. Then, you realize that everything is fair game if it helps!

Five Bumpies shared their wacky parenting methods, like letting baby go diaper-free (really). Remarkably, they actually worked!

What do you think of these methods? Have you tried any crazy parenting methods?

Re: Unique parenting methods: wacky or effective?

• Options
    Interesting article. Really would love to hear from a parent who has never said 'no' to their child. 
  • Options
    Me too! Maybe those parents aren't as rare as we think! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a big fan of two of those: Say something other than "no" and talk to her grown up, and I do a variation of a third: reflect my DD's emotions in a kind and somewhat equal way ("you are VERY upset about this!!!!").

@MelanieBrilliant and @BumpTara, I took it as an intellectual challenge (I love puzzles!) to redirect my child rather than saying "no" and I lead with "do this or that" and generally avoid "don't" completely.  It's habit now.  e.g. Yesterday to my DD 3.5y, "Oh! [pause to think] I see you are rubbing sand on the dining room table.  [pause to think] I am concerned that it will ruin the table.  [pause to think] You could ask for a newspaper or use your play table for that.  Let's clean the table, we'll put the sand in a bowl for now..."  But I believe everything in moderation, so now that DD asks direct questions I use "no" in responses so she can hear it -emphasizing other words if I can- (e.g. "No, you cannot have that now.  Would you like to have it this afternoon?").  So it sounds weird to me when DH says "don't do that".  I ask him, "what do you want her/him to do?"  Although, I did blurt "No!" last week as my toddler DS pulled down a pile of stuff on top of his head. ;)  Caught me off guard.

Interestingly DD says "no" or "don't do that" often.  Must be natural and/or she picks it up elsewhere; e.g. DD says to herself, "This is whining: Moooom, can I haaave that nooooow?  Don't do that, say: Mom, can I please have that now."  (I've never said "stop whining" or "I can't hear you when you whine", only ever "You sound like this... try this..."  Like I said, it's fun... and it slows me down [...pause...] b/c as DD informed me recently I can otherwise be a "hothead". ;)

Do you find you say "no" a lot or more than you'd like?

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @SharonB222 - very insightful. I should learn to be more patient from you. I like your idea to treat 'not saying no' as an intellectual exercise. Thank you for sharing! I definitely say 'no' way too often.
  • Options
    @SharonB222 That's really great advice! Instead of just a short "no," saying "do this or that" helps explain your feelings to your child and gives them positive options. Definitely beneficial for them and it can help create more of a conversation between you both!
  • Options
    BumpTara said:

@SharonB222 That's really great advice! Instead of just a short "no," saying "do this or that" helps explain your feelings to your child and gives them positive options. Definitely beneficial for them and it can help create more of a conversation between you both!

It is also a great way for parents to exercise their mindfullness!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"